Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:52 AM

38 posts, read 188,404 times

Advertisements

Hi -

In my readings of previous posts, I don't think I ever saw the allergy/sinus issue addressed. Forgive me if I overlooked it.

What's Pittsburgh like for those of us who suffer with sinus infections? I'm on my 4th infection in about 6 months here in Charleston! I know pollen has been high everywhere this year but when I was in Pittsburgh in April, I didn't see that nasty yellow covering over all the cars and buildings like I do in SC.

My husband (who's from Pittsburgh) never had a sinus problem until he moved down here. I'd appreciate any and all opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
hi outofsc! I doubt the allergy situation in Pittsburgh is as bad as North Carolina where it is reknown. Our insects aren't as large either

what do you take for your allergies/sinus infections? I'm a pharmacist-to-be

Old 05-16-2007, 08:54 AM

Thanks for responding! I usually self medicate with Sudafed Sinus (the good stuff) but almost always need an antibiotic if the infection spreads into my frontal and ethmoid sinuses. Any suggestions? I can not - repeat - can not stick anything up my nose - so sprays are out of the question. I have a phobia about that - call me crazy but it really freaks me out. Probably because of a bad experience wit Afrin when I was 10.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 AM

I personally don't care for sudafed, it makes my heart race and gives me insomnia. To dry up your sinuses, though, it should work fine, but it does nothing for your allergies. I hope you aren't taking it with high blood pressure or diabetes, either... Do you take a loratadine every day?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:42 AM

No - not even sure what that is.... I always had sinus issues in the winter but this spring they hit hard so that's the first time we thought about allergies. No high blood pressure at all. In fact my blood pressure is borderline too low - usually something like 102 over 60. I'm not diabetic either. Just miserable with swollen sinuses. It used to always turn into strep throat but luckily that trend has stopped.

Any OTC recommendations? I don't like taking daily medicine but will if I have to. Anything to help the membranes feel less clogged and swollen?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
If you go to an allergist, you'll learn that different regions in the country have different allergy zones. People who receive allergy shots need a whole new set of shots if they move to a new allergy region. At the same time, some people's allergies get better when they move to a new allergy region. Whatever your allergen, you'll probably find that the season for it is shorter here than in South Carolina. Your trees, grasses and weeds have a longer season than Pittsburgh because we're farther north.

The most important thing you can do to avoid sinus infections is to manage your allergies. Taking allegra and singulair every single day helps prevent infections. During bad periods you should use the nasel spray.

It doesn't sound like you're managing your allergies. I recommend seeing an allergist (an ENT is generally best for this) and getting a management plan in place. Make sure you follow it. Don't just take your medication when you have symptoms or you'll end up with a sinus infection.

Having allergy tests done will help you know which allergens are your 'seasons.' You need to start taking your medicine prior to your season. But if you're allergic to mold or dust, your season is year round and you'll need medicine all year.

I have a website that sends me emails every day with the day's pollon and mold counts. The emails are beneficial in helping me know when my son's medication needs changed, etc.

btw, without insurance, it costs $500 for allergy tests and about $85 per month for allergy shots. I have no idea why people avoid getting testing and shots. It's affordable even without insurance! My son has been receiving allergy shots for about three months and he's benefited greatly from them. We have insurance---but I would have definitely paid that money if I didn't have insurance or if my insurance didn't cover it.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Any OTC recommendations? I don't like taking daily medicine but will if I have to. Anything to help the membranes feel less clogged and swollen?
Yes absolutely. To be honest, to alleviate allergies, nothing is better than plain old benadryl (diphenhydramine). It will cause severe drowsiness, though, but might be a good option to take it at night before bed if you have PM allergies that keep you up at night.

Loratadine is Claritin, it's OTC and can be taken everyday. It should help you a TON with both your allergies and your sinuses. You can take it with sudafed as well if you need, in fact, they are in a combination product called Claritin-D (loratadine-D). You can get Claritin as a 12 hour or 24 hour tablet. If you want relief all day, get the 24 hour but do NOT mix it with Benadryl.

Another option is to get Claritin 12 hour and take it as soon as you get up, then before bed take a benadryl to help you sleep. That is a great option for some people and should keep your allergies at bay which would result in less sinus problems.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:59 AM

I wanted to add something else. If you don't like taking pills, you can buy claritin (loratadine) in a readi-tab that will dissolve under your tongue. Also, Alavert is another brand name product that uses a sublingual formula (dissolves under your tongue.)

The only thing I ask is that you pay attention to the strength in mg of the sublinguals because i'm not positive. If they are 240mg, then that is 24 hour, is it is 120mg, that is 12 hour. Don't forget, do not mix benadryl with a 24 hour formula of loratadine.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:59 AM

487 posts, read 1,379,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Loratadine is Claritin, it's OTC and can be taken everyday. It should help you a TON with both your allergies and your sinuses.
Loratadine is also available in less-expensive private label brands (such as Sam's Club's brand, whose name I can't recall), and I've found it extremely effective for tree and grass pollen in the spring, as well as ragweed in the fall.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll run get some Claritin and benadryl to help me through until either this season passes or we move to Pittsburgh. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get to move soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh