Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM

78 posts, read 140,814 times

Advertisements

So while I can't afford to open up a restaurant, where is the best place to set up my cart? (And where will you all come?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 04:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,397 times
This a good start with a cart...also Public relations is important to build up a vibe of your biz and get investors to consider your business plans to expand

Old 12-18-2009, 04:58 PM

226 posts, read 588,674 times
I don't think a lot of neighborhoods would be cart-friendly (other than the Strip, but that market is saturated, I think). Perhaps carts on the campuses of CMU and Pitt would be a logical place to start. CMU already has carts that do Indian and Chinese food (or at least they did). Oakland is just a natural place to find a more experimental crowd.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Southside, Mexican war Streets, Shadyside are all good options also near PNC or Mellon.... and any business district. where people are on the go and want something fun and quick.

Soutside Success story from cart to Restaurant... Cambodican Cookery is now Cambodican Kitchen

they started with a afterhours carson street night life crowd and the lines grew soooooo long that they new it was time to open a restaurant

Old 12-18-2009, 05:11 PM

NewHope....take any negative responses and find the positive within them....belive it or not negative responses are good you turn them into something masterful.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post
So while I can't afford to open up a restaurant, where is the best place to set up my cart?
I'd need to know more about this food before I can answer. As a matter of fact, we all should have a taste first!

Seriously, there are many places that would be good for a cart. There are carts downtown during lunch time, and I think the food is crappy. If you had a cart with good food, people would take the subway. Seriously, my sister takes the subway to a specific cart that has good ice cream in the summer. Oakland would be a good bet too. There's a large population of students and workers in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post
(And where will you all come?)
I work downtown so I can only come if you have it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
I don't think a lot of neighborhoods would be cart-friendly (other than the Strip, but that market is saturated, I think).
There's a guy who has been selling snow cones in the North Side for eternity each summer. It's located where West Ohio Street goes through the park. You'd think it's in the middle of nowhere---since there's very little foot traffic there. However, people always pull over in their cars. It's really the perfect location since the traffic isn't so heavy. It's easy to stop---there's never any cars parked at the meters. Students and local workers walk through the park too.

I believe a food car is a "if you build it, they will come" type venture if the food is good. People will go out of their way for good food. The key is finding an area where cars can easily pull over so you're not only depending on foot traffic.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Southside, Mexican war Streets, Shadyside are all good options also near PNC or Mellon.... and any business district. where people are on the go and want something fun and quick.
We need better food towards the point too. Anywhere near 5th Avenue Place, Gateway Center. An excellent location would be 5th and Liberty. That would get people from all over the point area and the PNC, 5th Ave and Liberty people. The new PNC building has a little strange park near the sidewalk too. That corner would be perfect---or the one across the street on 5th near the alley that connects to Market Square. Market Square is a good option too.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I work downtown so I can only come if you have it there.
I thought I should elaborate. If you're open on the weekends, I'll come wherever you're located. Especially if you have a City-Data sidewalk party!

Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I agree that Downtown is a good bet if you are doing lunch food. Downtown is compact so almost every location is near a lot of people, but I agree something in or around Market Square would probably be ideal.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree that Downtown is a good bet if you are doing lunch food. Downtown is compact so almost every location is near a lot of people, but I agree something in or around Market Square would probably be ideal.
Exactly! The corner of Liberty Ave and 5th Ave is a block away from the subway station too. If word gets out there is good mexican in town, people will hop the subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: