Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,849,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
You don't like me today do you? Oh well. I added I was a Christian and believed in God regarding momonkeys statement of God having the final say. So I believe in God and agree with that statement. That's all. No deep sinister meaning here. Again.
Its not about liking or not liking you. I'm discussing only the point you made and the premise of it. If you can point at others and claim they're not Christians, why can't I or someone else return the favor to you?

Quote:
Hitler manipulated a country beaten down and humiliated in WWI. They would have believed anything to help the Fatherland gain respect and power again. For all I know, Hitler could have been the Christian he claimed. He didn't adhere obviously to the the principles of Christianity but maybe in his own warped sick mind he did.
Most loud mouth Christians fit that profile, even here at C-D. I don't see eye to eye with most evangelicals on principles of Christianity. But that can't be the settling point, eh?

It is an undeniable fact that Hitler used Christianity as a platform, and also against communists, atheists, gays, and of course, Jews. He detested liberalism, and established laws around the church. One of the reasons I bring this up, is the parallel I notice in American political landscape that subscribes to much of the same system. Take this part of Hitler's speech before Enabling Act of 1933, for example:
"The national Government will allow and confirm to the Christian denominations the enjoyment of their due influence in schools and education. And it will be concerned for the sincere cooperation between Church and State. The struggle against the materialistic ideology and for the erection of a true people's community serves as much the interests of the German nation as of our Christian faith. ...The national Government, seeing in Christianity the unshakable foundation of the moral and ethical life of our people"

Sounds familiar? That, and the anti-communist sentiment that many in this country have maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 AM

38,648 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
[/b]

Now why did you have ruin a post which had good points with that last line?

Sorry but my opinion is the American people will never let it happen. I guess I have more faith in them than you do. Nothing is an absolute. But I don't see it happening here. That also doesn't mean I support communism. I lived through the Cold War. It was just so much fun!!!!

Let's face it. Communism is dying. There are only two countries that are the old die hard communists. North Korea and Cuba. China is having a tough time in this age of the internet, twitter, facebook et al keeping their over a billion people from finding out what goes on in the world. The same goes for many Middle Eastern countries. Tweets shall set you free.

I don't see this Country going down the road to communism now. Bankruptcy yes. Because we have a liberal President spending money right and left and beyond. And a stupid Congress that goes along with him.

And I can say my opinions because of the Republic I live in with it's wonderful Constitution.

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt."

-John Philpot Curran

Old 06-26-2010, 01:33 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,648,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt."

-John Philpot Curran
Distrust and caution are the parents of security.
Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 AM

30,091 posts, read 18,704,527 times
Quote:
A tribute to communism...

A Tribute to Communism Video

Despite the grim history of totalitarianism, isn't it amazing that we have a new generation of Americans who are embracing these same sentiments- sacrificing thier liberty and personal freedom in exchange for "benefits" from the state.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times
Quote:
A tribute to communism...

A Tribute to Communism Video
You could make the same video about capitalism. Nobody here has clean hands.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 AM

4,564 posts, read 4,109,999 times
really? only communism causes millions of deaths? capitalism is at the root of deaths as well.

just another pointless biased thread.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:08 AM

4,564 posts, read 4,109,999 times
For all this talk of communism/christianity/founding fathers etc. can anyone show me information about the founding fathers giving away their money to the poor. Can anyone find me some quotes of them encouraging people to do so? Last I checked, Christ said in the Bible that it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

for all those using quotes from famous smart people to prove their points, first of all you can find I quote from a famous person to support just about any point of view, next just remember this quote:

"A witty saying proves nothing"

-Voltaire

Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,785,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
That's funny. I thought it was about abortion.
That was my first thought too....

Old 06-26-2010, 08:19 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,246,826 times
Quote:
It is.

It's about the religion of man in which man is his own god.

Communists are, by definition, Atheists.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Just because some people don't believe that some idealized and omnipotent human-like entity is running things (and doing SUCH a good job!), doesn't mean they believe in a political philosophy where citizens are slaves to their government.

In case you don't remember, our Democratic Republic holds the ideal of separation of Church and State. Does that make it atheistic?

Perhaps you like the Theocracies of Radical Islam. It's the same religion, by the way.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
In Memory of Tens of Millions Dead for One Bad Idea

Sorry, I thought the thread was about religion.
Maybe you should have read the OP. You didn't, did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies