Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 08:54 PM

408 posts, read 231,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Its partially like our airport, this city was built for a certain population and economy size. City is still figuring out how to rightsize itself but its not so easy with a city infrastructure and I don't see the area growing back up to the size it once was.
True. A lot of city folk left for the suburbs and then you got a good bit leaving the county. In 1972 the county had 1.5 million it is down to 1.2 million. The City in 1970 was 520k down to 302k now. We will see larger population gains in the county before the City I think over the next 10 to 15 years (suburbs are were it’s at). The city needs a lot of work to make more residential areas that will match or surpass its suburbs. Yes infrastructure and what to do can take a long time and a lot of money to reengineer / re purpose. The new Airport at least addresses a lot of the 1992 errors and should be a major uplift for the area. Transportation at least has a plan outline all the way to 2045. I’m not sure if the City has developed such a plan like PRT has.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:26 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,733 times
I don't know about the 70s, but into the 90s there was still a lot more retail downtown than there is now. In the early-to-mid 90s my friends and I would take the bus downtown to do some actual shopping. Can you imagine doing that now, or even 15 years ago?

Old 09-05-2023, 05:28 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
Technically the reason why people don’t go downtown to ship is because of Malls from the 80’s (which offer more variety, and luxury (Ross Park Mall), and then got even worse when you can shop online. These is what killed downtown shopping across the country.
I remember Peduto telling people that if they don't like downtown Pittsburgh they can "go to a suburban mall." I guess he got his wish, and then some.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I remember Peduto telling people that if they don't like downtown Pittsburgh they can "go to a suburban mall." I guess he got his wish, and then some.
It is odd that city people seem to be under the impression they can sustain Pittsburgh without wealthier people from the suburbs. City dwellers seem to live in such an odd world where capitalism isn't real to them. They think money just magically appears from the government that feeds them. Well it does for many, but it is peanuts in comparison to the wealthy suburban people that used to come down there and spend hard earned money and create something better. I agree, I don't think people from the burbs are going to bother with Pittsburgh's downtown. I can see many still going to the East End, but there is still a lot of people acting like animals.

Look what is on TV/media now compared to my younger years. The Brady Bunch, Father knows best, the Partridge Family, Leave it to Beaver, The Wonderful World of Disney and the Waltons come to mind. Look at the difference. We are in steep decline with no Bull Elephants/leaders. It is going to just get worse and people want it to. Guilt to be successful? Seems like it. Remember the 80's!!! Wow, fun times and success was the goal. Wonder where rock bottom will look like? I still think we can stop it, but we need some pretty strong smart men to move into leadership roles. What smart man is going to want to lead with our emotionally driven media machine to lead the dopes in protests and running amok. Heck Trump got elected and every city in the US was burned, looted and destroyed. Now cities look sad. They crazy protesting stopped and they did get what they wanted. I don't think an intelligent man will ever be elected again. Very few would ever run and the emotional majority of the people won't want it.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:19 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

Look what is on TV/media now compared to my younger years. The Brady Bunch, Father knows best, the Partridge Family, Leave it to Beaver, The Wonderful World of Disney and the Waltons come to mind. Look at the difference. We are in steep decline with no Bull Elephants/leaders. It is going to just get worse and people want it to. Guilt to be successful? Seems like it. Remember the 80's!!! Wow, fun times and success was the goal. Wonder where rock bottom will look like? I still think we can stop it, but we need some pretty strong smart men to move into leadership roles. What smart man is going to want to lead with our emotionally driven media machine to lead the dopes in protests and running amok. Heck Trump got elected and every city in the US was burned, looted and destroyed. Now cities look sad....

we all need to calm down. i am not disparaging (right word?) anyone's concerns. far from it, since i have called out even my local homies here in the east end because i feel their own actions bring on themselves negative situations.

but this is likely temporary. the world is still in some type of controlled chaos post-pandemic. t he 'dust will settle' and people will, over the course of elections, vote in those brave enough to confront these problems.
probably in the 1970s people thought NYC was dead - it was hemorraging (sp) jobs, losing population, and had vast areas of dilapidation - large swaths of land in the bronx, and sizeable areas of lower manhattan were undesirable and run down.

look at it now!

its a cycle. we collectively need to combat all this by thinking for the common good and hopefully getting leaders who will work on this. along this vein of discussion, i am intrigued by this Rockey guy.

as far as the tv shows mentioned above, i actually have seen some of these! i remember one that was actually excellent, "My Three Sons", because it wasnt happy sappy fake. of course this is entertainment, and you want to lose yourself in it to be entertained, but really, the brady bunch, as much as the first two blondes were smoking hot in the later years, is a badly written show and so unrealistically sweet that it makes your mouth pucker. (id pucker for marsha, though....)

Old 09-05-2023, 09:14 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
...the world is still in some type of controlled chaos post-pandemic.
Look this is very important for you to understand. I lived part time in Florida and more time in PA. The control and changes came from PA. They totally controlled us. That WAS NOT the case in Florida. They shut down like everyone at the very beginning but as soon as they had an understanding they opened back up and let people decide for themselves. That is called freedom. PA had NONE! I lived in Pittsburgh near Tampa. There was NO comparison, so when you say "post pandemic", you are referring to areas like ours that wouldn't even allow us to buy a bottle of wine! For months!!!!! Ohio had to shut its boarder. Post pandemic? Yeah, we are in that, but not everyone is. Why are we losing population? Hmmmm. Leadership.

Sorry, but I am tired of the fake nonsense. Our leaders created all of this including the anti-police thing. We need to either allow it, or not. I'm leaving in two years. I hope I can make it out. The direction we are going is amazing. It seems unreal to me. If you are from the lowest place in our region, I suspect is seems fine. I'm not from the lowest part of our area. I want people to succeed.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:43 PM

1,910 posts, read 736,911 times
I don't recall this in the past:

Downtown panhandler arrested for trying to throw woman onto Parkway East, police say

https://triblive.com/local/downtown-...st-police-say/

Old 09-07-2023, 03:57 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
I don't recall this in the past:

Downtown panhandler arrested for trying to throw woman onto Parkway East, police say

https://triblive.com/local/downtown-...st-police-say/
Glad she had a dog. Wow. That man will be out in a day at most. Heck look at how fast this man that could kill 35% of the entire state of Pennsylvania with his drug haul. Welcome to "the people's will". We MUST continue this path or we will have rioting for over 4 years in every city. Yep. We have surrendered it seems. We gave up.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/new-...BEMQ7NBELK2HM/

Old 09-08-2023, 06:44 AM

10,828 posts, read 4,513,691 times
While I have only been back here for 6 years, I grew up here 0-21ish. In the early 70's, on weekdays in the summer when at dads, he might take me with him to work when he worked for a body shop located near quail, in wilkinsburg, off an alley of sorts behind the colonial pharmacy. I played with the local kids all day and explored and ate at the lunch counter at the colonial. I do nto recall any dire warnings or incidents of any type...today....you could not go there in an AR-V. There are many locales in pitt today where the WORST will happen to you, just from attendance. so we can make no call on property crimes - but violent crimes - its far far worse today.

Remember, not all shootings result in a wound or a death. In fact with todays bangers, the safest place to be is in FRONT of them - they spray lead like a garden hose. If we believe the locales with shotspotter, the average warm summer evening shot count approaches at times 100 - daily but they only hit a dozen or so on average and only kill 5ish a week on average. we had 3 mass shootings over the weekend. Your number WILL come up. and with the activity at the south side and the river and the steeler game coming...that will go up greatly.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:31 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Murder and stabbing last evening. Enough is enough. Crime spree since the new mayor is telling. Where's the outrage? Move away people, move away. When your government allows this stuff to go on and is instead worried about police "accountability" it's time to give up/ The Latte Liberals (Sala Udin's words) in the East End voting for this stuff need some action to happen outside their door. Maybe they'll vote different. God help us all if Sara Inna-whatever is our next County Executive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh