Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,150 times

Advertisements

my fiance our son and i will be visiting pttsburgh this sept.
we are very excited since were planning this trip to check out the city and see if its as great as weve heard and if wed like to relocate.
my question has to do with parking in the city.
we had decided to get a hotel outside the city in west mifflin (because it was almost half the price) and drive in everyday, since well be renting a car.
but how much does it cost to park in the city?
im wondering if its going to sort of defeat the purpose to stay so far out if were going to have to pay for parking several different times a day.
were planning on coming out to the city in the morning site seeing checking out neighborhoods then going back to the hotel in the afternoon for my sons nap then returning in the evening for dinner.
im wondering if we should just bite the bullet and stay closer maybe at hotel with a parking pass.
any advice would be awesome.
thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 12:46 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Parking in Pittsburgh is generally only expensive Downtown (like a minimum of $4-5 for 1 hour, and $10-15 for a day, $2-$5 in the evening). If you are mostly going to be visiting other neighborhoods, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
Neighborhood parking is pretty reasonable in city areas like Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and East Liberty. Downtown garages owned by the Parking Authority are cheap on weekends - just make sure that it's a Parking Authority garage. Private garages and lots cost more. You can also park at Station Square and take the T (light rail) into downtown and back. It's very convenient.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
If you could swing it financially, I would recommend staying at the Sheraton Station Square or one of the hotels on the North side near the Stadiums. That way you could walk the City, take the T, jump on a Clipper, do the incline, all that stupid tourist stuff.

Try the internet for some deals, if you plan this far out you might find one.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I was gonna say that West Mifflin is kind of a slog to get into the city proper, and not really close to anything interesting except Kennywood.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:04 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
How much was the hotel in West Mifflin? You are looking at at least 45 - 60 minutes if you plan on coming into the city during the morning rush, if not, you are looking at about 25 minutes.

There are a few cheaper hotels on Banksville Ave (15216) that are only 2-3 miles from the city center. You could also catch a bus from there.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:24 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
You could also stay in Greentree, just outside of the Fort Pitt tunnels on Parkway West (oh, sorry Interstate 376). The drive into town though the tunnels offers one of the most beautiful, breathtaking ways to see the city.

Parking in the city, on the other hand, is horrible at best. It's overpriced and overcrowded during business hours. Weeknights and weekends are a lot easier to deal with. However, bus service is very good and would have you in and out of the city pretty quick.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Parking on the weekends is approximately $3.00 (All Day) The First Avenue Garage is huge and will always have spaces available on the weekdays($8.00) The garage is on the riverfront and you can rent a bike(with toddler compartment) and bike over to the Southside works for lunch. You can take the T(free) from the garage (connected) and explore downtown and the North Shore. Or you can take the T in the oppisite direction and make Station Square a destination. I would have paid the extra money for a centralized hotel outside of downtown (Oakland or Shadyside) and with this choice the city is yours. Pittsburgh attractions are not limited to Downtown. There are 88 other neighborhoods to explore and West Mifflin and Rt. 51 is not one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The West mifflin choice will be a nitemare in my opinion. No shopping, No people, No entertainment!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:49 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
The First Avenue Garage is huge and will always have spaces available on the weekdays($8.00)
The price has gone up I think it is 8.75. Also, it sometime does get filled up sometimes.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 AM

33 posts, read 80,803 times
i realize this is an old thread but good lord tourists staying way out in west mifflin? id fire my travel agent lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh