Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 17,406 times

Advertisements

I would like to know some more about the schools in Pittsburgh. We may be moving to Pitt. early summer and finding a good school district is our #1 priority. I understand that Mt. Lebanon and the North Hills have excellent schools, but I would appreciate any information that someone out there may have to offer. We would rather steer clear of the burbs if possible but will settle if that is where the best schools are. My husband is a high school English teacher and we are huge proponents of public education and will not consider private school (not to mention most teacher salaries don't allow for it anyways ).
My questions are: Are they any other areas close to the city aside from Mt. Lebanon with decent schools? Are there any magnet schools that would be worth checking out? What neighborhoods should we avoid in terms of their school districts?
Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 02:23 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
I grew up in Ross and was one of about 800 students graduating from North Hills H.S. in the late 1970s. There are now about 400 students in a North Hills graduating class; the North Hills school board just voted to CLOSE three of the district's seven elementary schools because of continuing enrollment declines and the expense of maintaining (literally) crumbling older buildings. If you can afford to buy in Mt. Lebanon, North Allegheny, or Upper St. Clair, I would recommend any of those districts over North Hills. I would likewise steer clear of the City of Pittsburgh schools.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:58 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,976 times
Shaler Township Schools - suburban but, close to the city.

Hampton Township, Pine Richland, North Allegheny, Fox Chapel - these are all good school districts in the north suburbs.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 PM

14 posts, read 57,246 times
Default Pittsburgh schools

I think you would like Moon Township very much. They have an excellent school district. It is not a small community setting like Sewickley is. It is close to everything, in my opinion. Not as close as being in the city, but it is only 20 minutes to downtown Pittsburgh. It is right near the airport. Robert Morris University is there for continuing education opportunities.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 17,406 times
Thanks for all the information. We live in Charleston, SC right now and magnet schools are very popular down here because of the poor schools. Is the same true for Pittsburgh and if so, does anyone know the names and locations for some of the better ones? Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:45 PM

291 posts, read 1,361,121 times
Honestly, do not send your child to any pgh city school...please!

Old 01-25-2007, 11:58 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times
We are moving soon and our son will be attending Minadeo Elementary School in Pittsburgh. Gasp! A public school!

He is moving from an extremely non-diverse small town in the midwest to Pittsburgh Public Schools. He is 8 and is excited to meet people from other cultures. He is a bit obsessed with meeting Native American's due to his current chapter in social studies.

I just hope he doesn't go overboard and ask too many questions. I didn't realize how naive and sheltered he has been until this move.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
You're not going to find Native Americans in Pittsburgh.
And precious few Hispanics, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indian (from India), Chinese, Japanese, Thai, middle Eastern, etc.
Diversity is basically black and white, with white being heavily concentrated in Italian, Polish, German, and Irish.
Pittsburgh is, in essence, a midwestern city.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
For those interested in knowing the best schools, I think it's wise to just provide a link to the following website with the Allegheny County school rankings:

http://www.psk12.com/rating/USthreeR...untyID_20.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh