Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:00 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sure, they know where the water is on the outskirts of it. But they don't live miles away from it, in the middle of the desert. Phoenix, for example, is a completely engineered city--it isn't natural, and they bring water to them from miles away.
Wow. Just, wow. Do you just spout whatever pops in your head as fact then hope nobody catches you?

I live in Phoenix, and I camp in the surrounding desert. There are rivers and washes, they are fed from runoff via the nearby mountains and high country to the North. Many of the washes are dry but fill up after rains for long enough time to support life. Many Native American tribes lived in this area before modern infrastructure, and yes it was the middle of the Sonoran desert.

You obviously aren't quite ready to go off on your own. Stick to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Wow. Just, wow. Do you just spout whatever pops in your head as fact then hope nobody catches you?

I live in Phoenix, and I camp in the surrounding desert. There are rivers and washes, they are fed from runoff via the nearby mountains and high country to the North. Many of the washes are dry but fill up after rains for long enough time to support life. Many Native American tribes lived in this area before modern infrastructure, and yes it was the middle of the Sonoran desert.

You obviously aren't quite ready to go off on your own. Stick to the city.
No, I sure don't. I asked someone who lived in Phoenix before moving to Florida, and she told me that you pump your water in from Colorado.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
That is correct, the Colorado river is one source. Another is runoff from the surrounding mountains (like the Salt River and Verde River) and another is watersheds underground.

Point is, people have survived in the desert for thousands of years. Not just on the outskirts.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM

296 posts, read 273,550 times
I absolutely love people who spend all of zero seconds thinking about something before forming an opinion. Just freaking brilliant in this case. Hopefully the OP can't breed.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, I sure don't. I asked someone who lived in Phoenix before moving to Florida, and she told me that you pump your water in from Colorado.
The Colorada river via the CAP. Ground water is also another significant resource. As are the many surface water sources - man made lakes.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
I like some of the ideas of anarchy, in a very limited scope. I would like gov't to be much much smaller, but not disappear. There has to be a body governing the people for order. Without order you have anarchy. Every man for himself. Tribal/feudal wars. Progress would come to a halt. It would be Mad Max in reality. No thanks.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 AM

218 posts, read 239,600 times
Anarchy is more peaceful than statism.

Fact!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:04 AM

218 posts, read 239,600 times
The whole idea that we need wo/men to rule us is repulsive.

Fact!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:10 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
The whole idea that we need wo/men to rule us is repulsive.

Fact!
It may be repulsive, but it is true. Ideally, they don't 'rule' us, but we govern ourselves through a gov't put in place by us. Thus, ideally a gov't of limited scope without too much power, but not so weak and fragmented as to be worthless. The key is finding balance.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:23 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
Anarchy is more peaceful than statism.

Fact!
Go to Somalia and tell them that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies