Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:46 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times

Advertisements

That's what Obama and Biden told us last year. We'd be so much worse off without it. Anybody agree with that? We've had no job creation but things have stayed the same. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
That's what Obama and Biden told us last year. We'd be so much worse off without it. Anybody agree with that? We've had no job creation but things have stayed the same. Thoughts?
Impossible to tell..

Old 06-14-2010, 06:37 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree that the stimulus saved us from experiencing a second great depression. Obviously, the unemployment rate isn't good, and the stimulus money - absolutely critical to avoiding a depression - has added to the deficit.

No, I don't agree that "we've had no job creation" - during the period of Jan-Apr of this year, 573,000 jobs were created. We certainly haven't had enough job creation, and I don't believe that looking only at job creation gives us a valid picture of employment. However, to say we've had NO job creation is totally false.

But if, in fact, we look solely at job creation:
If the economy produces jobs over the next eight months at the same pace as it did over the past four months, the nation will have created more jobs in 2010 alone than it did over the entire eight years of George W. Bush's presidency.
Repairing The Job Machine - National Journal, May 15, 2010

Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Recovery.gov - FAQs and Resources

The stimulus is about to end btw.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Yes, I agree that the stimulus saved us from experiencing a second great depression. Obviously, the unemployment rate isn't good, and the stimulus money - absolutely critical to avoiding a depression - has added to the deficit.

No, I don't agree that "we've had no job creation" - during the period of Jan-Apr of this year, 573,000 jobs were created. We certainly haven't had enough job creation, and I don't believe that looking only at job creation gives us a valid picture of employment. However, to say we've had NO job creation is totally false.

If the economy produces jobs over the next eight months at the same pace as it did over the past four months, the nation will have created more jobs in 2010 alone than it did over the entire eight years of George W. Bush's presidency.
Are you counting Government jobs? Because you know that's where the hiring has been. Obama is growing the Democrat base, adding workers who will vote Democrat for pay increases.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Simply excahnged on problem for another, but the net effect will be the same. We will have to pay off this enormous debt somehow and since politicians do not know how to cut spending, they will increase taxes which will smother the economy.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
U.S. Economy Gets Lift From Stimulus - WSJ.com

Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Are you counting Government jobs? Because you know that's where the hiring has been. Obama is growing the Democrat base, adding workers who will vote Democrat for pay increases.
Are you saying that federal government jobs don't count? As one federal retiree to another, I have to say I'm surprised by that.

As a federal employee, did you always vote Democratic? Do you think all new federal employees vote Democratic? Or only those hired while President Obama is in office?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
It's hard to tell whether it worked across the country. I do know that in my county, they got stimulus money to repave most of the roads. It did put some people back to work but soon the road work will be finished and the jobs will be gone.

The upside is the work was done and people had jobs. The downside is the jobs will be over. Then what?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Even if we were facing a depression, we would not know it yet. It requires 2 or more years of negative GDP growth. It would be the end of July this year before we knew this was a [hypothetical] depression. To say the stimulus created growth is also a bit of a stretch, because GDP growth has been weak for the past 9 months. The only decent period of 5.6% growth was fueled by a refilling of private inventories drained by the recession. The cash for clunkers program, which only ran a few billion dollars, did more for the economy than over $1.2 trillion in stimulus spending. This is why I advocated much smaller, more focused spending that targets consumers and not the banks.

Quote:
I do have the time to fact check your numbers, but I think they are a little low considering the BLS reported over 564,000 jobs created over the past 3 months were directly related to the 2010 Census.

Quote:
That is ridiculous. The measure used to determine that only 1 million jobs were created under Bush is computed by adding up all months under his presidency. In reality, about 9 million jobs were created between 2002 and 2007. Bush had to deal with a brief recession in 2000-2001 and of course the current mess in 2008. If we use the same measure on Obama's term, 3 million jobs have been lost under him, including the jobs created this year.

Of course, that is not to say that Bush still had a weak job growth history compared to past presidents.. Clinton inherited an excellent economy in the middle of recovery, and jobs were only beginning to shed his last few months in office..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies