Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 PM

15 posts, read 68,328 times

Advertisements

Anyone here with kids in the North Allegheny school district? I'm considering moving there but don't quite understand the district -- it seems it spans several towns and some schools have "Pittsburgh" in the address, so does that mean they're in "Pittsburgh" proper? (What is "Pittsburgh proper" by the way?) If I want to move to the district, how do I chose in which town to buy?

thanks!
Joda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM

297 posts, read 505,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodalanvista View Post
Anyone here with kids in the North Allegheny school district? I'm considering moving there but don't quite understand the district -- it seems it spans several towns and some schools have "Pittsburgh" in the address, so does that mean they're in "Pittsburgh" proper? (What is "Pittsburgh proper" by the way?) If I want to move to the district, how do I chose in which town to buy?

thanks!
Joda
North Allegheny sd does include several communities, such as wexford, allison park, Bradford Woods, Franklin Park, McCandless, and Marshall Twp. This is NOT in the city of Pittsburgh. It is at the far northern edge of Allegheny County, almost into Butler County. Some of the addresses might say Pittsburgh, but that isn't unsual. It is just the postal address. School districts serving several communities is very common here. Next to North Allegheny is Pine-Richland, which serves Pine Twp and Richland Twp. Quaker Valley serves a TON of little communities. Woodland Hills does the same. Here is a list of the school districts in Allegheny County.

File:Map of Allegheny County Pennsylvania School Districts.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-11-2009, 11:52 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodalanvista View Post

thanks!
Joda
Hi Joda -

One thing you will learn is that, it is comman place for people to call anywhere in Allegheny County "Pittsburgh" even though the places my not reside in the City proper (Meaning within the borders of the City of Pittsburgh)...Alot of the inner-ring suburbs because they're so small uses a Pittsburgh zip code, anything 152-- is considered a "Pittsburgh" zip code I think even the precious, high class MT Lebonon share this....

But people will refer to anything and I do mean anything within the borders of Allegheny County as Pittsburgh....someone who lives in Monroeville will tell someone they live in Pittsburgh when they really dont.

Not sure in any other cities do this....I do know Philly and NYC DO NOT! someone living on the Main Line or in Bucks is Not going to say they live in Philadelphia..Same with NYC westchester or LI resident is not going to say they live in New York City.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:02 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Well, when I'm in Arizona or New York and people ask me where I'm from, I don't say Gibsonia. And I don't say McCandless, I say the Pittsburgh area.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM

285 posts, read 862,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Not sure in any other cities do this....I do know Philly and NYC DO NOT! someone living on the Main Line or in Bucks is Not going to say they live in Philadelphia..Same with NYC westchester or LI resident is not going to say they live in New York City.
Maybe not as many people from other cities do it, but they still definitely do. Just today I met someone who told me they recently moved from Philadelphia. I'm rather familiar with Philadelphia, and I asked which part of Philadelphia, then they admitted to being from West Chester, more than a half an hour from the city.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

One thing you will learn is that, it is comman place for people to call anywhere in Allegheny County "Pittsburgh" even though the places my not reside in the City proper (Meaning within the borders of the City of Pittsburgh)...Alot of the inner-ring suburbs because they're so small uses a Pittsburgh zip code, anything 152-- is considered a "Pittsburgh" zip code I think even the precious, high class MT Lebonon share this....

But people will refer to anything and I do mean anything within the borders of Allegheny County as Pittsburgh....someone who lives in Monroeville will tell someone they live in Pittsburgh when they really dont.

I moved up here from FL and down there no one makes a big deal about whether you live in the city limits or not. I guess because the cities there are more like big suburbs than real cities. But everyone in the greater Orlando, Tampa, etc area say they are from Orlando, Tampa, etc, not from a suburb or small town near the major city.

I don't see why people get so bent out of shape about this up here, maybe it's a northeast thing, but people know where Pittsburgh is so that's why people refer to themselves as living in Pittsburgh. Most people have never heard of Moon, Crafton, Monroeville etc. I think most people just refer to the Greater Pittsburgh area as "Pittsburgh."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh