Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2022, 09:33 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
that is the naivete of America. What CAN we do for some types of crime? these people are just exercising their freedoms, then decide to commit a crime in the ordinary course of their day.

HOW DO YOU STOP THAT EVER? Without stripping away constitutional rights, assuming one is guilty until proven innocent, or merely ASSUMING someone is up to no good?

whats sad is you take away the punitive aspect - fewer cops, scaredy cat people who step aside when you WALK OUT of a store with a sack of stolen merch, etc., and people fill that power vacuum with opportunity to steal, do mayhem, or harm others. its not all people, just the rotten ones.
Nah, you do it with harsher sentences and capital punishment. Criminals know how quickly and easily the revolving doors of just swing, and they know many will defend and enable them. The violent crime has gotten worse, and it’ll continue to do so with barely any consequences.

The folks that cry that something needs done are the same folks that are afraid to do anything and defend the criminals when the meanie police officers arrest them….and that attitude will continue to make things worse. Until something is done differently folks will continue to reap what they sow.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:02 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Default devil's advocate, in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Nah, you do it with harsher sentences and capital punishment. Criminals know how quickly and easily the revolving doors of just swing, and they know many will defend and enable them. The violent crime has gotten worse, and it’ll continue to do so with barely any consequences.

The folks that cry that something needs done are the same folks that are afraid to do anything and defend the criminals when the meanie police officers arrest them….and that attitude will continue to make things worse. Until something is done differently folks will continue to reap what they sow.

all right, play those cards.....and i'll raise you:

harsher sentences? capital punishment?

whats going to happen when the incarcerated are majority low income, and/or people of color?
we will be right back where we were at the early 2000s: cries of unfairness, why are there many more men of color in jail, or on death row? people on drugs need help! people w/ felonies need a second chance! Sala Udin crying about lack of investment in the most bullet riddled areas.....

you have to start them young - have kiddies understand the basics - MURDER IS WRONG. DRUGS ARE WRONG. VIOLENCE FOR VENGEANCE IS WRONG!

but you, mr. mean republican, you have no compassion and just want to lock them up and throw away the key.

Old 01-30-2022, 07:54 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times
Quote:
you have to start them young - have kiddies understand the basics - MURDER IS WRONG. DRUGS ARE WRONG. VIOLENCE FOR VENGEANCE IS WRONG!

but you, mr. mean republican, you have no compassion and just want to lock them up and throw away the key.
Well, the Progressives are failing. Those who scream about "safe spaces" and the "prison-industrial complex" and "structural racism" have themselves and their misguided policies to blame for exacerbating these problems.

School should be a safe place. Not only physically safe, but also a safe space to teach consequences. If you break the rules, you'll be punished. Learn that in elementary school before people become adults and break the law and go to prison.
But the Progressives think that discipling children is now "racist" - so we need to teach elementary school students that there are no consequences for their misbehavior.

Then those kids become teenagers. Well, Shuman is now closed. Even if those kids as teenagers use guns to commit crimes with, good ol Rich Fitzgerald and Willy McKain and Stevie Zappala will just release them on house arrest. Use a gun as a teenager, and you'll basically just get grounded.

Then, when these people (who have been taught for their entire life that there are no serious consequences for their actions, even if they break the law) pass the age of 18 and they FINALLY end up in prison - then those same arrogant, braindead, entitled, hypocritical Progressives who have coddled these "misunderstood urban youth" their whole lives will THEN cry about how "structural racism" must be to blame when this person is finally imprisoned... but the Progressive is too blind to see how their coddling and shielding these people from any adverse consequences from their poor decisions has ultimately contributed to their incarceration as an adult.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Well, the Progressives are failing. Those who scream about "safe spaces" and the "prison-industrial complex" and "structural racism" have themselves and their misguided policies to blame for exacerbating these problems.

School should be a safe place. Not only physically safe, but also a safe space to teach consequences. If you break the rules, you'll be punished. Learn that in elementary school before people become adults and break the law and go to prison.
But the Progressives think that discipling children is now "racist" - so we need to teach elementary school students that there are no consequences for their misbehavior.

Then those kids become teenagers. Well, Shuman is now closed. Even if those kids as teenagers use guns to commit crimes with, good ol Rich Fitzgerald and Willy McKain and Stevie Zappala will just release them on house arrest. Use a gun as a teenager, and you'll basically just get grounded.

Then, when these people (who have been taught for their entire life that there are no serious consequences for their actions, even if they break the law) pass the age of 18 and they FINALLY end up in prison - then those same arrogant, braindead, entitled, hypocritical Progressives who have coddled these "misunderstood urban youth" their whole lives will THEN cry about how "structural racism" must be to blame when this person is finally imprisoned... but the Progressive is too blind to see how their coddling and shielding these people from any adverse consequences from their poor decisions has ultimately contributed to their incarceration as an adult.
It is an interesting study, these new progressives. It seems they don't watch the local news at all, so they have their safe space due to that, but it makes them incompetent regarding local issues. I don't think they really know what is going on and live in these completely fake worlds. People that don't watch or even look at local news are very weak and really shouldn't be voicing much of an opinion. They are clueless.

I also agree at a young age if you don't have consequences for doing something wrong, you will continue to think there will never be any action taken against you. Students KNOW they can do whatever they want. They used to paddle us and could get physical and our parents knew that we did wrong and had no issue with it. Without the use of physical force, you might as well forget control. I remember a teacher pulling a student down that hall by their hair and parents/board members and so on went nuts over it and the teacher was on leave due to that. Why? Back in my day that would be more normal and sometimes needed to control a crazy student. With the progressives in their fake worlds, they think the student should just stay quietly in the classroom. Are you kidding me? Fake worlds.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...KTPHBQUOSZ2GM/

Old 01-30-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is an interesting study, these new progressives. It seems they don't watch the local news at all, so they have their safe space due to that, but it makes them incompetent regarding local issues. I don't think they really know what is going on and live in these completely fake worlds. People that don't watch or even look at local news are very weak and really shouldn't be voicing much of an opinion. They are clueless.

I also agree at a young age if you don't have consequences for doing something wrong, you will continue to think there will never be any action taken against you. Students KNOW they can do whatever they want. They used to paddle us and could get physical and our parents knew that we did wrong and had no issue with it. Without the use of physical force, you might as well forget control. I remember a teacher pulling a student down that hall by their hair and parents/board members and so on went nuts over it and the teacher was on leave due to that. Why? Back in my day that would be more normal and sometimes needed to control a crazy student. With the progressives in their fake worlds, they think the student should just stay quietly in the classroom. Are you kidding me? Fake worlds.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...KTPHBQUOSZ2GM/
They do have a safe space. The Peoples Republic Of the East End.
Wealthy white liberals can sit in their home office with their graduate degrees hanging on the wall and look at at Murray Avenue or Ellsworth Ave or Reynolds Street and they can come up with their messianic plans to 'save' racial minorities while blaming the racist white working class for all of society's problems.

Their kids arent getting their heads stomped at Allderdice.
Their kids arent getting shot while leaving The Ellis School or Winchester-Thurston.
Nobody is openly selling drugs in Point Breeze.
Nobody is strolling the streets with blatant mental illness and harassing innocent people in Squirrel Hill.

They'll decry the racist and brutal Pittsburgh Police - but oddly they stopped whining about the 'militarization' of police when heavily-armed police saved lives during the tragedy at the Tree of Life. And if anyone suggested moving a Police precinct OUT OF Squirrel Hill, watch the wealthy progressives squirm and squeal.

They are hypocrites who live in fake worlds - the privileged bubbles of a handful of wealthy neighborhoods in the East End Centre of the Universe!!

Old 01-30-2022, 08:55 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
They do have a safe space. The Peoples Republic Of the East End.
Wealthy white liberals can sit in their home office with their graduate degrees hanging on the wall and look at at Murray Avenue or Ellsworth Ave or Reynolds Street and they can come up with their messianic plans to 'save' racial minorities while blaming the racist white working class for all of society's problems.

Their kids arent getting their heads stomped at Allderdice.
Their kids arent getting shot while leaving The Ellis School or Winchester-Thurston.
Nobody is openly selling drugs in Point Breeze.
Nobody is strolling the streets with blatant mental illness and harassing innocent people in Squirrel Hill.

They'll decry the racist and brutal Pittsburgh Police - but oddly they stopped whining about the 'militarization' of police when heavily-armed police saved lives during the tragedy at the Tree of Life. And if anyone suggested moving a Police precinct OUT OF Squirrel Hill, watch the wealthy progressives squirm and squeal.

They are hypocrites who live in fake worlds - the privileged bubbles of a handful of wealthy neighborhoods in the East End Centre of the Universe!!
Lots of truth here. I have to wonder what Gainey is going to do as mayor. You know, he might actually see the bs and move in a better direction. I have to get used to how he speaks, but as long as he gets his message across, I can overlook all the double negatives and poor speaking. That doesn't mean he will be a bad leader. I have a feeling he is going to do a good job the more I watch his reactions to what is going on. I also like that he seems to take his time on answering media questions, by saying, I haven't looked at all the evidence or issue and will give you my answer later. That is a better way than running on emotion. He seems to be logical so far, but he just got in and I wouldn't judge him until after a year in. I guess I am hopeful he is a good mayor. I don't think he lives in a fake world, so that is a plus.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:34 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
all right, play those cards.....and i'll raise you:

harsher sentences? capital punishment?

whats going to happen when the incarcerated are majority low income, and/or people of color?
we will be right back where we were at the early 2000s: cries of unfairness, why are there many more men of color in jail, or on death row? people on drugs need help! people w/ felonies need a second chance! Sala Udin crying about lack of investment in the most bullet riddled areas.....

What happens is grow some cajones and punish those that commit the crime instead of giving into the entitled folks that defend them or you let those folks reap what they sow with where they live getting worse.

That’s an excellent idea but it’s obvious they’re not learning it’s wrong from a young age.

Can’t do the time don’t do the crime.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I have to wonder what Gainey is going to do as mayor. You know, he might actually see the bs and move in a better direction.
I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding Mayor Gainey.
I think that he does have a very unique opportunity, and he could go in one of two directions.

Peduto wanted to be the Mayor of the Peoples Republic of the East End. He was obsessed with pandering to the special interests of wealthy white Progressives in a handful of East End neighborhoods.
Ravenstahl basically didnt even go to work.. Much of the city was left to rot under these two clowns - particularly if Bill couldn't gentrify it for his tech bro fanbase.

Gainey could do some very good things and try to be a Mayor for ALL of Pittsburgh. He's not controlled by the Strip District, Lawrenceville, and Squirrel Hill like Bill was. If he tries to 'get back to basics' and focus on the nuts and bolts of governing and pay attention to the long-neglected parts of the city - he could be VERY popular and be what the Doctor ordered. The fact that he's already pumping the brakes on the development in Oakland gives me some hope about this.

I'm worried that he's gonna pull an Obama though. Where being Black is more important than anything else. If he doubles down on the 'defund the police', send in the social workers, and school discipline is racist - well then, things in this city are gonna go from bad to worse.

I'm really hoping that he tries to be a Mayor for ALL of Pittsburgh and that he focuses on common-sense nuts-and-bolts governance instead of chasing Pie-in-the-sky Progressivism like Peduto.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:59 PM
gg

Sure are a lot of violent activities at schools these days. I am not sure what to make of it. I never remember anything like this in my lifetime, but maybe I am missing something?

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...FMJLXVLHQJDIE/

I hope the officers on duty will not be harmed or sued or whatever. We do need law and order and fast.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:00 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times
Shooting in the suburbs downtown Greensburg

https://triblive.com/local/westmorel...uspect-sought/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh