Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,673 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, you would be better off to live in Johnstown and drive to Greensburg or Pittsburgh when you wanted instead of driving from Pittsburgh or Greensburgh every day to go to work and only using the city once in a while - which after working 40 hours is about all you are going to do anyways.

Johnstown has several malls and lots of places to shop and lot's of things to do, so it isn't like as if you would be marooned on the moon or something.

Just looking at mileage charts - and then trying to tell me how much time it takes to drive there is just plain bull. I drove from Marchand PA to Turtle Creek for 14 years and I can tell you how long it takes to drive on RT 22, even when there is no road construction.

It might take you a hour to go 2 miles - near Monroeville / Export on a good day in rush hour traffic.

The same is true when you have to deal with traffic on RT 30 and all the lights. If you don't give yourself at least 30 minutes of extra time every day - you might be late. It isn't like as if you can get up every morning a hour before work and just jump in the car and not expect a flat tire or a accident on the side of the road to slow things down. Or that road construction or traffic accidents will flow smoothly when they happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 AM

145 posts, read 283,694 times
From downtown Pittsburgh to "downtown" Johnstown takes roughly 1:45. I recommend 376 to 22 (Monroeville area interchange), then 422 into Johnstown. This assumes that you do not live a great distance from 376. Obviously, traveling from east of Pittsburgh will take less time.

The work that has been completed on 22 within the past couple of years has really helped with lowering travel times, especially regarding elimination of 10mph crawls uphill behind tractor trailers.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:36 PM

137 posts, read 367,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bevis View Post

Johnstown has several malls and lots of places to shop and lot's of things to do, so it isn't like as if you would be marooned on the moon or something.
Johnstown has one mall, The Galleria. I was there in November and it must have been atleast 25% vacant stores. That mall is awful and only getting worse. I would actually approximate living in Johnstown to living on the moon for several reasons, including isolation and people who's worldview is often so distorted it's almost alien.

To the OP, I used to make the trip from Johnstown to Pittsburgh and back quite often. I usually took route 22 rather than the turnpike/route 30, but either way is fine and take about the same amount of time. Without bad construction or traffic delays, it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes or so to make it to Squirrel Hill, an east end Pittsburgh neighborhood. It's about 1 hour from Johnstown to Monroeville.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,673 times
Travel times varies by the time of day.

If you did not like shopping at the Galleria Mall - you could have went to one of the other places to shop or over the mountain to Altoona.

Saying that Johnstown only has a couple of stores is bogus, Richland Township is full of businesses.

Because of all the internet traffic and Ebay, the days of developers building super malls is soon going to be a thing of the past, just like pay telephones.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
From Oakmont (far eastern suburb) to Monroeville takes about 20 minutes whether you use the back roads or turnpike, then another hour to Johnstown as everyone has said. Typical talk is that Johnstown is only an hour away so I was surprised it took so long in the middle of a Saturday afternoon with no traffic. 1 hr. 20 mins. to downtown Johnstown.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc09 View Post
Johnstown has one mall, The Galleria. I was there in November and it must have been atleast 25% vacant stores. That mall is awful and only getting worse. I would actually approximate living in Johnstown to living on the moon for several reasons, including isolation and people who's worldview is often so distorted it's almost alien.

To the OP, I used to make the trip from Johnstown to Pittsburgh and back quite often. I usually took route 22 rather than the turnpike/route 30, but either way is fine and take about the same amount of time. Without bad construction or traffic delays, it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes or so to make it to Squirrel Hill, an east end Pittsburgh neighborhood. It's about 1 hour from Johnstown to Monroeville.
There's Logan Valley Mall, which is an okay mall, although better than the Galleria, is about a half hour to the east in Altoona as well as Westmoreland Mall, which is better than the Galleria and Logan Valley, is a little farther out to the west via Route 30 in Greensburg. A lot of Johnstown residents that I know prefer going to these two malls over the Galleria.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:56 PM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
From my house in West Hempfield (near turnpike/Rte 30 interchange) to Beulah Rd on Rte. 22( Ebensburg) takes approx. 1:15 min. towing a boat. I travel there regularly to visit the inlaws. If I had a radar detector, I could do it in an hr or less easily but, the state police are thick on Rte. 22 and I keep it at 5-7 mph over the limit.

We take Rte. 30 to Toll 66 to Rte 22. From Rte. 22 to Johnstown on 219 S. is another 15 or 20 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh