Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:30 PM

360 posts, read 995,949 times

Advertisements

Wow, just heard on the news that the guy that shot 3 cops in Pittsburgh was one of those whack jobs who thinks Obama is going to take people's guns away. One of the killer's friends, Edward Perkovic, said Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon." Nice reason to go shooting people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:43 PM

43 posts, read 215,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Wow, just heard on the news that the guy that shot 3 cops in Pittsburgh was one of those whack jobs who thinks Obama is going to take people's guns away. One of the killer's friends, Edward Perkovic, said Poplawski feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon." Nice reason to go shooting people
Wow now this is headline news! It's only been on every news broadcast since this morning. While it's obvious this guy was off his rocker, the gun confication thing was only a small part of the issue. Or does it fit nicely into your agenda.
Whatever man!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 PM

20 posts, read 59,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
Obviously this quote fits a certain agenda. Guarantee they interviewed a lot of people and got a lot of quotes...yet they focus on this. The guy was a nut, and had a dishonorable discharge from the Corps - that says it all right there.

He does not represent gunowners, the vast majority of whom are law abiding. So law abiding in fact, that in most places, concealed carry holders are roughly 5-7 times less likely to be convicted of a crime than the general populace.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:07 AM

646 posts, read 2,051,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddielv View Post
Wow now this is headline news! It's only been on every news broadcast since this morning. While it's obvious this guy was off his rocker, the gun confication thing was only a small part of the issue. Or does it fit nicely into your agenda.
Whatever man!
This post was originally at the Triangle NC board.....where we have a certain right wing poster that lives for this sort of tragedy...and how certain media outlets are playing it up.

I am sorry that this level of idiocy that took part in your state...but don't blame the OP....they were just beating a certain pet poster at city-data to the punch.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,705,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddielv View Post
Whatever man!
It was on major news networks all over the world yesterday.

It was a very sad and sobering day yesterday. My father was a fireman all his life so things like this hit me especially hard, even harder considering it happened so close to our home.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM

11 posts, read 50,168 times
If radical second amendment enthusiasts were a little more responsible with their guns, then maybe people would listen to them and they can get the changes they want. But they can't use the argument of using guns for defensive purposes when they are the ones using them for offensive purposes. No wonder there is such a demand for gun control. People like this guy. It's a paradox. Why can't these people realize the reputation they're going to have before they do things like this? They should really reconsider what is threatening to them. Absolutely tragic. I know a lot of people that live in the area this happened. Now more people are going to get to guns to "protect" themselves from these situations. And that's just more disasters waiting to happen. There have been so many mass shootings in the US this year, seems like more than ever before, and I think a lot of them were attention driven, and the media provides a demand for sociopathic people to gain some quick notoriety before they go. I understand when tragedies of this scale happen, people need to know, but I wish there was some way to reduce sensationalism that creates such a high demand for acts of violence. Before we know it, mass shootings like this will be given less attention, because the public will be used to hearing about them. I feel like I'll turn on the news tomorrow, and there will be another one just like this somewhere else, and the violence standard will just keep getting topped everytime! Would you be suprised if this happenend next week? Probably a lot less than you were this time. People with serious problems aren't getting the help they need, and they will feel the need to outdo the last guy. Who can kill more people this time. Who can get a bigger story this time. They know everyone will be talking about them. This is a violence-obsessed society, and I don't have a solution for this, but the demand needs to go down for the violence to go down.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,544 times
The SWAT team was called again today. Crime is getting really bad in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:41 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
I was'nt concerned about his ability to obtain guns as to his racist views against jews and other minorities. The other thing that I do not understand is why does the NRA continue to support it's members right to have assault rifles. They are not used for hunting anything else but other people. They hide behind the assinine theory that the government will take all of your guns to scare the stupid. Which apparently is working.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Not to make this seem to be a racial matter, but if a person of color would have murdered 1 cop he would have been dead. If this clown gets anything but the death penalty heads should roll! I'm just making an observation that they (the police) managed to only shoot him in the leg as opposed to other officers who felt that their lives were in danger and killed "perps of color" (see Johnny Gamage, T. Curtis, the tunnel incident ect)

Old 04-06-2009, 06:51 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,705,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Not to make this seem to be a racial matter,
Well if you meant not to, congrats, because you did. And you also demonstrated what racism is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh