Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 08:03 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
What constitutes us being in a recession? Please explain.

The dollar is at an all time high. More jobs than people to fill. Wages are higher than ever. Gasoline prices are falling. People continue to spend on goods and services.

Is that what you consider a recession now?
oh Liberalparrot83... ye who are incapable of actual independent thought.

Quote:
Almost 70 percent of Americans said in a new poll that they believe that the U.S. economy is getting worse.

The ABC News/Ipsos poll found that 69 percent of respondents said that they think the U.S. economy is getting worse, compared to 12 percent who said that it is getting better.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...getting-worse/
Keep drinking your KoolAid - not sure how thats possible while being permanently masked, yet somehow youve seemed to have mastered that art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 08:41 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Economists take on the two-quarter rule. And the panel was established by conservative President Ronald Reagan. Looks like bidenomics are expansion. According to Bloomberg

Per the article.

“I don’t think that the two-quarter idea has any merit,” Stanford University economist Robert Hall, chair of the committee, said in an interview prior to the report. He said he was unsure if the committee has ever declined to declare a recession after two negative GDP quarters. He declines to comment as a matter of policy on the current economy.

The nonpartisan panel, which was established in 1978 by former Ronald Reagan adviser and NBER president Martin Feldstein, typically takes about a year to decide on a recession call and sometimes almost twice as long. The research organization doesn’t announce its discussions in advance, though former committee members say it’s not close to making any call.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-means-a-slump

So again this isn’t a recession. More jobs than people. Higher wages than ever. People spending like crazy. Dollar stronger than ever
I'm not sure whether you're hilarious or sad.
So you say that the panel was established by conservative President Ronald Reagan, yet the article that you quoted notes that the panel is nonpartisan and was established in 1978 (before Regan was President) by someone who had advised Reagan.

You also quote Bloomberg to pump up 'Bidenomics' - not exactly an unbiased source..

Youre trying to spin things - by trying to say that a conservative group of experts is supporting the historically unpopular Democratic President and by using a source owned by a different Democratic Presidential candidate to make the historically unpopular Democratic President look good.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:46 AM

120 posts, read 132,052 times
Since talking about the recession is the hot topic today, let me give my opinion on it. I have mixed feelings if we are in a recession or not. While inflation is at the highest since the 1980s, mortgage rates are high, and the economy is getting worse, gas prices are going down, and the unemployment rate is at the lowest in a while.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I'm not sure whether you're hilarious or sad.
So you say that the panel was established by conservative President Ronald Reagan, yet the article that you quoted notes that the panel is nonpartisan and was established in 1978 (before Regan was President) by someone who had advised Reagan.

You also quote Bloomberg to pump up 'Bidenomics' - not exactly an unbiased source..

Youre trying to spin things - by trying to say that a conservative group of experts is supporting the historically unpopular Democratic President and by using a source owned by a different Democratic Presidential candidate to make the historically unpopular Democratic President look good.
I’m trying to spin things. Two quarters is a fact. Your media is spinning things.

Brought to you by an investor and pro.

Run along now. Shoo.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:02 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
i actually thought it was THREE quarters of economic contraction = a recession.

six is a depression, that i am pretty sure of.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:36 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i actually thought it was THREE quarters of economic contraction = a recession.

six is a depression, that i am pretty sure of.
It is two. Keep in mind, there is some subjectiveness to it, but we ARE in decline. It can turn around, but a lot of our recovery is fake and propped up by the government. The key to a real recovery is cheap energy and the stupid dems want to forge ahead with green energy this and that. I want that as well, but NOT NOW! What a bunch of buffoons really.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:44 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexZaz. View Post
Hello to all, I was looking at buying in Pittsburgh (not going forward on that plan) and I was wondering why the homes are so cheap. It seems incredibly weird since the economy doesn’t seem horrible. The area is beautiful but it was too gloomy for me and I prefer sunnier climates.
Cheap? You ain't seen nothin'. In the Pittsburgh that I knew, you could buy a decent house in move-in condition in a decent location for $80-90,000. That's not so much the case these days. Why was it so cheap? The simplest reason in the world: it's just not that desirable of a place to live.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:54 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
it's just not that desirable of a place to live.
It really is that simple. Weather sucks, it is depressed, lousy food, pollution, tons of litter everywhere, violence is out of control and no airport to speak of. We aren't exactly doing well. We lost 1/2 of our population and we will never get that back. We are struggling to hang on to 300K people.

I wish the food was better. We don't even have a good pizza place. The prices to eat out are high for what quality you get. We do have a few okay brewpubs though.

Have a great night!

Old 08-07-2022, 08:54 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,589 times
Yeah, it isn't rocket science really. About 10 years ago I saw some hipsters move into a house next to my grandmother on Troy Hill (Reserve Township). It brought a smile to my face. Her house's value did just about double in the last 10 years but it was still super underpriced considering it a nice home, close to a city center in a mid sized US metro. I suspect a lot has to do with the school district, and Shaler>PPS

Old 08-08-2022, 03:19 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Yeah, it isn't rocket science really. About 10 years ago I saw some hipsters move into a house next to my grandmother on Troy Hill (Reserve Township). It brought a smile to my face. Her house's value did just about double in the last 10 years but it was still super underpriced considering it a nice home, close to a city center in a mid sized US metro. I suspect a lot has to do with the school district, and Shaler>PPS
We discovered Troy Hill Reserve this year. What a hidden gem! An old school first ring burb. Decent cheap housing centrally located. Better than Millvale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh