Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM

209 posts, read 820,719 times

Advertisements

There are schools everywhere in the country.
That doesn't explain why your taxes are so darn high.

Fed Income Tax
State Tax
Local Wage Tax
Sales Tax
and Insane Property Taxes

Maybe you have too many schools or you are spending too much money on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:24 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
Personally, I find the idea of daily commuting from outside Allegheny County into either Oakland or Downtown unacceptable. Even if you discount the price of gas, you still have to deal with the region's poor transportation infrastructure. Yuck.
That's a very valid point. I think anywhere in the United States, it just makes sense to live close to where you work -- *if* impossible. In Pittsburgh, the infrastructure because of the hills and rivers does make it difficult to get around. Not to mention, since it's not a newer city, it's working with what is already here. Kinda hard to build new highways over established neighborhoods...
I have to admit, the zoo is a place I'd go back to every year, but the drive there was painful coming from the south hills.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 07-28-2008 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Did you go 28 to the Highland Park Bridge, or did you come up through East Liberty/Larimer?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Did you go 28 to the Highland Park Bridge, or did you come up through East Liberty/Larimer?
I'm pretty sure 28... and we ran into construction somewhere. But I honestly do not know the area well enough to say for sure. Especially because I was not driving. Had I been driving, I would remember.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post

You sorta hit the nail-on-the-head with the last statement. Here's a story from a couple weeks ago about why property taxes are so high and what the schools have to do with it...hope that explains some.

Local Economy And Your Money, Part 3: Why Property Taxes Are So High - Money News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/money/16834586/detail.html - broken link)

Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
That's a very valid point. I think anywhere in the United States, it just makes sense to live close to where you work -- *if* impossible. In Pittsburgh, the infrastructure because of the hills and rivers does make it difficult to get around. Not to mention, since it's not a newer city, it's working with what is already here. Kinda hard to build new highways over established neighborhoods...
I have to admit, the zoo is a place I'd go back to every year, but the drive there was painful coming from the south hills.
But at the same time it's somewhat nonsensical to think that if I worked at Pitt and I bought a house in Oakland, and then if I took a job at Penn State Beaver, I should sell my Oakland home and buy one in Monaca...

People change jobs and DON'T move and people buy homes and don't change jobs... putting the two together seems logical, and yet it rarely works that way.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:14 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post

Fed Income Tax
State Tax
Local Wage Tax
Sales Tax
and Insane Property Taxes

If you figure out the total average tax burden, local and state in all forms, as a percentage of average income, it actually isn't particularly high in Pittsburgh as compared to other medium-large urban areas.

However, as others have pointed out the distribution of the tax burden is relatively flat, which I would agree is not good (I favor more progressive taxation).

Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But at the same time it's somewhat nonsensical to think that if I worked at Pitt and I bought a house in Oakland, and then if I took a job at Penn State Beaver, I should sell my Oakland home and buy one in Monaca...

People change jobs and DON'T move and people buy homes and don't change jobs... putting the two together seems logical, and yet it rarely works that way.
Oh right, I agree. I was talking mainly about buying your first house. Or if you are a newcomer to the area and looking for a place to buy or rent. I should have explained myself better. Darn computer chit-chats, I forget to go into more detail.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 07-29-2008 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 AM

357 posts, read 889,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I don't think it would be nonsensical to consider moving when you are faced with a daily 75 mile (round trip) commute on our highway system, especially if you see it being a long term issue that significantly reduces your quality of life.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp View Post
I don't think it would be nonsensical to consider moving when you are faced with a daily 75 mile (round trip) commute on our highway system, especially if you see it being a long term issue that significantly reduces your quality of life.
Not to be hyper critical -- but it's only 50 miles. And it wasn't too bad of a commute -- I used to live in Monaca and work in the Strip... but I have to admit -- I was going in way off hours.

And I couldn't think of two colleges that weren't close together in Pittsburgh.

And London -- I just hear and see that explanation all the time from the anti-suburban elite (by the way guys -- JUST JOKING) and it's one that doesn't ring true. When you live in a neighborhood you form ties to that neighborhood, friends, neighbors, shopping -- more so when you buy a home -- you might get involved in the local politics and your kids agre going to school there.... and you don't want to give that up to move closer to work because you get a new job.

And people job hop nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh