Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 12:13 PM

54 posts, read 216,581 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with people in Pittsburgh? When I go to Opening Day at PNC Park and hear boos and the crowd chanting here-we-go-Steelers, I can't help but be disgusted. No wonder the Pirates are so terrible. They have a lousy fan base.

The last game I went to at PNC Park was last August on a Sunday. The place wasn't even half full. Sure, the Pirates are terrible but is it all just about winning? Their last world championship was in 1979. Not that long ago in the scheme of Baseball.

Look at the Cubs and the Red Sox. Look at the support they get from their fans. Wrigley is packed nearly every game. Perhaps if we had a little more loyalty in Pittsburgh, the team might do alot better. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 01:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Pittsburghers hate baseball even when the Pirates are doing good!

As a result, Pittsburghers aren't fair-weather fans.

You don't even have to pay to see the Pirates. Tickets are constantly given away.

That's why the stadium was half full----it would have been almost empty.

And believe me, I've been to baseball games where the stadium was almost empty---many times!

Seriously, a better question to ask is WHY DID WE PAY FOR A NEW STADIUM?!?!?!

Old 03-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Pittsburghers didn't always hate baseball, Hopes. I can remember going to Three Rivers and the ballpark (if you wanna call it that) was packed. We were winning back then though.

I don't know why the Bucs are in a new ballpark. As much as it pains me to say this, I feel the team should have left a long time ago for a city that would be more welcoming.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
[quote=sealerpal;467548]
Quote:
Pittsburghers didn't always hate baseball, Hopes. I can remember going to Three Rivers and the ballpark (if you wanna call it that) was packed. We were winning back then though.
I agree! I am old enough to remember going to Forbes Field. There was tremendous support. Again, the team was pretty good.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:29 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Pittsburghers hate baseball even when the Pirates are doing good!

As a result, Pittsburghers aren't fair-weather fans.

You don't even have to pay to see the Pirates. Tickets are constantly given away.

That's why the stadium was half full----it would have been almost empty.

And believe me, I've been to baseball games where the stadium was almost empty---many times!

Seriously, a better question to ask is WHY DID WE PAY FOR A NEW STADIUM?!?!?!
According to my mom -- you weren't given the choice. She said the stadiums were voted down, and the government did it anyway.

It was sad to watch Three Rivers come down... my father in law had worked on the stadium as a carpenter...

Old 03-17-2007, 03:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
According to my mom -- you weren't given the choice. She said the stadiums were voted down, and the government did it anyway.
That's true! It made me fuming mad too!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:27 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
Pittsburgh isn't a bad baseball town, it has a great baseball history. I think Pirates fans got tired of being played for fools by management. You can not expect even loyal fans to shell out big bucks for season tickets when you field a team of dreck like the Pirates have for the past 15 or so years. A new stadium will net you new fans for only a few years as the Pirates have learned. It is important to turn that new stadium buzz into a stronger fan base, something the team missed out on. It seems as though they might finally be coming around, though I've said that before. Signing LaRoche was unexpected but a pleasant surprise.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Simple as this: small-market teams are rarely going to be competitive unless there is a meaningful salary cap. And until small-market teams have equitable access to top-notch talent, they are going to field mediocre teams and fans are going to get tired of paying to watch their teams lose.

Not that a huge payroll has helped the Cubs much at all, or that a 90-loss season prevents stadium sellouts in September...

Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 AM

I just don't think about that stuff when I go to a ballgame, personally. I just like
baseball. Actually Drover, one of my best baseball memories happened in your city. We were visiting Chicago back in the 80's and my dad took me to the old Comisky Park to see a White Sox game. It was a great expierence. Too bad they
tore that place down.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Hardly misses the old Comiskey. Not even most die-hard Sox fans. That place was a pit, was in horrid disrepair, and had lousy sightlines. The shame is that they built a bland, boring stadium in its place -- the sporting venue equivalent of a big-box strip mall -- instead of some place like, well, PNC park.

If they tore down Wrigley Field however, there would be riots and the Cubs' considerable fanbase would immediately evaporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh