Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:09 PM

10 posts, read 22,122 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a guitar, but have no experience with the instrument. Could anyone recommend a store (preferably in the North) in the Pittsburgh area that has salespeople that are good with helping beginners?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:14 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,818,241 times
Hollowood music over in McKees Rocks. They seem very good. Also, Volkwein's near the Montour Run Road exchange off the Parkway West. They handle all of the student rentals for the local schools and they cater to professionals too. They helped my daughter a lot when she was looking for beginner music for her keyboard.

Sorry, I know you said North of the city but I only know west!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,185,276 times
What is your price range and what exactly are you looking for?

As I remember, Johnny B. Goode's is above Hollowood's Music. It is a used store that can have some pretty good deals.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM

10 posts, read 22,122 times
Thanks for your responses. I am looking at acoustic guitars (more specifically, I don't know, and I'm hoping that's where I can get some guidance from wherever I end up going), and my price range is probably no more than about $200. I don't need anything really nice, at least not yet.

I've never thought about checking out used stores, but that sounds like something I should look into - Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:53 AM

You want to spend no less than $200 in my opinion. Cheaper than that and you will get a piece of crap that is frustrating to play because of its low quality.

Look into used Yamahas. They are cheap, of decent quality and play well. Like I said, check out Johnny B. Goodes. Also check out Pianos and Stuff's used section (in the basement) out in Blawnox.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:57 AM

524 posts, read 1,037,416 times
Pianos N'Stuff; 486 Freeport Road, Blawnox, is a small family-owned store with very knowledgeable salespeople; many are musicians. They have both new and used acoustic and electric guitars.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 AM

408 posts, read 992,555 times
I hate to not support local businesses, but don't go to a music store. There are two reasons.. people that work at music stores are generally asshats. Yes, there are a few out there that aren't, but as a newbie, you don't want to mistakenly fall into the hands of the 80% crowd. Second.. each store is an authorized retailer of only a few brands. This greatly narrows your shopping options. You are always going to get pushed into the entry level model that this store is selling.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
I hate to not support local businesses, but don't go to a music store. There are two reasons.. people that work at music stores are generally asshats. Yes, there are a few out there that aren't, but as a newbie, you don't want to mistakenly fall into the hands of the 80% crowd. Second.. each store is an authorized retailer of only a few brands. This greatly narrows your shopping options. You are always going to get pushed into the entry level model that this store is selling.
The guys at Pianos and Stuff, Hollowoods and Johnny B. Goodes know what they are talking about and they aren't pushy. Also, your comment on these stores only carrying a few brands is not true; they have a decent selection of new brands and a lot of used stuff.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,686,820 times
i'll second the suggestion of pianos n' stuff.

also i've heard mixed opinions of acoustic music works in squirrel hill, but i've always had good experiences there, and he specializes in acoustic guitars (among other acoustic instruments), obviously. it's not cheap though.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:42 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,593,602 times
I only know of Guitar Center in Monroeville and Robinson, and Vittone's Music in Greensburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh