Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Kind of Town Is Pittsburgh
Northeast 78 40.21%
Mid-Atlantic 40 20.62%
Mid-West 39 20.10%
Neither 28 14.43%
Don't Know 9 4.64%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:28 AM

429 posts, read 1,864,306 times

Advertisements

Just curious were do you rank Pittsburgh as a regional town.
I see people call it mid-Atlantic but I strongly disagree.
To me, mid-Atlantic signals that awful area of Bawlmer/Washington that has little identity and is instead a hodgepoge of transplants and rednecks that neither the north or south will take.
I also consider anything above the Mason-Dixon line to be the North.

Pittsburgh has culture and it's own distinctiveness.

I really don't see it as Northeast though because it's just to far west, past the Appalachian Mountains and doesn't share much with NYC or Boston.
Pittsburgh's biggest rival is Cleveland, which is a mid-west town.

You could also claim Pittsburgh is Appalachia (since the ARC considers it) or rustbelt...but lets stick with these three basic ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
You've already said that Pittsburgh doesnt fit 100% with any of the regions you've listed....

I however think Pittsburgh has more of an Architecture and Infrastructure layout of the Northeast/East Coast Cities. But the people/attitudes/personalities of Pittsburgh are more Mid-west then East Coast....

Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,216 times
Coming from anywhere other than here, it's instantly obvious that this is the mid-west, based on culture, history, and cost of living. However since people who have grown up here seem to rail against that designation, I never mention it out loud in mixed company.

I do, however, rant and rave about the cost of living part and overtly use the terms "mid-west" and "secret eastern version of Portland, OR" when describing how much we love it here to my friends from other cities!

Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Pittsburgh is a blend of all three choices with a touch of Appalachia added to the mix.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
Having grown up in the Midwest (the Detroit area, specifically), it was immediately obvious to me that Pittsburgh was NOT Midwest. And I have spent time on the East Coast, and it isn't East Coast either. Which isn't surprising--this region has a post-colonial history that is newer than the East Coast but older than the Midwest, and it similarly had a distinct economic history, and so on.

So I am very much a believer in there being a distinct region in between the East Coast and the Great Lakes, which I like to call the Northeast Highlands. Northeast Appalachia is geographically accurate as well, but has the wrong cultural connotations, particularly as applied to Pittsburgh.

Hence, I am a firm "neither" vote, since none of those terms quite captures the concept.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,022 times
It's Pittsburgh, and none of the choices specified are worthy of being included with us.

So there.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,361 times
Dixie Land!

Old 09-23-2009, 06:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Maybe it's just me. When I think of the Midwest, I don't think of the Rust Belt with heavy industry, I think of the flat areas with agriculture. Pittsburgh doesn't fit into that. The fact that it doesn't trickles on down through everything in the area and makes it different from a midwestern city of that mold. Although I'm not sure what cities like that I may be thinking of. And of course, if I use those criteria, places like Cleveland and Detroit perhaps should also not be the Midwest. I don't know if that is true or not; I've only spent small amounts of time in those places.

I think it's odd to see "cost of living" as a way of defining anywhere as obviously anything. Everyone I've met that's not from here says it is not like their place, whether that be Midwest, West or Northeast. My friend from Boston calls it the South.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
I more or less fell that Western PA and NY, Michigan, N. Ohio, N. Indiana, and W Illinois is it's own region which would be called the Great Lake if it ever was allowed to be it's own region. I totally disagree with Pittsburgh being called the Mid-Atlantic considering we are above the Mason-Dixon line and we are about a 7 hour drive at the minimum from the ocean. I can see us being the Northeast though considering there are many parts of the Northeast not near the coast.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:18 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
But the people/attitudes/personalities of Pittsburgh are more Mid-west then East Coast....
I agree wholeheartedly. When my friends, from Philly, come visit me, they always say "I can't believe we're in the same state"....lmaoooooooo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh