Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 08:24 PM

153 posts, read 114,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieCF View Post
The northside is fantastic for access , walkability, amenities and it is getting better every year with more businesses opening. The historic nature of the houses + the park is a combo that cant be beat anywhere else in the city. We love our own home there - if looking in lower northside, you are compromising a big yard a bit smaller of a house (unless you want to spend huge $$$$), but it also means less maintenance and time spent doing other things you really like to do. Cant recommend it enough!
If I may ask, what part of Northside do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 08:26 PM

153 posts, read 114,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Brookline, all day long.
No issue with Brookline (grew up in South Hills) but these days, it’s just too far out for us.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:47 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plink View Post
No issue with Brookline (grew up in South Hills) but these days, it’s just too far out for us.
Having moved from Brookline to Manchester last year, I have to say the ease of access in Manchester is above and beyond Brookline. I can get from my house in Manchester to Target on McKnight in 10 mins. I can be in Lawrenceville in about the same. I was a devout South Hills person for well over a decade, but it really is a pain in the butt to get any where.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:37 AM

1,910 posts, read 736,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Having moved from Brookline to Manchester last year, I have to say the ease of access in Manchester is above and beyond Brookline. I can get from my house in Manchester to Target on McKnight in 10 mins. I can be in Lawrenceville in about the same. I was a devout South Hills person for well over a decade, but it really is a pain in the butt to get any where.
It's certainly true of Brookline and Dormont. Not true of other South Hills suburbs unless your destination is the East End. Believe it or not, most people don't need or desire to go there. I can't remember the last time I was there. Downtown used to be a frequent destination, but its appeal has waned. Even then, it doesn't take long.

And we don't live in shots fired neighborhoods.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:32 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
It's certainly true of Brookline and Dormont. Not true of other South Hills suburbs unless your destination is the East End. Believe it or not, most people don't need or desire to go there. I can't remember the last time I was there. Downtown used to be a frequent destination, but its appeal has waned. Even then, it doesn't take long.

You suggested Brookline and then admit is is not good for getting anywhere quickly, then rattle off something about southern suburbs and not needing to get to the places the OP talked about. Toss in a little "shots fired" comment for good measure. Job well done!

Old 01-30-2024, 09:57 AM

Duh. You said Manchester is convenient to a single store on McKnight. I'm within 10 minutes of many shopping areas in Bethel Park. I don't have to go to Target though I could. I'm a mile away from groceries, restaurants and a Walmart. I'm about 10 minutes from South Hills Village. Then, of course, there is South Park, another 10 minute drive at most. All my medical appointments are in a 5 minute drive at the Bethel Park Wellness Center.

What does Brookline have? Mexican groceries. Dormont has a Kuhn's. Both are not close to any shopping, but they have a few restaurants. Manchester is probably worse off. But you can drive to the East End? OK why not live there?

Once you don't have to go downtown to work, convenience is found in the suburbs.

Old 01-30-2024, 10:15 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Duh. You said Manchester is convenient to a single store on McKnight. I'm within 10 minutes of many shopping areas in Bethel Park. I don't have to go to Target though I could. I'm a mile away from groceries, restaurants and a Walmart. I'm about 10 minutes from South Hills Village. Then, of course, there is South Park, another 10 minute drive at most. All my medical appointments are in a 5 minute drive at the Bethel Park Wellness Center.

What does Brookline have? Mexican groceries. Dormont has a Kuhn's. Both are not close to any shopping, but they have a few restaurants. Manchester is probably worse off. But you can drive to the East End? OK why not live there?

Once you don't have to go downtown to work, convenience is found in the suburbs.
People who live in the city don't try and convince people looking to relocate to somewhere with new-build houses and "good schools" that they really should rethink things. I don't know why you repeatedly do the opposite.

Different folks have different preferences. There's nothing wrong with that. Anyone who has worked as a realtor can tell you they don't keep clients if they keep trying to steer them to the neighborhoods they prefer rather than the neighborhoods that fit the homebuyer.

Old 01-30-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
People who live in the city don't try and convince people looking to relocate to somewhere with new-build houses and "good schools" that they really should rethink things. I don't know why you repeatedly do the opposite.

Different folks have different preferences. There's nothing wrong with that. Anyone who has worked as a realtor can tell you they don't keep clients if they keep trying to steer them to the neighborhoods they prefer rather than the neighborhoods that fit the homebuyer.
I was correcting misinformation about the convenience of certain city neighborhoods. Realtors wouldn't do that either.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:13 PM

17 posts, read 12,679 times
Quote:

Wondering what you think gives you the right to disparage peoples neighborhoods?

Old 01-31-2024, 07:16 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:

I'll stick up for Reggie here

He's actually correct. Over the past two years I avoid downtown if I have to. Which is sad. All I'll mention is tents. But yeah, everything in the South Hills is walkable. A few more hills though. Brookline is blessed with Pita Land and Dormont with Mintt Indian. I'm almost never in the East End. It used to be for the Food Coop but I can't afford that place anymore. Construction Junction maybe.. It's all preferences that's all. Brookline though is one of the last ungentrified city neighborhoods. Kind of old school, the way I remember it. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh