Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,672 times

Advertisements

Hey All!

I am relocating to the Pitsburgh area this summer. I grew up there, but haven't lived there in 25 years -- so things have changed. I grew up in Allegheney County -- but I am not keen on paying those taxes.

We are looking at areas right now online. We'd like a suburban to rural area that has good houses without breaking the bank. We have kids in High School, too.

Someone suggested Burgettstown to us. They said the High School there is really good. We see houses in Smith, Burgettstown, and Hanover Twp -- all of which go to Burgettstown High School.

I saw this thread on here: relocating to Washington Cty / Burgettstown...?

In which a poster had some bad things to say about Burgettstown. Does anyone share her feelings? Is it a bad place to live? Would this include Smith and Hanover? The crime stats for Burgettstown sure seem to indicate it is a safe place to live ... but nothing beats talking to a native.

Any and all comments are welcome.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
I don't live in Burgettstown but I dated someone from there for awhile. As far as I could tell, Burgettstown meets your "rural-suburban" qualifications but a majority of areas outside of Pittsburgh could meet those.

I don't think there is any major crime going on in Burgettstown but it is a small town so it was an everyone knows everyone kinda place...sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not.

There's not really much going on in the area...you have your IGA for groceries and McDonald's... for the mall and big box stores you're going to Robinson or Washington. For quick runs to Wal Mart and stuff...Weirton, WV or Steubenville, OH.

I don't know that I would call the high school "good" but I'm sure it's alright. I don't think it would be among the best in Washington County... Peters Township would take the cake on that one.

I think that's all I got...maybe someone that lives there can help more.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
I don't know that I would call the high school "good" but I'm sure it's alright. I don't think it would be among the best in Washington County... Peters Township would take the cake on that one.

I think that's all I got...maybe someone that lives there can help more.
THANKS!

I wonder what the difference is between good and all right for the school? Could you give me more on that?

Also:

Was it easy getting in and out? I'm guessing you made the drive a lot... did traffic back up much? I mean, if I need to shoot to Robinson Towne Center or the airport... I pretty muich get a straight shot? Or do you know?

Thanks again for helping me out!

PS: Any thoughts on Butler County?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:47 AM

What I meant between "good" and "alright" is that the education students receive there is probably fine to get them into college and the real world. For "good" I simply meant that people aren't relocating to Burgettstown based on their school district. Know what I mean? A lot of people flock to Peters, Mt. Lebanon, North Allegheny, Upper St. Clair, Fox Chapel, etc. because they have a reputation on their school districts. These are also higher priced communities. So I don't believe there is anything wrong with the Burgettstown School District, I just meant that it's not what Burgettstown is necessarily attracting residents for.

Traffic isn't really a problem in Burgettstown unless there is a big concert going on at Post-Gazette Pavilion. Then you will see heavy delays on the on/off ramps of US-22, but there are shortcuts around all of that such as using Old-22 and what not. It is fairly easy to get in and out... 22 is only a few miles from the center of town which can take you to Robinson, or getting on 22 to get to 576 (Airport Connector) is easy, as well.

Butler County is fine, as well. It really just depends on what you're looking for or looking to be near. Butler County I think is pretty comparable to Washington County (although Washington is a bit bigger). But you have the city of Butler which I would compare to the city of Washington. Peters Township in Washington I would compare to Cranberry Township in Butler. And then there's the smaller suburban-rural towns that are too many to name. A lot of people live in Butler County for it's proximity to I-76 or for the commute into the city from the North (no tunnel, more lanes = shorter drive).

Any idea where you'd be working or where family/friends are?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 PM

That's good info, thanks!

I will be working from home most of the time. I also will be travelling a little -- and that will pick up in about a year or so... so being not too far from the airport is helpful.

I have family and friends in the Southern suburbs of Pittsburgh -- but considering I am 4 hours from them now, anything is a step up. I am really looking for a pretty quiet community, good schools, and a place where I get a pretty good bang for my buck house-wise.

I hear what you are saying about Peters Twp schools. I have heard good things about it... but I have one kid graduating in a year, and another one will graduate in three -- not trying to be selfish, but if I get them an education where they can get into a good college (ie Grove City, not MIT) I am pretty happy.

Your post helps focus things somewhat. Thanks... anything else you can think of is appreciated...

Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Burgettstown sounds like it could be right for you...it's mostly quiet, fine schools, and I'm not positive about homes but Real Estate in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Harrisburg, Akron, Canton, Erie, Youngstown, West Virginia, New York - Howard Hanna Real Estate can give you a feel for some homes in the area (you can search by Burgettstown School District) and taxes.

Also, check out Canonsburg (Canon-McMillan School District). It's off of I-79, close to the South suburbs, good schools, and a little bit more going on than Burgettstown but I would assume there are quiet/more rural parts. Taxes might be a bit higher than Burgettstown due to it's proximity to Allegheny County but it's worth a check if you're interested.

Hopefully the website I gave can give you a feel for some of the homes. Burgettstown is going to be older homes and Canonsburg will have both... being infiltrated by companies such as Ryan Homes and what not. Just depends on what is right for you and your family.

I don't think that's at all selfish about the schools...it makes sense. Feel free to ask anything else you might wanna know. I wish others would give some insight, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh