Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 AM

104 posts, read 353,604 times

Advertisements

Hi--

My family is relocating from MA to Pittsburgh this summer. Where we live now in MA is within walking distance of a lake, with fishing, swimming, boating, etc. We're pretty spoiled. We have 2 acre lot and lots of privacy.

I'm wondering if there are areas like that near Pittsburgh. My kids will be going to school in Shadyside and my husband will be working in Southside.

Any brilliant ideas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Why have you already decided that your children are going to go to school in Shadyside? The reason I ask is because there are some areas with lakes, but not within the 10 miles required for obtaining school bus transportation into Shadyside.

If your husband doesn't mind a commute---and you dont' mind picking a different school for your children---consider buying near Moraine State Park. Pennsylvania State Parks - Moraine - PA DCNR The commute for your husband will be about an hour during rush hour. You won't be able to get school transportation for your children into Shadyside though. You have to live within 10 miles of a private school for the public school district to provide transportation.

The other option is picking a home near North Park. Allegheny County North Park in Pittsburgh, PA - AOL City Guide (http://search.cityguide.aol.com/pittsburgh/entertainment/allegheny-county-north-park/v-107665115 - broken link) North Park - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review There are some beautiful neighborhoods within walking distance to North Park. There is a lake with fishing--and paddle boat rentals. There's a county public pool (can't swim in the lake) and all sorts of different activities. The school districts surrounding the immediate area of North Park are good too. And if you still send your children into Shadyside, it's close enough to get the transportation for free from the school district where you live.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Hi--

Our kids are definitely going to Kentucky Avenue School in Shadyside. That is one of the main reasons we're moving to Pittsburgh. So that is one of the few things that's already settled.

That, and my husband's job in Southside.

I haven't heard anything about bus transport to a private school before. How does this work? Do you know where I can find out more about this?

That would make a huge difference!

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:11 PM

Any public school district in Pennsylvania must provide transportation to children enrolled in private schools if the school district provides transportation for the public school students (all schools in the greater Pittsburgh area do) and if the private school is located within 10 miles of the public school district where the child's household is located. It's the law.

All you need to do is be mindful of where you buy your house by keeping the proximity of your private school in mind. You contact the public school district of where your house is located to arrange for bus transportation to your children's school.

The reason this law exists is because you pay school taxes even though your children go to a private school. Furthermore, your children have a right to participate in the public school sports and activities at the school district where you live too.

Here's a quote about the law:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ed.gov/pubs/RegPrivSchl/pennsylv.html
Transportation: Local school boards that provide transportation for public school students to school must provide identical transportation services for nonpublic school students enrolled in nonprofit schools within the district boundaries or outside the district boundaries at a distance not exceeding ten miles by the nearest public highway. Transportation must be provided when the nonpublic school is in session as determined by the directors of the nonpublic school. Local school districts transporting nonpublic students receive per capita subsidy from the Commonwealth. 24 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 13-1361; 21-2114; 25-2509.3.
I don't have time to find the actual law for you at the moment, but school districts around here won't try to avoid providing this service. I assure you that transportation will be provided if your house is in a township that is within the proper distance from private school.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't have time to find the actual law for you at the moment...
Luckily, I have access to Lexis and WestLaw

Quote:
§ 13-1361. When provided

(1) The board of school directors in any school district may, out of the funds of the district, provide for the free transportation of any resident pupil to and from the kindergarten, elementary school, or secondary school in which he is lawfully enrolled, provided that such school is not operated for profit and is located within the district boundaries or outside the district boundaries at a distance not exceeding ten miles by the nearest public highway, except that such ten-mile limit shall not apply to area vocational technical schools which regularly serve eligible district pupils or to special schools and classes approved by the Department of Education, and to and from any points within or without the Commonwealth in order to provide field trips for any purpose connected with the educational pursuits of the pupils. When provision is made by a board of school directors for the transportation of public school pupils to and from such schools or to and from any points within or without the Commonwealth in order to provide field trips as herein provided, the board of school directors shall also make identical provision for the free transportation of pupils who regularly attend nonpublic kindergarten, elementary and high schools not operated for profit to and from such schools or to and from any points within or without the Commonwealth in order to provide field trips as herein provided. Such transportation of pupils attending nonpublic schools shall be provided during regular school hours on such dates and periods that the nonpublic school not operated for profit is in regular session, according to the school calendar officially adopted by the directors of the same in accordance with provisions of law. The board of school directors shall provide such transportation whenever so required by any of the provisions of this act or of any other act of Assembly.

(2) The board of school directors in any school district may, if the board deems it to the best interest of the school district, for the purposes of transporting pupils as required or authorized by any of the provisions of this act or of any other act of the Assembly, appropriate funds for urban common carrier mass transportation purposes from current revenues to urban common carrier mass transportation authorities to assist the authorities to meet costs of operation, maintenance, capital improvements, and debt service. Said contributions shall not be subject to reimbursement by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

(3) The State Board of Education shall adopt regulations, including qualifications of school bus drivers, to govern the transportation of school pupils.
Quote:
§ 21-2114. Prohibitions

(a) No school district of the first class may close any location for the delivery of early intervention programs or school-sponsored day-care services which were in existence on May 1, 1988.

(b) No school district of the first class may discontinue transportation services to nonpublic school students which were in effect on May 1, 1988, as long as said district continues to provide transportation services to public school students at corresponding grade levels.
Quote:
§ 25-2509.3. Payments on account of transportation of nonpublic school Pupils

Each school district, regardless of classification, shall be paid by the Commonwealth the sum of thirty-five dollars ($ 35) for each nonpublic school pupil transported in the school year 1978-1979 through the school year 1983-1984. For the school year 1984-1985 through the school year 1989-1990, each school district shall be paid the sum of seventy dollars ($ 70) for each nonpublic school pupil transported. For the school years 1990-1991 and 1991-1992, each school district shall be paid the sum of one hundred twenty-four dollars ($ 124) for each nonpublic school pupil transported. For the school year 1992-1993 and the 1993-1994 school year, each school district shall be paid the sum of one hundred fifty-nine dollars ($ 159) for each nonpublic school pupil transported. For the school year 1994-1995 through the school year 1996-1997, each school district shall be paid the sum of two hundred dollars ($ 200) for each nonpublic school pupil transported. For the school year 1997-1998 through the school year 2000-2001, each school district shall be paid the sum of two hundred eighty-five dollars ($ 285) for each nonpublic school pupil transported. For the school year 2001-2002 and each school year thereafter, each school district shall be paid the sum of three hundred eighty-five dollars ($ 385) for each nonpublic school pupil transported.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:23 AM

Thanks, Drover!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Any public school district in Pennsylvania must provide transportation to children enrolled in private schools if the school district provides transportation for the public school students (all schools in the greater Pittsburgh area do) and if the private school is located within 10 miles of the public school district where the child's household is located. It's the law.
No wonder school taxes in PA are so high!

Quote:
The reason this law exists is because you pay school taxes even though your children go to a private school.
In that case, the state should pay the tuition too.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
No wonder school taxes in PA are so high!
Tax payers have a right to the services for which they pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
In that case, the state should pay the tuition too.
Absolutely!

Except it's the school districts that should pay, not the state. And the school district shouldn't pay the entire tuition, but the school district should forward the amount it spends on each student to put towards the private school tuition. That's my opinion of course.

My school district forwards the money it spends per pupil for a portion of my son's private education.

This isn't law though. It's up to the school districts. At this time, the law only stipulates school districts pay for alternative education for students who are enrolled in charter schools (which are considered public schools). Also, if the school district can't meet the educational needs of the student, the district has to pay for the student to attend whatever school meets the student's needs.

It's important to note that people shouldn't move here expecting to receive money from their school district for a private education. It's determined on a case by case, fight by fight basis. Fortunately, I didn't have to fight because my school district is more progressive than others.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Every state does it differently, obviously. Here in CO the transportation is the parents' responsibility, even to a public charter school in the same district (except from a failing school per NCLB). Our district is experimenting with ltd transportation to some of the 'foucs' schools such as Montessori to get a more diverse student body than just the kids whose parents can drive them. I must say, though, I have seen parents move heaven and earth to get their kids to the school they think is best for them.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:13 AM

HI Hopes--

Where do you live that it's so progressive? We're still deciding where to live...

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh