Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 08:07 AM

220 posts, read 146,760 times

Advertisements

Youngwood is a smaller to medium-sized borough (2 sq. mil) located near the center of Westmoreland County about 34 miles southeast of downtown Pittsburgh, which can be pretty fast time with straight highway access and no traffic. It is just north of the PA Turnpike, I-70, and PA Turnpike 66's New Stanton exit and about 5 miles south of Greensburg, the county seat along U.S. Route 119. It is almost entirely surrounded by Hempfield Township with just a small border with the borough of New Stanton to its southwest and within the Hempfield Area School District.

Youngwood's history began in 1899 when the community was built on land owned by a farmer named John Y. Woods. Then, Woods took his own family name and combined it with his maternal grandfather's name, which was Young. The town then began to grow in the early 20th Century with the use of the Pennsylvania Railroad's Southwest Branch that ran from Greensburg south to Uninotown and Fairchance. In 1900, a large classification yard was built for sorting railroad cars, and this railroad yard provided Youngwood's economic base for many decades. It became a borough in 1902, which was also the year its railroad station that still stands was established. The town gradually grew over the years to reach its peak population of around 4,000 in 1980 and then again in 2000.

Like many older industrial communites in southwestern PA, Youngwood has begun to show its sign of aging in recent years. Its population took a large tumble in the 2010 Census to be at only 3,000. Its decline did taper off a little bit in 2020 though didn't stop. It doesn't really have much in the way of a traditional downtown business district but a handful of businesses. There is a smaller newer shopping center towards its south end that includes a Shop n Save. There is a park and pool as well as a historical society museum that depicts its life as a railyard town in the 20th Century for recreational opportunities. The main campus of Westmoreland County Community College is located right outside the borough's limits in Hempfield Township. Despite its aging, Its proximity to highways as well as many employment opportunities in the New Stanton/Greensburg areas should allow Youngwood to continue to serve as a decent, safe small town for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 07:03 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runpens1 View Post
Youngwood is a smaller to medium-sized borough (2 sq. mil) located near the center of Westmoreland County about 34 miles southeast of downtown Pittsburgh, which can be pretty fast time with straight highway access and no traffic. It is just north of the PA Turnpike, I-70, and PA Turnpike 66's New Stanton exit and about 5 miles south of Greensburg, the county seat along U.S. Route 119. It is almost entirely surrounded by Hempfield Township with just a small border with the borough of New Stanton to its southwest and within the Hempfield Area School District.

Youngwood's history began in 1899 when the community was built on land owned by a farmer named John Y. Woods. Then, Woods took his own family name and combined it with his maternal grandfather's name, which was Young. The town then began to grow in the early 20th Century with the use of the Pennsylvania Railroad's Southwest Branch that ran from Greensburg south to Uninotown and Fairchance. In 1900, a large classification yard was built for sorting railroad cars, and this railroad yard provided Youngwood's economic base for many decades. It became a borough in 1902, which was also the year its railroad station that still stands was established. The town gradually grew over the years to reach its peak population of around 4,000 in 1980 and then again in 2000.

Like many older industrial communites in southwestern PA, Youngwood has begun to show its sign of aging in recent years. Its population took a large tumble in the 2010 Census to be at only 3,000. Its decline did taper off a little bit in 2020 though didn't stop. It doesn't really have much in the way of a traditional downtown business district but a handful of businesses. There is a smaller newer shopping center towards its south end that includes a Shop n Save. There is a park and pool as well as a historical society museum that depicts its life as a railyard town in the 20th Century for recreational opportunities. The main campus of Westmoreland County Community College is located right outside the borough's limits in Hempfield Township. Despite its aging, Its proximity to highways as well as many employment opportunities in the New Stanton/Greensburg areas should allow Youngwood to continue to serve as a decent, safe small town for years to come.

This is a very nice area outside of Pittsburgh. Did it grow with the new census estimates?

Old 06-01-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
This is a very nice area outside of Pittsburgh. Did it grow with the new census estimates?
No, for Westmoreland County, only Hempfield Township, Penn Township had one of the highest in the region, and Rostraver very slightly in the yearly estimates. This seems to be a good area for future growth though with the highway access and opportunities nearby.

Old 06-01-2022, 03:26 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
No, for Westmoreland County, only Hempfield Township, Penn Township had one of the highest in the region, and Rostraver very slightly in the yearly estimates. This seems to be a good area for future growth though with the highway access and opportunities nearby.
What do you think was driving the growth in those areas?

Old 06-07-2022, 04:12 PM

437 posts, read 187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
What do you think was driving the growth in those areas?
Affordable housing and lower property taxes compared to Allegheny County. With easy access to the Turnpike, I-79 and I-70, you have a desirable area when it comes to commuting as well.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
Affordable housing and lower property taxes compared to Allegheny County. With easy access to the Turnpike, I-79 and I-70, you have a desirable area when it comes to commuting as well.
Yeah it's good to see Westmoreland County turning around a little bit for those reasons compared to last decade. Hope it continues. It seems as if it still has a long way to go before it can actually grow as a whole though due to its aging population.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah it's good to see Westmoreland County turning around a little bit for those reasons compared to last decade. Hope it continues. It seems as if it still has a long way to go before it can actually grow as a whole though due to its aging population.

Westmoreland County is where I grew up and I still have an affinity for that county. There is an industrial park going up at Waltz Mill in Sewickley Township. Very close to I-70 and less than five miles from the New Stanton Turnpike interchange. The jobs and tax revenue should infuse some more growth in that area. Sewickley Township is very affordable housing and low property taxes as well for Yough School District.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:19 PM

1,411 posts, read 566,108 times
Quote:
Westmoreland County is where I grew up and I still have an affinity for that county. There is an industrial park going up at Waltz Mill in Sewickley Township. Very close to I-70 and less than five miles from the New Stanton Turnpike interchange. The jobs and tax revenue should infuse some more growth in that area. Sewickley Township is very affordable housing and low property taxes as well for Yough School District.
Is the park at the old Westinghouse site? My mother grew up next door in Yukon. Now there's a town that time has really passed by.

Old 06-09-2022, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
Is the park at the old Westinghouse site? My mother grew up next door in Yukon. Now there's a town that time has really passed by.
Not directly on that site, but across the street, which is called Waltz Mill Road, where empty fields used to be. The old Westinghouse building is still standing. Here is the official site:

https://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/27...t-Westmoreland

I have a relative from Yukon as well. I was recently in Yukon and you're right. Yukon is an old coal mining town, just like Herminie, which is only a few miles away. Both villages have seen better days but they are also have some history when it comes to miners going on strike. Yukon was site of the Magee Mine back in the early 1900s. Herminie was Ocean Coal. Both had miners go on strike which turned violent and even resulted in people dying.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:28 AM

1,411 posts, read 566,108 times
Quote:
Not directly on that site, but across the street, which is called Waltz Mill Road, where empty fields used to be. The old Westinghouse building is still standing. Here is the official site:

https://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/27...t-Westmoreland

I have a relative from Yukon as well. I was recently in Yukon and you're right. Yukon is an old coal mining town, just like Herminie, which is only a few miles away. Both villages have seen better days but they are also have some history when it comes to miners going on strike. Yukon was site of the Magee Mine back in the early 1900s. Herminie was Ocean Coal. Both had miners go on strike which turned violent and even resulted in people dying.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out next time I'm out that way.
I believe the coal mine in Yukon was a Westmoreland Coal Co. site; two of my uncles worked there before WWII, but did not go back after their war service, both in 7th Armored Div.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh