Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:26 PM

371 posts, read 798,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The route the OP is taking is the one that mapquest recommends. I think the side roads in the North Hills would be much quicker.
I don't see how. Brighton Township is near Midland, Beaver County. Since 60 is the fast route into Allegheny County, you'd almost want to start there or, as I said, pick up 65 in Rochester.

If you wanted to come in via the North Hills you'd be better taking the turnpike to I-79 and following I-279 into town.

I sometimes take the route through the North Hills via Mt Nebo to Lowries Run to Rochester, Babcock and through Millvale but only for fun, never for speed.

Besides, 65 from Rochester to town is a nice drive. Your only big jams are in Sewickley and at the McKees Rocks bridge and you get nice views of the river along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 01:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I was thinking more along the lines of her making her way to Route 8 via turnpike or back roads.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 PM

371 posts, read 798,831 times
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of her making her way to Route 8 via turnpike or back roads.
To make the turnpike practical, she'd have to go North to pick it up just past Chippewa. That would mean a fare. She could go to I-79 for no additional expense, but would have to get a ticket (or EasyPass) for Route 8. Even if this were practical, Route 8 is not particularly fast in rush hour. Although four lanes, there are few left hand turning lanes and the lanes are narrow and the curves can be tight (although they eliminated part of the Mae West Bend at Etna). Plus, there are many lights.

When I lived in Hampton it made sense, but I would never drive to Route 8 just to take it into town. Also, it can be quite treacherous in freezing conditions.

Working at UPMC (Oakland and Shadyside) and living in the Northwest, near Sewickley, I have found 65 to be the fastest way into both of those neighborhoods. If I lived closer to I-279 North, it would probably be that I would choose but I wouldn't drive to I-279 simply to get into Oakland faster once I was on it, especially if I could spend the time on 65 getting closer to my destination.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
I'm not knocking her. I'm asking a question.

She's new to Pittsburgh so that means she chose Beaver very recently for a reason.

I'd like to know the reason. It's up to her to answer the question or not.

I guess you know more about her situation from other posts, I hadn't realized she just moved.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Well, since I frequently make the drive from Beaver County into town, here's my 2 cents.

Some days I get on 60 (Now, or soon to be, 376. They have the signs on the poles up this way, but they haven't uncovered them yet), at Aliquippa, and follow it all the way downtown and beyond. Other days, my trip begins in Rochester, and I take 65 to town and catch 376 there.

I'd guess from Brighton Twp, those two alternatives would be just about the same. It just depends on whether you want to go real fast for an hour, and sit, crawling, in bumper to bumper traffic for 1/2 hour, or go medium fast for 45 minutes, and medium slow for the other 45 minutes.

On a Saturday morning, I can be to the Ft Pitt Tunnel in 35 minutes. Some weekday mornings, it takes that long to get from Carnegie to the tunnel. It would be faster if you hit Greentree Hill before 6 a.m., but that's probably not a very desireable alternative either.

How about 60 to Business 60, down University Blvd to 51, across the Sewickly Bridge, and 65 from there? I somtimes do that, if I happen to catch a traffic report (in time), that says Greentree Hill is particularly nasty.

I can't see any other route being any faster, and they'd definitely be a longer distance.

You have my sympathy...

Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLeaphorn View Post
I would avoid 28 at all costs.
28 is closed at the Highland Park Bridge when you are traveling north anyway. You have to cross that other bridge (can't remember the name) and follow Butler Street and cross the Highland Park Bridge back to 28.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
I'm not knocking her. I'm asking a question.
I think that was directed towards me, dear

Good economy or not, I still don't understand someone living that far away.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
28 is closed at the Highland Park Bridge when you are traveling north anyway. You have to cross that other bridge (can't remember the name) and follow Butler Street and cross the Highland Park Bridge back to 28.
That's not true. It's not closed at the Highland Park Bridge. It's closed at the 62nd Street Bridge. You either go through Sharpsburg or across the 62nd Street Bridge and loop back across the Highland Park Bridge. But it's faster to go through Etna and access Route 28 North from Route 8.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Good economy or not, I still don't understand someone living that far away.
Who knows. Her husband could work near Beaver.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
No matter what route you take, you're screwed. just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh