Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:56 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
" . . . the Pittsburgh Phantoms of the American Basketball Association, began play in December 2009 and hold their games at the Carnegie Library of Homestead."

Sports in Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We've had teams that did well and didn't last very long. Unless the Harlem Globetrotters are playing, I think it's a very boring sport. I would not vote in favor of an NBA team here, or anywhere.

I wish the Pirates would get on board or get out of town. What if we got a NBA team that was owned and run by these nuts?
Don't you mean Nuttings? Anyway, don't worry. After Mario buys them and saves yet another Pittsburgh team, things will turn around. Hopefully they'll name the airport after Him, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 05:43 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Don't you mean Nuttings? Anyway, don't worry. After Mario buys them and saves yet another Pittsburgh team, things will turn around. Hopefully they'll name the airport after Him, too.
I don't know why Mario would want to buy such a bad team? Not only that, wouldn't it make more sense for someone in the baseball industry to buy the team?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Wow I just don't get the basketball hate up there...basketball is boring?? Never heard that one...now I've heard a lot of people say baseball is boring, and a lot of people will say a hockey game was boring unless there was a lot of fights

Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I don't know why Mario would want to buy such a bad team? Not only that, wouldn't it make more sense for someone in the baseball industry to buy the team?
How could anything make less sense than the situation they're in now? And maybe he thinks he can improve the situation. It's not like they've always been a bad team.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:26 AM

362 posts, read 919,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Wow I just don't get the basketball hate up there...basketball is boring?? Never heard that one...now I've heard a lot of people say baseball is boring, and a lot of people will say a hockey game was boring unless there was a lot of fights
Hate is a strong word. I don't hate the NBA or the game of b-ball, in fact if I had to choose one sport it would be b-ball. I don't like the PRO game, period. It's today's pro's that I have issue with, NOT the game. Give me college b-ball any day.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Totally agree. American pro sports = just another entertainment industry, except the NHL, for now. If Gary "NBA" Bettman has his way, it won't last much longer. Jesus, I love hockey. I also love the fact that Pittsburgh has no NBA team.
AGREE - about Pittsburgh WITHOUT the NBA!

I also agree about the entertainment industry and professional sports. Seems like the NBA symbolizes that relationship more than any other sport by a large margin.

I love the fact Pittsburgh is so indifferent to it.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
The NBA of today is a joke.
I miss the tight little short shorts.....

Old 02-07-2010, 01:40 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I'll take a wild guess that I am the only poster that watched the Pittsburgh Pipers win the first ABA championship back in '68. So how did the league reward the city, moved the team to Minneapolis. Brought them back 2 years later as the worst team in the league. Still, I saw some great players, Rick Barry, Artis Gilmore, Dr J., and the immortal Skeeter Swift.

Like others, I haven't watched an NBA game on TV in years, last one in person was about 15 years ago in Cleveland. The current game played does not interest me, it's an old line, but as soon as anyone throws a pass, he's out of the offense.

I attended a lot of the Prihrana games when the CBA was here in the 90's. That wasn't a bad league, one of our guys spent a month with the Celtics, and Jo Jo White was called up and played on a NBA championship team. One thing about minor league teams, everyone hustles cuz they want to go to the bigs. You rarely see showboating or hot-dogging.

I don't think we'll ever see an NBA team here.

One more thing: If you want to read the best and funniest book about the ABA, pick up Loose Balls, by Jon Pluto.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:25 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'll take a wild guess that I am the only poster that watched the Pittsburgh Pipers win the first ABA championship back in '68. So how did the league reward the city, moved the team to Minneapolis. Brought them back 2 years later as the worst team in the league. Still, I saw some great players, Rick Barry, Artis Gilmore, Dr J., and the immortal Skeeter Swift.

Like others, I haven't watched an NBA game on TV in years, last one in person was about 15 years ago in Cleveland. The current game played does not interest me, it's an old line, but as soon as anyone throws a pass, he's out of the offense.

I attended a lot of the Prihrana games when the CBA was here in the 90's. That wasn't a bad league, one of our guys spent a month with the Celtics, and Jo Jo White was called up and played on a NBA championship team. One thing about minor league teams, everyone hustles cuz they want to go to the bigs. You rarely see showboating or hot-dogging.

I don't think we'll ever see an NBA team here.

One more thing: If you want to read the best and funniest book about the ABA, pick up Loose Balls, by Jon Pluto.
I didn't see the championship game but I did go to a lot of the Piper games... and I really enjoyed them. The ABA was pretty exciting. I liked the Kentucky Colonels, Carolina Cougars and Pacers at the time. It was a shame when they moved. Never forgave Rubin for doing that. But, the Pipers were a good team and had decent support for an ABA team... so when they did move, I was surprised.

I even went to Condor games after that. Talk about sad, and yet looking back, funny.

Remember the Rens? That was a previous attempt to bring pro Basketball to the city.

And, I agree, I don't think Pittsburgh will see an NBA team. Too much competition for the professional sports entertainment dollar in a small market as it is and apparent luke warm interest.

Not rooting against it, just don't think it will happen.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:32 PM

323 posts, read 835,309 times
No to the NBA. I don't want my tax dollars going towards supporting yet ANOTHER sports complex. Let other cities fund it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh