Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM

10 posts, read 24,609 times

Advertisements

I've heard wonderful things about Columbus but I have options. My choices are Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Northern KY.
Can somebody tell me the pros and cons of Pittsburgh? Should I consider looking there or should I stick with Columbus?
I'm getting cold feet I guess. I live in El Paso, TX and it was 75 degrees yesterday and we were out playing golf. I know that is not going to happen with any of my options but any guidance is appreciated. I love the outdoors and especially golf. We have a 10 month old little girl. We love food and wine. I just picked up scrapbooking. I guess everyone with a baby does for a while but I really enjoy it. Pretty much home bodies but like to go out every once in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 PM

799 posts, read 1,290,424 times
Default Look Around

Give Pittsburgh a look. I'd recommend Indianapolis. And I've heard good things about Columbus, as well. I don't know much about Cincy other than its topography is a lot like Pittsburgh's and a good friend of mine really enjoyed living in the city.

Pittsburgh is a great place to raise a family and if you like playing golf, it is the best of your list. Actually, golf is big in the Burgh. However, you obviously know that you won't find anything like El Paso weather in the Ohio River Valley.

I can't say that the other cities you list are so much better than Columbus that you should jump ship. I'm partial to Pittsburgh, but I think that's more a matter of personal taste.

When you say "Northern KY", do you mean Louisville? Or anywhere in N. Kentucky?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:03 PM

Somewhere on the OH KY border would be good. I'm told there are tax advantages to living on the KY side.
How is the housing market in Pittsburgh? I've looked on the internet but really can't tell what's going on. I know in Columbus the market has seen better days.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareninelptx View Post
Somewhere on the OH KY border would be good. I'm told there are tax advantages to living on the KY side.
How is the housing market in Pittsburgh? I've looked on the internet but really can't tell what's going on. I know in Columbus the market has seen better days.
For the region you are referencing, the Pittsburgh real estate market is quite strong. If you are hoping to build up some equity, then Pittsburgh is your best bet among the places you list.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Thank you so much. Pittsburgh was my first choice anyway. Can you recommend any golf communities?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. Pittsburgh was my first choice anyway. Can you recommend any golf communities?
I'd bet some of the other posters here could do a better job of fielding your question. No particular community stands out to me, but you might benefit from reading about Oakmont just to get a sense of the golf scene in the Burgh:

Pop City - Oakmont: Small Town America, Big Time Golf

Old 01-26-2009, 07:03 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,939,919 times
The last couple of summers i've worked at a golf course in Ohio, near the PA border, and i always hear about Oakmont. I think you'll find that there are plenty of courses all over Western PA and Eastern Ohio. Surprisingly our two states both have a very high percentage of golf courses. Every year we get a group of guys that make the hour and fifteen minute drive to my hometown of Cortand, Ohio to play golf. Here is a list of course in the Pittsburgh area Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Golf Courses

Ohio and PA are also have most of the drive-in theaters in the U.S., so that's a cool fact i thought i would share. I"m a fountain of useless knowledge.

As for comparing the other cities, i guess it all depends on what you are looking for. I think cities like Pittsburgh and Cinci have a cooler look and feel to them. I don't like sprawling cities like C-bus, i've been there enough to know i don't like it. Also, i see you like good food. From what i know about Columbus they have lots of food options, but they are all chains. I think you will find more non-chain/family restaurants in Pittsburgh. I haven't been to the other cities to be able to compare. Pittsburgh has a pretty large italian population so i'm betting you can get some really good italian and wine compared to Columbus.

I don't want to totally turn you away from C-bus, but i just don't like it. If you like new homes, lots of big box stores, etc, Columbus might be for you. I'm assuming if you move there you will want to live in the burbs due to the school situation. There nice parts to the city itself, but i don't like the region as a whole.

When i comes to weather, Pittsburgh and C-bus are pretty similar, Cinci, Kentucky and Indy are maybe a few degrees warmer in the winter and get a little less snow, but for me that wouldn't matter. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by CortlandGirl79; 01-26-2009 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Default International Wine Festival

Quote:
We love food and wine.
Then you'll love the seventh annual Pittsburgh Wine Festival.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
Some of the golf course communities in Pittsburgh are Nevillewood, Diamon Run and Treesdale. Also, I lived in Columbus for three years and loved it. I think golf may be bigger there. Columbus is a newer city. Not may older neighborhoods. If you like those look at Grandview, Upper Arlington and Bexley. It is relatively flat. Cincy is also very nice. My sister lives in Mason, which is north of the city. It a is booming area. There is nothing in Pittsburgh that compares to it. It puts Cranberry to shame. Also, both Cincy and Columbus have better roads since they have beltways.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
When you say "Northern KY", do you mean Louisville? Or anywhere in N. Kentucky?
Northern KY usually refers to the southern suburbs of Cincinnati--the Greater Cincinnati airport is actually in Northern Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh