Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness the City did not drop any more money into a dying business model.

And that is some valuable land with a rather lame and short building sitting on it. PNC Five anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM

By the way, Paris is investing in one-way, electrified carsharing:

Car Sharing 2.0 Leaps Forward in Paris « The Transport Politic

I've noted before that if you could combine Zipcar with Google's automated cars, you would get a service that could completely transform transportation and parking needs as we know them, which could in turn could provide a HUGE boost to places like Downtown Pittsburgh. I don't know if Paris can actually make this work, but if they can, it would be a significant intermediate step in that direction.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:19 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Meat and Potatoes, Downtown, is now serving brunch from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Indulgent dishes include fried chicken with cheddar-jalapeno waffles, sourdough french toast with bananas, and smoked salmon and cream cheese flat bread. Don't miss all you can drink Bloody Marys at the bar, $15; meatandpotatoespgh.com, 412-325-7007
Read more: Little Bites: 10/06/11
Quote:
Upon entering, Munch was immediately hit with warmth and bakery smells. From the case, Munch selected a salt-specked pretzel dog ($2.99) with a sweet and hot mustard dip (79 cents) and a cinnamon sugar pretzel ($2.79) with a sweet glaze dip (79 cents). The combination of the slightly sweet pretzel wrapped around the savory hot dog was awesomely satisfying and the slightly spicy sweet mustard proved a perfect companion. The cinnamon sugar pretzel was the lovely finisher.

BHFOM, with his thick-framed glasses and his nonchalant Converse sneakers, also noted the slight sweetness of the dough in his original pretzel ($2.69) and said it was one of the best pretzels he'd ever had. NDFOM liked her pumpkin pretzel ($2.79), that day's specialty, but said it could use a little more pumpkin flavor. Munch agreed, but it was nonetheless delicious.
Go Pretzel is at 807 Liberty Ave., Downtown
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11279...#ixzz1a0XFcrPm

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Nice to see another mid-day weekend option.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 PM

yet to announce intent, sure, but these moves broadcast that they are not interested in keeping its current use
Quote:
The SEA joins the Allegheny Conference on Community Development, tourism agency VisitPittsburgh, and the Regional Industrial Development Corp. in moving out of the building, which was the subject of a sheriff's sale last spring.

Lender First Commonwealth acquired the building for $1,706 at sheriff sale. It was recently sold to Philadelphia developer PMC Property Group, which has yet to announce its plans for the 30-story skyscraper.

Read more: Sports Authority moving offices to convention center

Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
McKnight Realty Partners is close to completing a deal to take over the 101-year-old Oliver Building.

One option the Downtown real estate investment firm is considering is turning the top half of the building, floors 14 to 25, into a hotel. The floors had been occupied by the Gates law firm.

San Francisco-based Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, an upscale boutique hotel and restaurant chain, reportedly is close to a deal to convert the Reed Building into a hotel.
...Philadelphia developer PMC Property Group has reached a deal to buy the Regional Enterprise Tower from First Commonwealth Bank, which acquired the building at sheriff sale.

PMC has yet to close on the transaction, so the purchase price was not available. While the company has yet to release its plans for the 58-year-old aluminum office tower, talk among local real estate brokers is that it will be converted into housing, just as PMC is doing with the former Verizon Building on Stanwix Street.
Read more: Is Downtown Pittsburgh becoming a ghost town?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:03 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Grrrr. Hotel, hotel, hotel. How about some more moderately-priced rental options? $1,500/month for a 1-BR unit Downtown is expensive, and it's only so expensive because supply has not yet risen to meet the growing demand of people to live in our hip and trendy central business district.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 AM

I wouldn't hold your breath on cheap rentals Downtown--I kinda doubt the ability to market moderate-high rentals is going to run out.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Downtown is never going to be cheaper than what you're getting now....No one would bring apts online downtown if they can't make a profit and this is pretty much the market rate for Central Apartments, no one is going to build 800$ a month apartments Downtown there's just no return for that...The Burgh is cheap but its not that cheap, also remember Pittsburgh is a cheap place for BUYING, Renting is a whole nother ball game where the rental market in the Burgh is one of the tightest in the nation where demand outweighs supply it's the Manhattan effect.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:09 PM

116 posts, read 212,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
What I found most interesting in this article was:

"Mr. Popovich said one hindrance to retail and office redevelopment could be the constant bus traffic on Smithfield and the sidewalk congestion it brings."

Does anyone else buy into this? I think he may have a point. I used to catch buses at the McDonald's on Smithfield when leaving downtown, but got sick of people constantly trying to hustle me. I go to sixth ave now, where I'm bothered much less.

It seems most of the buses that use Smithfield, also use the Smithfield Bridge, so I'm unsure of a logical way to reroute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh