Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 PM

269 posts, read 1,054,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
PA got rid of the helmet law a few years ago. Every year in MD a bill to get rid of them is introduced and each year it gets more supporters. You get 6 packs of beer at a bar in PA.
Except that you don't pay 1/4 of the price of a case in a bar - that's the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 AM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
People that say yinz/yunz and worst of all: I seen.

Drives me nuts.
I second that. In addition, the people who say crik instead of creek. And the whiney Pittsburghese accent!!! It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:00 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
My biggest gripe about Pittsburghers (and Pennsylvanians in general) is our legendary pessimism! We have things so much better than so many other areas, and yet people still whine, whine, WHINE!!! "This place sucks", "there's nothing to do", "I can't find a job and it's the fault of the mayor (not my lack of skills/education)", "the weather sucks", "the traffic sucks", WAAHHHHHH!!!! If you're all so miserable living in PA, then by all means move to the Valhalla they call North Carolina!

Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubybelle View Post

3.) Sure hope the new garbage cans will encourage people to throw their trash INTO the cans and not on the ground.
It is just unfortunate that the city is spending $1,000 for EACH garbage can. Perhaps if the "Boy Mayor" didn't have his name printed on it, they may have been a few dollars cheaper. LOL

Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Good post. With this city's location, not only stationed between New York and Chicago, but with it's natural setting with all of this riverfront property, this city should have exploded in the Downtown area several years ago. Look at all of the empty parcels at Station Square, In the Strip. The North Shore is beginning to develop, but why so late? Vacant riverfront property adjacent to a major Downtown should have been developed a long time ago. Politics, Nimby's, and plain old lack of vision have kept Pittsburgh from being looked at in the upper echelon of cities. Pittsburgh seems to be getting a bit more progressive with some young blood on City Council. Let's hope that more young people move into Pittsburgh proper and vote so we can be Seattle east. Those are my pet peeves about Pittsburgh. This city has pretty much everything else, except great weather, of course.
Nooo, we don't want it to be Seattle East. Portland East, maybe. Wait, there's already a Portland East.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:39 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
1. The drivers!! I don't care how polite you are as a driver, if you aren't going the speed limit at the least you are my enemy on the road!
2. The ignorance among some middle aged and older people.
3. Crick. I HATE THAT WORD WITH A PASSION! It's worse than yinz could ever be to be.
Other than those I love Pittsburgh.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Have you ever been to Philly? As bad as the trash situation is in Pittsburgh ,it's hospital antiseptic compared to Philadelphia. Trust me,I lived there in the city for almost 14 years from '80 til '94.
Perhaps true, but that doesn't mean it's OK for Pittsburgh to be trash-littered.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Nooo, we don't want it to be Seattle East. Portland East, maybe. Wait, there's already a Portland East.
Completely setting aside that place in frozen New England for a moment...

...during late 2007 and early 2008, my wife and I criss-crossed the country checking out all the various cities she might want to do her medical residency in. One of my favorite cities in the nation is Portland, OR (for tons of reasons). We had NEVER been to Pittsburgh or even the greater Pittsburgh area before in our lives.

When we got here for the first time, looked around, checked out the neighborhoods, and experienced the Strip, the South Side, and just a small sampling of the amazing restaurants and pubs and movie theaters, this was how I described Pittsburgh to my friends back home who had never actually been here:

"Oh my god you guys, it's like Portland on the east coast!"

Thus your comment above made me giggle immensely. We moved here last summer, and we're still totally loving it here.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 PM

212 posts, read 640,986 times
For all yinz guys that don't like the unique vocal qualities of the Pittsburgher; Tough Luck! I won't redd up my language just because some people can't appreciate it! You can all go up a crick without a paddle! How boring would it be if everyone spoke like an electronic dictionary. Here in SoCal, I get a kick out of seeing how people react to Pittsburghese!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
and yet people still whine, whine, WHINE!!!
You mean whine like you do in your blog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh