Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

Public Policy Polling: Fallout from the Spill

Quote:
Our new Louisiana poll has a lot of data points to show how unhappy voters in the state are with Barack Obama's handling of the oil spill but one perhaps sums it up better than anything else- a majority of voters there think George W. Bush did a better job with Katrina than Obama's done dealing with the spill.

50% of voters in the state, even including 31% of Democrats, give Bush higher marks on that question compared to 35% who pick Obama.

Overall only 32% of Louisianans approve of how Obama has handled the spill to 62% who disapprove.
This is devastating.

Now remember, PPP is a democrat pollster.

And the people of Louisiana still support drilling, logically, sensibly. I guess they see through the fear-mongering and rhetoric of obama, considering it is their economy he is killing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,944 times
That's not hard, since his response has been nothing, other than blocking help for those people....

Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,101 times
To me Katrina was the most devastating disaster the U.S. has ever seen. Knowing how the people lost their lives, parents lives, children's lives . I won't speak about like I have thought about it. George Bush did respond
to the area in a timely manner. One thing I think we all remember is how poorly and how embarrassing to Oklahomans, the head of, uh oh, umm FEMA ? was so inept in and of his duties.

OBama didn't even go to the coasts of any gulf states for over a month. I believe he didn't care, or there was an agenda. Did he want more destruction for everything and everyone down there. He was worse, than the Oklahoma dude. That is not the only time O has drug his feet in times of national need of a leader. Peter Fonda almost beat Obama down there. He
and a couple of friends rode their bikes and spoke with the people who were suffering.

I never understood why BP was drilling the gulf closest to our country. I guess BP has always been the forerunner of "Big Oil" companies since their practices in the mid east. BP sure didn't impress me in stopping the oil or the clean up.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:53 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default Who cares?

This doesn't change the fact that Bush was and is the worst President this country has ever had. His time in office showed us that Republicans are inept frauds. What "Louisiana" thinks means about as much as what Charles Manson thinks.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
This doesn't change the fact that Bush was and is the worst President this country has ever had. His time in office showed us that Republicans are inept frauds. What "Louisiana" thinks means about as much as what Charles Manson thinks.
How dare they not worship Obama!!?!! Their opinions are no better than Manson's.

btw, this is a zombie thread.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:24 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times
What happened and what people in Louisiana feel about what happened may well be two different things. I'm not surprised that people in Louisiana think the scum Bush did a better job than Obama, but that doesn't make it so.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
I'd classify both as federal government failures.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:49 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Public Policy Polling: Fallout from the Spill

This is devastating.

Now remember, PPP is a democrat pollster.

And the people of Louisiana still support drilling, logically, sensibly. I guess they see through the fear-mongering and rhetoric of obama, considering it is their economy he is killing.

Rather an odd poll, in some ways.

I was not aware that Obama was supposed to 'do' anything regarding the clean-up. If I recall, all that Obama did was impose the moratorium on further such off-shore drilling (lifted October 2010, but no new permits until the next year). Of course, said moratorium caused unemployment rates to rise a lot, in addition to those jobs lost by fishermen, tourist industry, etc.

Since the poll shows that 57 percent disapprove of Mr. Obama's job performance (as a whole), I guess I am not surprised that 50 percent thought Mr. Bush did a 'better job' in handling Katrina than Obama 'handled' Horizon. It is rather like going into a KKK meeting and polling the denizens: Who do you like better, Obama or Ron Paul?

I will also note that one problem is 'distance' from the event. Katrina struck in 2005, while the Horizon oil spill was 2010. Since the ramifications of the oil spill is still being felt (and with a lot of huskers still trying to get some of the BP money), it is little wonder that the good people of Louisiana are more dissatisfied with Obama than Bush.

We must recall that in 2006, polls showed that 2 of 3 Americans were dissatisfied with how President Bush 'handled' Katrina.

Poll: Bush Ratings At All-Time Low - CBS News

Anyway, one part of the poll seems odd: it seems to show that a significant number of people believe that Bush did a better job than Obama after Katrina. Hmm. I had not realized that Senator Obama, in 2005, had a Katrina responsibilities.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:02 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...ase_LA_615.pdf

It's a 2010 poll - 4 and 1/2 years ago.
Questions 9 & 10 show no significant difference between Bush & Obama.

Q9 Do you approve or disapprove of how George
W. Bush handled the aftermath of Hurricane
Katrina?
Approve .................................................. ........ 34%
Disapprove........................................ .............. 58%
Not Sure.............................................. ............ 8%

Q10 Do you approve or disapprove of how Barack
Obama has handled the aftermath of the oil
spill?
Approve .................................................. ........ 32%
Disapprove........................................ .............. 62%
Not Sure.............................................. ............ 6%

Q17 Would you describe yourself as a liberal,
moderate, or conservative? If liberal, press 1. If
moderate, press 2. If conservative, press 3.
Liberal........................................... .................. 11%
Moderate.......................................... ............... 44%
Conservative...................................... ............. 46%

Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,183 times
I used to live in New orleans. I wouldn't put too much into this because the people of Louisiana hate New Orleans, and Katrina primarily affected the New Orleans metropolitan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies