Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,310 times

Advertisements

Our family will be relocating soon to the Pittsburgh area for my job. I grew up in Whitehall and graduated from Pitt but left after college in 1985, so I don't know the area like I used to.

Does anybody know both cities well enough to say what areas are similar today? (For example, to compare Shaker Heights to Squirrel Hill or Mount Lebanon)

We'd really like to find someplace north of downtown (my office will be in Cranberry) that's similar to what we have and enjoy here. Our home is in Russell Township, just outside of Chagrin Falls.

Also, are there any grocery stores to compare with Heinen's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
You won't find an area that's as diverse as Shaker Heights here. From a housing standpoint, Squirrel Hill and Mt. Lebanon have their houses too close together and have a more urban feel than Shaker Heights. Since there aren't exact comparables, it would be better if you shared with us what you like about Shaker Heights. We might be able to find a neighborhood closer to Cranberry as long as the old houses aren't the main draw for you.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You won't find an area that's as diverse as Shaker Heights here. From a housing standpoint, Squirrel Hill and Mt. Lebanon have their houses too close together and have a more urban feel than Shaker Heights. Since there aren't exact comparables, it would be better if you shared with us what you like about Shaker Heights. We might be able to find a neighborhood closer to Cranberry as long as the old houses aren't the main draw for you.
Okay. It's not really Shaker Heights we want. We'd rather find someplace that feels kind of like Chagrin Falls and vicinity. Some things that matter to us are:
- really good schools (but not too large - our high school graduated just a bit over 200 students this year)
- parks and open spaces near by
- choice of stables for horseback riding lessons (for our older daughter)
- shopping and restaurants within a couple of miles
- quiet and safe neighborhood with some variety in houses

Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by striegel View Post
Okay. It's not really Shaker Heights we want. We'd rather find someplace that feels kind of like Chagrin Falls and vicinity. Some things that matter to us are:
- really good schools (but not too large - our high school graduated just a bit over 200 students this year)
- parks and open spaces near by
- choice of stables for horseback riding lessons (for our older daughter)
- shopping and restaurants within a couple of miles
- quiet and safe neighborhood with some variety in houses
What part of Chagrin Falls are you coming from? The Chagrin schools (Cuyahoga Co.) or Kenston (Geauga Co.)?

Ohh, nevermind, I just saw the rest of your post. Russell Township... so are you West Geauga?

I think a lot of areas in the North Hills (Northern Allegheny Co./Southern Butler Co. around Cranberry/Mars/Seven Fields) would fit what you're looking for. If I remember Chagrin Falls correctly, it's pretty much middle to upper class, right? Nice homes, some older, some newer. Spaced out, not too dense?

As for schools...
North Allegheny is a great school district (one of the best in PA) to look for homes in but it's going to be larger than what you're used to, I think. There are tons of threads on this forum about it if you want to do a Search. Other schools I'd look into that would most likely meet your amenities listed above... Seneca Valley, Hampton, Fox Chapel, North Hills, Pine-Richland, Shaler

You can find a nice amount of shopping and dining if you reside close to the McKnight Road area. Or if you live close to Rt 19 in Cranberry and mostly all of these have a variety of older and newer homes. Some nicer than others, some newer than others, and some more cookie cutter than others.

Last edited by lifepgh2op; 09-18-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Hampton meets ALL of your criteria with the exception of a lots of restaurants nearby, depending on what you consider nearby.

The school district is small compared to other districts in Allegheny County. Graduating classes are under 300. The high school ranks 4th in the county. As matter of fact, it's the top ranking school district in the North Hills.

There's lots of open space---wooded areas, farms, and large park called Hartwood Acres where there are live concerts, polo matches, and all sorts of events. There's a great hill for sled riding in the winter on the Middle Road side. Hampton is just 10 minutes away from another large park called North Park where you can rent paddle boats, feed the ducks, fish, etc.

Hampton is home to the most riding stables in the North Hills.

Shopping (non-grocery) is 15 minutes away at Waterworks and McKnight Road.

There are closer grocery stores of multiple choices. There are even a couple of working farms in Hampton where you can buy fresh produce.

Restaurants are scattered around nearby, but you'll be traveling approximately 15 minutes to go somewhere special. Then again, there are a few special places fairly close too.

Hampton is definitely quite and safe with a variety of houses. There's housing in Hampton for almost every price range.

The other area to consider would be O'Hara Township. It's next to the area of Hampton that has the riding stables. Fox Chapel's high school ranks 6th with graduating classes over 400 students. (Clarification: O'Hara Township is in Fox Chapel School District.) The same descriptions I offered about Hampton apply to O'Hara Township.

I personally like Hampton better. It's my favorite district in the North Hills.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:38 PM

294 posts, read 659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
What part of Chagrin Falls are you coming from? The Chagrin schools (Cuyahoga Co.) or Kenston (Geauga Co.)?

Ohh, nevermind, I just saw the rest of your post. Russell Township... so are you West Geauga?

I think a lot of areas in the North Hills (Northern Allegheny Co./Southern Butler Co. around Cranberry/Mars/Seven Fields) would fit what you're looking for. If I remember Chagrin Falls correctly, it's pretty much middle to upper class, right? Nice homes, some older, some newer. Spaced out, not too dense?

As for schools...
North Allegheny is a great school district (one of the best in PA) to look for homes in but it's going to be larger than what you're used to, I think. There are tons of threads on this forum about it if you want to do a Search. Other schools I'd look into that would most likely meet your amenities listed above... Seneca Valley, Hampton, Fox Chapel, North Hills, Pine-Richland, Shaler

You can find a nice amount of shopping and dining if you reside close to the McKnight Road area. Or if you live close to Rt 19 in Cranberry and mostly all of these have a variety of older and newer homes. Some nicer than others, some newer than others, and some more cookie cutter than others.

Umm, you forgot to mention the Sewickley Area... which going by the OP's list would fit better than all of the places that you mentioned.

-QV graduates around 170 per class and is one of the top districts in the state, which would fit their school requirements.
-Shopping and restaurants are right in town.
-Quiet, safe, and a great variety of architecture.
-Several nice parks.
-Horseback would be in the heights.
-A sense of community that is lacking in many other suburbs.
-You can't beat the convenient commute to cranberry, either.

Last edited by SewickleyPA; 09-18-2009 at 02:48 PM..

Old 09-18-2009, 02:49 PM

I consider Sewickley more West than North but it's definitely an easy commute to Cranberry. Sewickley (for the OP is in Quaker Valley School District) is a very nice area with a smaller school than even Hampton with a graduating class of approximately 150. It ranks 5th in the county.

The only reason I didn't mention Sewickly is because I personally don't think it's convenient to shopping and most of Sewickley's riding stables are private.

Hampton definitely has the most stables. O'Hara right is next to Hampton so there's still a selection of stables if you live in O'Hara. That's why O'Hara is my second suggestion. Sewickley isn't convenient for driving to the other stables in the North Hills. (FYI North Allegheny doesn't have very many stables at all.)

Old 09-18-2009, 02:50 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
Umm, you forgot to mention the Sewickley Area... which going by the OP's list would fit better than all of the places that you mentioned.

-QV graduates around 170 per class and is one of the top districts in the state, which would fit their school requirements.
-Shopping and restaurants are right in town.
-Quiet, safe, and a great variety of architecture.
-Several nice parks.
-Horseback would be in the heights.
-A sense of community that is lacking in many other suburbs.
-You can't beat the convenient commute to cranberry, either.
I had just thought of Sewickley when I left the computer. It does match up pretty well with Chagrin Falls...as some of Chagrin has that quaint small town feel while outside of Chagrin is the rural/nice homes spread apart feel.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I consider Sewickley more West than North but it's definitely an easy commute to Cranberry. Sewickley (for the OP is in Quaker Valley School District) is a very nice area with a smaller school than even Hampton with a graduating class of approximately 150. It ranks 5th in the county.

The only reason I didn't mention Sewickly is because I personally don't think it's convenient to shopping and most of Sewickley's riding stables are private.

Hampton definitely has the most stables. O'Hara right is next to Hampton so there's still a selection of stables if you live in O'Hara. That's why O'Hara is my second suggestion. Sewickley isn't convenient for driving to the other stables in the North Hills. (FYI North Allegheny doesn't have very many stables at all.)

I can't comment on the horse stables since I do not ride, but the shopping comment is incorrect. I would know, since I currently live there. There is a lot of shopping and restaurants in town, and it is only a 7 min. drive to moon, 15 min. to Robinson, 20 min. to the North Hills, and 23 min. to Cranberry.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:

I just looked up Shaker Heights: The racial makeup of the city was 59.94% White, 34.11% African American, 0.06% Native American, 3.16% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 2.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.15% of the population.

Only having a mix of black and white usually really considered "diverse" outside of the rust belt. It looks like a lot like the "diversity" that you would see throughout the city of Pittsburgh, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh