Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 04:40 PM

366 posts, read 944,192 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm browsing apartment listings in the Pittsburgh area and see "AMI" tagged on a lot of them. Does anyone know the meaning? Is it a real estate managment company or something else?

For example:

Meadow Apartments-Ami
Moorhead Tower-Ami
Falcon Court Apartments - AMI

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:17 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
Good question. Why tag a listing with something nobody understand?

Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 AM

125 posts, read 398,681 times
If I had to guess, I would think it's "August Move-In."
That could be completely wrong, though.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,798 times
I think that it means that there are income requirements to qualify for an apartment. In other words, it is low-income housing. Here is what a quick Google search turned up:

What does “AMI” mean?
AMI stands for Area Median Income. The area median income is used to determine the eligibility of applicants for both federally and locally funded programs. It sets the maximum limit that a household can earn to be eligible for our programs, essentially defining who we can serve given the particular funding source. Income limits are calculated for specific geographic areas. They are based on HUD estimates of median family income with adjustments for family size. For example, one hundred percent of the 2007 area median income for a three-person household in Seattle is $75,600, which means that 50% of the population earned more than $75,600 and 50% of the population earned less."

Last edited by Kippy; 05-18-2008 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Formatting

Old 05-18-2008, 07:03 PM

366 posts, read 944,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
I think that it means that there are income requirements to qualify for an apartment. In other words, it is low-income housing. Here is what a quick Google search turned up:

What does “AMI” mean?
AMI stands for Area Median Income. The area median income is used to determine the eligibility of applicants for both federally and locally funded programs. It sets the maximum limit that a household can earn to be eligible for our programs, essentially defining who we can serve given the particular funding source. Income limits are calculated for specific geographic areas. They are based on HUD estimates of median family income with adjustments for family size. For example, one hundred percent of the 2007 area median income for a three-person household in Seattle is $75,600, which means that 50% of the population earned more than $75,600 and 50% of the population earned less."
Thanks. I don't think it has anything to do with the move-in date as the "AMI" was in the title of the apartment company / real estate company. Kind of weird though...one of the apartments was in the South Side and listed a 2BR for $895...I realize the SS can be expensive but $900 for a 2BR isn't anything to sneeze at regardless of where you live. I'll do some more investigating and let everyone know what I find out.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:23 AM

32 posts, read 99,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
Hello,

I'm browsing apartment listings in the Pittsburgh area and see "AMI" tagged on a lot of them. Does anyone know the meaning? Is it a real estate managment company or something else?

For example:

Meadow Apartments-Ami
Moorhead Tower-Ami
Falcon Court Apartments - AMI

Thanks!
depending on what type of apt you are looking for and what area i'd have to say that if you want something that the landlord will keep up on the maintenance of the building your best bet would be is to find a property that is managed by a company that is listed in the apt rental guide or the apt resource guide checking online can help and craig's list is also a good one but by my experience if you want something nice and comfortable that you can call home i'd recommend the apts that have won awards and such.........the apts listed in the pennysaver and local newspapers wouldn't be a good place to look unless you have a tenant checklist to go by and really know what to look for and what not to get once you see it good luck to you in your apt searching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: