Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Look at how 279 just split the North Side, but it helped us create the hellhole of Wexford........
Screw the North side... I like Wexford much better anyway...

For that matter screw the South Side, East End, and West Ends as well...

I say build more bypasses...

Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
For this metro to grow and prosper we need rail lines. We need to utilize the old rail lines along the rivers, and we need to concentrate on TOD development which would be perfect for the towns along the rivers.
What we need is JOBS to get this area prospering again. What good is great public transportation if there is no work?

You're obviously a great advocate for urban living, but NOT EVERYONE can live in the city. My business and my wife's business are located in the suburbs. Why would I want to live in the City and commute to the North. Makes sense to me to live near my clients.

And you need to rethink the Center City concept of business in today's world. I know very few people who work downtown anymore. It's either suburban industrial parks or home office. The world has changed, the expression, "Just like downtown", which I heard growing up here used to mean something. Now, it's just an old phrase, kinda like "When we put a man on the moon."

As to using the rails, that was done in the 50's and 60's. I grew up riding the trains, great way to travel. But other than the East, I don't believe any rails run into the City.

I want this area to prosper as much as you do, I just choose to live 7 miles north of Dahntahn.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjost7 View Post
I know what you mean. I too have gone fast in the Squirrel Hill tunnels late at night with little traffic on the highway. The "blame" is on those who planed/designed/funded the Squirrel Hill tunnels years ago. I wish I could explain this better, but for whatever reason, when a travel lane has no space beside it (a shoulder) drivers need more space between cars. It's not that we can't drive fast through the tunnels when there's nobody else around, it's that the tunnel can't handle all the cars, the same way a too-small pipe or hose can't, for example, drain a large swimming pool as fast as a big one can.

But I also agree with you a little bit. If all drivers were, say, the best professional race car drivers and all drove the best cars, then the tunnels would probably handle more traffic, albeit less than the open freeway.

I'd also like better public transportation in Pittsburgh. A transit tunnel for busses under Oakland would be nice. I've heard this idea from a friend. They could use low emission natural gas busses and save on travel time.
You don't have to be a pro race car driver, you have to have realize, however, there is more to driving your car then just getting in, turning the key, and go.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:06 PM

283 posts, read 597,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Screw the North side... I like Wexford much better anyway...

For that matter screw the South Side, East End, and West Ends as well...

I say build more bypasses...
Is this post for real, or is this just sarcasm?

If you seriously feel this way, I don't know what to say. How could someone even say this if they are a suburbinite that hates going to the city. The city is the heart of the metro, and to fix the metro, you got to have a nice city.

I seriously don't think this is for real. This has to be a joke. Nobody is this stupid. I met a lot of dumb suburbinites in my day, but nobody is this dumb. Also, nobody would like Wexford over Pittsburgh's east end neighborhoods.

Lets see, Applebees? Shadyside? TGI Fridays? Squirrel Hill? Strip malls? Old architecture?

I have a iq of 50, I choose Applebees, TFI Fridays, strip malls, and Wexford too!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrian12 View Post
there is a tunnel monster that lurks in all of pittsburgh tunnels and will snatch u up if you go to fast through the tunnel.
if you slam on the brakes before you get in the tunnel it will scare the monster away

i still like my answer better
LoL

Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Is this post for real, or is this just sarcasm?...I seriously don't think this is for real. This has to be a joke. Nobody is this stupid. I met a lot of dumb suburbinites in my day, but nobody is this dumb.
Sheesh!...My posts are always real...

Maybe a smart guy like you could explain to dumb little ole me... how 75% of Allegheny County lives outside of the city (not to mention 90% of the wealth)... but screw them.

Help an idiot like myself understand how good policy is ..."Screw efficient commerce cause I hate TGIF. We may be reducing the flow of goods and services across the metro by 50%... but that's ok cause I think 100 year old houses are pretty"....

Sometimes I'm just so dumb... maybe you can enlighten me

Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
After reading the above, I am done with this Pittsburgh board.

Moderator cut: linking to other forums is not allowed

There is no intellectual stimulation here. This board has reached a new low,and it is time to leave for good.

Last edited by Yac; 01-14-2009 at 02:04 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Well, after reading your earlier post in this thread, I can only conclude that, in your mind, intellectually-stimulating and intelligent-discussion means we must all religiously adhere to the Awesomo.2000 mantra:

100 year old buildings crammed next to little houses with miniature bathrooms == good
4 Bedroom houses, good schools, and conveniently centralized shopping == bad

How dare anyone disagree...

Seriously dude... your not living in reality. The truth is that most white collar suburbanites view public transportation as "poor people carriages". The truth is that Wexford probably generates 10 times per person the wealth that the city does. The truth is that companies like Westinghouse would have left the region had it not been for 279 ripping the North Side in half.

Here in the real world, bulldozing old neighborhoods to make way for infrastructure that new neighborhoods need == progress and a better standard of living for everyone.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
This has gone too far off topic.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh