Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 PM

165 posts, read 662,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
While I'm not a nurse, so I can't dispute any salary figures, I find this seriously hard to believe, unless you shop exclusively at Whole Foods or the like...
Ok I might have exaggerated but on average we found items to be a $1.50 to $3.00 more. Were not talking meat either, things like frozen pizza, mustard, ketchup. The only grocery store we have been to is none other than Pittsburgh's Giant Eagle! We didn't even shop at whole foods when we lived in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
$840 is a lot for an apt. How many bedrooms do you have? My DD is paying $650 for a 2 BR in what is considered a good neighborhood in Denver (good for young people, that is). It's surprising, b/c housing is definitely more expensive to buy here. However, it's all apples to oranges. Housing tend to be newer here, even in the older neighborhoods (if that makes sense).

Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 PM

It's two bedrooms 1200 sq feet and has been completely renovated, central air, tile floors etc. Maybe thats why it is more, all I know is we looked at over 40 different places and most of them cost more and were complete dumps. I think a lot of that had to deal with location though.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM

374 posts, read 1,284,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
While I'm not a nurse, so I can't dispute any salary figures, I find this seriously hard to believe, unless you shop exclusively at Whole Foods or the like...
No, they are right I could never go to Giant Eagle and not spend one hundred dollars or more. I am a father of two and a child on the way and I find this a very difficult. Although the cost of living is low the salaries still doesn't help in most cases.

EX: About two years ago I was making 11.49 an hour that translates to be around 24k a year. Now the math part 80hrs got me to a paycheck a little bit under 650. I pay 600 for rent in Apartment building that transferring ownership now. So the owner doesn't want to do crap. The good thing though is that I don't Pay Gas, water, and sewage. The bad everything runs off electric. In the winter its ok the electricity bill only averages 78-80 dollars. In the summer that bill almost triples on the account of the air conditioners. My car insurance for both car is only 116 dollars ( yes liability), My school loan after I consolidated them totals 78.92, CONcast cable is around 180 dollars, two cell phones 94 dollars, Kays credit card bill 55.00 dollars and about 100 dollars on gas each month.

So after taxes, take home for me was 1300 minus all my bills I am left with a measly 170. If I was a single parent I would be in trouble.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
No, they are right I could never go to Giant Eagle and not spend one hundred dollars or more. I am a father of two and a child on the way and I find this a very difficult. Although the cost of living is low the salaries still doesn't help in most cases.

EX: About two years ago I was making 11.49 an hour that translates to be around 24k a year. Now the math part 80hrs got me to a paycheck a little bit under 650. I pay 600 for rent in Apartment building that transferring ownership now. So the owner doesn't want to do crap. The good thing though is that I don't Pay Gas, water, and sewage. The bad everything runs off electric. In the winter its ok the electricity bill only averages 78-80 dollars. In the summer that bill almost triples on the account of the air conditioners. My car insurance for both car is only 116 dollars ( yes liability), My school loan after I consolidated them totals 78.92, CONcast cable is around 180 dollars, two cell phones 94 dollars, Kays credit card bill 55.00 dollars and about 100 dollars on gas each month.

So after taxes, take home for me was 1300 minus all my bills I am left with a measly 170. If I was a single parent I would be in trouble.
Thanks for giving supporting evidence, now I don't feel like I'm the only one who feels like it is hard to make a living here

Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM

374 posts, read 1,284,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
Thanks for giving supporting evidence, now I don't feel like I'm the only one who feels like it is hard to make a living here

No, Problem. Although I make good money now it still feels like I'm getting paid 11.49 . Whats the point of a raise though when every year umpc ups it's health insurance?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 AM

57 posts, read 186,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliempdx View Post
Ok I might have exaggerated but on average we found items to be a $1.50 to $3.00 more. Were not talking meat either, things like frozen pizza, mustard, ketchup. The only grocery store we have been to is none other than Pittsburgh's Giant Eagle! We didn't even shop at whole foods when we lived in Portland.
Cost of living gets you in sneaky ways here. What I've found is the only real savings over PDX is the cost of buying a house. (Taxes on that house are another story.) Rents are about market rate, and you have to be careful that you don't end up in a place that the owner is unable or unwilling to maintain.

Utilities used to be much cheaper here than in Portland, but they may have caught up. And you don't get billed for garbage collection (see taxes, above)

Health insurance for the self-employed is much more expensive here (again, it may have caught up) However, the quality of care has been much better overall here, in my experience. In Portland an ER visit with a sick or injured kid meant waiting hours every time. Here, we've been seen and treated within an hour every time but once.

Groceries? I never thought I'd hear myself saying I missed Fred Meyer and Safeway. GE is on the expensive side- I've found things for less here at TJs and Costco and in the Strip - unfortunately, there's no one place where everything is cheaper. However, from what I saw there this summer, grocery costs are flying up in Portland too.

Gas is a mite cheaper, but the hills mean worse MPG than Portland. Downtown parking and public transportation...**cry**

Old 08-28-2008, 07:34 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I rarely go to Giant Eagle for groceries because it tends to be more expensive. (Like, a week's worth of groceries for me at GE will be $50, and other stores will be $35.) Luckily I live near a Kuhns and a Foodland, so I end up not going to the Iggle unless they have something the others don't.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM

11 posts, read 47,082 times
yeah- it is looking like the RN salaries are lower in Pgh- I'm an APRN (or CRNP in Pgh) and it looks like they pay about 30/hour-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh