Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times

Advertisements

The terrible flood in the campground in Arkansas is bad enough but the fact that they have no idea who or how many were there only makes things worse. It is now being reported that the campground maintained a register for all the people there but it was also destroyed by the flood.
This is not good and I think points out the need for new laws requiring that places like campgrounds, RV parks and hotels maintain an off premises backup register of all guest. It only makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,901,949 times
Yeah...all we need...MORE laws.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think points out the need for new laws
Just let a friend or family member know where you are going and everything else will work itself out. This place did not get cell phone service, how would it maintain a real-time off-site backup of the guests?

And I'm not being insensitive to the situation. A guy I know from my hometown lost his daughter in that flood.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
This was certainly very unfortunate and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who died and who are missing.

But, the last thing we need is any more laws!! Enough!

Besides, Camping is more often than not done in UNORGANIZED settings where there is NO attendant to keep any records of any kind in the first place..

Old 06-12-2010, 06:41 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
The terrible flood in the campground in Arkansas is bad enough but the fact that they have no idea who or how many were there only makes things worse. It is now being reported that the campground maintained a register for all the people there but it was also destroyed by the flood.
This is not good and I think points out the need for new laws requiring that places like campgrounds, RV parks and hotels maintain an off premises backup register of all guest. It only makes sense.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
And that Obama! He ISN'T down there with a shovel digging cars out of the mud! He isn't running in circles ringing his hands! WHERE is he? Why didn't he make sure those campers had cell phone access?
Why isn't hegiving moving speeches and hauling folks to the hospital!?? IMPEACH!

Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Just let a friend or family member know where you are going and everything else will work itself out. This place did not get cell phone service, how would it maintain a real-time off-site backup of the guests?

And I'm not being insensitive to the situation. A guy I know from my hometown lost his daughter in that flood.
It does not have to be real time. Just daily. A land line and a fax machine would do the job. Just fax it every evening to an office in Little Rock. There may be people there that others do not even know about yet. The firemen have to know who and how many they are looking for to find and account for all the dead and the living. Imagine if a big airliner crashed and the company said "oh, we don't know who or how many died because the passenger list was on the plane". That would never go over.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
I'm starting to think the "liberals" need to change their name to "dependents".
More laws ?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Yeah...all we need...MORE laws.
Sometimes laws are necessary. Sometimes people do not have the ability to use common sense and govern themselves. I would like to have less laws. It would be nice if we did not have to tell people "don't text while you drive" or "don't run red lights" but a portion of the population is just plainly stupid and has to be governed.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Sometimes laws are necessary. Sometimes people do not have the ability to use common sense and govern themselves. I would like to have less laws. It would be nice if we did not have to tell people "don't text while you drive" or "don't run red lights" but a portion of the population is just plainly stupid and has to be governed.
That's a very dangerous way of thinking KevK. And it would continue until the thought is that ALL of the population are stupid and need to be governed with a tighter control.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies