Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That was the intent. Otherwise it could have said Pittsburgh Riot 1886. But that wouldn't be as exciting right now, would it?
I titled it so people would open the thread. It worked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
However I also agree with the other responses that its seems like you might have put this up for "shock value" with the upcoming G-20 madness predicted by so many paranoid citizens.
If that's what you think, that means you opened this thread hoping to find something shocking. Shame on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartRobots View Post
I love the history lesson...but what's the point of bringing up something from the 19th century? We're in the 21st maam. Get with it~!
I'm Irish. I'm married to an Italian. All of my sisters are married to Italians. My mother warned us about Italians. I kid you not. The last people on earth my mother would have wanted us to marry were Italians. She'd probably role over in her grave if she knew. This race riot between the Italians and Irish happened in the 19th century, but there was still that much deep resentment 100 years later. The stereotypes still exist even today. I'm surprised you can't see how history repeats itself over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Hopes posts quite a bit of the content on this forum. It's ok with me if she has a little fun once in a while.

(And, yes, it was interesting.)
Thank you. I thought it was interesting too. Otherwise, I wouldn't have posted it.

I was searching for pictures of Pittsburgh police in G-20 riot gear and this article popped up about an Irish and Italian race riot in the 19th century. I had never heard of it.

We all know that every new wave of immigrants were considered lowly and dirty---Irish, Italians, Polish, except the poor Polish had to suffer the indignation of being considered stupid too. I didn't know they ever had riots---anywhere.

But I find it most interesting that this is presented as the only riot in Pittsburgh history. Otherwise, this riot wouldn't be simply called 'The Pittsburgh Riot".

That says something about Pittsburghers. It seems they learned a thing or two from this perhaps. Maybe they didn't drop the stereotypes, but they certainly didn't continue to riot against people who were different.

(Although probably a discussion for a different thread in a different forum, I was appalled when I learned the history behind the stupid Polish stereotype. Did you know that was German propaganda? The Germans claimed that the Polish fought tanks with swords, sticks and rocks. What blows my mind is that doesn't signify stupidity to me. It signifies bravery--being willing to die for what you believe. Why on earth would culture from almost 70 years ago consider it stupidity? We have movies like Braveheart that honor that sort of bravery in high regard. But 70 years ago, the Germans got away with making up that propaganda and people viewed it as stupid, not brave. Sicker yet, American society fell into embracing the stereotype with stupid Polish jokes. I'll bet most Americans didn't even know their jokes were the result of German propaganda!)

Last edited by Hopes; 09-23-2009 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:

I do find it interesting that it's characterized as a "race riot" though. Irish and Italians are different races? There's got to be a lesson in there about our views on "race" today...
This is EXACTLY why the Pittsburgh ethnicity/diversity debate goes on in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm Irish. I'm married to an Italian. All of my sisters are married to Italians. My mother warned us about Italians. I kid you not. The last people on earth my mother would have wanted us to marry were Italians. She'd probably role over in her grave if she knew. This race riot between the Italians and Irish happened in the 19th century, but there was still that much deep resentment 100 years later. The stereotypes still exist even today. I'm surprised you can't see how history repeats itself over and over.
Again, my point above.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
You're kidding or being ironic right?
Both.

Quote:
It certainly wasn't the only riot in Pittsburgh history.
I know. I was making a point. But was this the worst riot?

Quote:
I do find it interesting that it's characterized as a "race riot" though. Irish and Italians are different races?
Back then they apparently considered ethnic groups to be races.

Quote:
There's got to be a lesson in there about our views on "race" today...
Exactly!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Damn! I was editing my post and accidently deleted it! I'll try to recreate it!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM

In the meantime, I'll post what I had copied from my other post to highlight separately (which I hadn't hit the delete button while doing it!):

Although probably a discussion for a different thread in a different forum, I was appalled when I learned the history behind the stupid Polish stereotype. Did you know that was German propaganda? The Germans claimed that the Polish fought tanks with swords, sticks and rocks. What blows my mind is that doesn't signify stupidity to me. It signifies bravery--being willing to die for what you believe. Why on earth would culture from almost 70 years ago consider it stupidity? We have movies like Braveheart that honor that sort of bravery in high regard. But 70 years ago, the Germans got away with making up that propaganda and people viewed it as stupid, not brave. Sicker yet, American society fell into embracing the stereotype with stupid Polish jokes. I'll bet most Americans didn't even know their jokes were the result of German propaganda!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Damn! I was editing my post and accidently deleted it! I'll try to recreate it!

For a second time???

Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
This is EXACTLY why the Pittsburgh ethnicity/diversity debate goes on in this forum.
See? We are diverse. We have Irish and Italians.

(Heck, by that yardstick, Hopes herself is diverse.)

Quote:
I know. I was making a point. But was this the worst riot?
I doubt it.

Here's one that a few minutes of Googling came up with: http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...6E9C946896D6CF

Old 09-23-2009, 08:15 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
The Germans claimed that the Polish fought tanks with swords, sticks and rocks.
Yes, They also threw sticks of dynamite at the Germans. The Germans lit them and threw them back...

(Sorry. My apologies to everyone for my politcal incorrectness, but it's a classic joke, and that was the perfct time to repeat it. I just couldn't help myself...)

Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 PM

If anyone has my post in the brower history, please feel free to post it. I hit the back button, but it's no longer in mine.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
(Sorry. My apologies to everyone for my politcal incorrectness, but it's a classic joke, and that was the perfct time to repeat it. I just couldn't help myself...)
See! Perfect example of Nazi brainwashing! You're so brainwashed, you don't even know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: