Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,487 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in an apartment that has an electric wall AC/heat unit that blows warm air. The problem is that cold air leaks in while it's off. In the past couple of days when the temp is around or below zero my apartment is very cold even when the heat is turned to the max. Are there any laws that require the apartment to be at a minimum temperature even if heating is not covered in the rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 04:24 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker07652 View Post
Hi, I live in an apartment that has an electric wall AC/heat unit that blows warm air. The problem is that cold air leaks in while it's off. In the past couple of days when the temp is around or below zero my apartment is very cold even when the heat is turned to the max. Are there any laws that require the apartment to be at a minimum temperature even if heating is not covered in the rent?
Heat must go on when temp goes below 45 degrees.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Heat must go on when temp goes below 45 degrees.
Do you mean that the temperature in the apartment must be at a minimum of 45 degrees, or that the heating must be turned on when the outside temperature is below 45 degrees? My heating unit is controlled by the tenant, not by a central control.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:56 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker07652 View Post
Do you mean that the temperature in the apartment must be at a minimum of 45 degrees, or that the heating must be turned on when the outside temperature is below 45 degrees?
The latter. It is supposed to be 65 indoors. I lived in a building once where the heat went on when it was 45 outside. Somehow that was supposed to balance out, but there were a number of days in April and October when it was warmer outside than in.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:03 PM

778 posts, read 839,965 times
I lived in a house with a heater like that once. It was either on or off, no thermostat, so you couldn't just leave it on all night while you were sleeping, you'd boil. Or leave it on all day while you were out of the house. It was awful and unsafe and we would routinely wake up in the morning with it below freezing inside the house.

I would check with... I'm not sure who. The building inspection office? Because I would really really hope that that kind of set-up is not, in fact, up to code for a rental property. You need a thermostat.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,673 times
Have you contacted your landlord? Do you have a thermostat inside?

Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
Where is the cold air coming in from? You might need to plug up some drafts.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:31 PM

778 posts, read 839,965 times
If the situation is the way I'm thinking it is, this apartment for all intents and purposes has no heat. It has a giant space heater with no thermostat, but no furnace. At least, that's what I am getting from the OP and that is exactly the situation I had when I lived in Maryland. It doesn't matter how well insulated your apartment is, when it's 12 degrees outside and you have no heat, it gets cold inside.

I wound up living in a place like this because the original propane furnace broke and it was so old that replacement parts no longer existed for it. So our landlord's solution was to just give us a large window unit that was both an air conditioner and a space heater. No thermostat. You turned it on and then you turned it off, manually. You had to turn it off completely before you left the house and also when you went to bed or else it would be on and running at full blast the whole time you were out or asleep. Meaning the house could either be about 90 degrees (and your electric bill about a billion dollars) when you woke up in the morning, or below freezing. Those were the two options.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:33 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Even low cost space heaters these days have thermostats to control them. get one (or two).

Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Bunker, I really do hope you are not responsible for snow shovelling.

And depending on your responses, if it is an on/off you control, you will have to leave it on for a while to have it eventually "catch up". Thankfully, I do have my own thermostat (for AC/heat), but I like to leave it off as long as tolerable. Its gotten down to a nippy 58 deg. in my studio. But for prolonged periods when I am at home, and sweaters aren't doing it, I have to raise the thermostat - but it takes HOURS for it to make the place somewhat warm.

Sorry for your problem - this probably affects your sleep, your mood, your day at work.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh