Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Pretty much the same across the board. Pathetic, disappointing, useless, meaningless, playing politics in an attempt to push his Cap&Tax.

Can we say now for certain that the WH staffers and obama are completely tone deaf? They are mostly young, inexperienced, immature ideologues (exactly like their boss) who have no idea what they are doing. Imagine coming out with a speech like that, at this late date in the crisis.

PostPartisan - Obama disappoints from the beginning of his speech

Quote:
For the umpteenth time since the Gulf of Mexico oil spill began, an anxious nation was informed that Energy Secretary Steven Chu has a Nobel Prize.

Obama’s speech pretty much went down hill from there.

If there’s an official list of administration talking points about the response to the oil spill, “Chu’s Nobel” has to be at the top.
Well, what can one expect when they are in over their heads, drowning in their own political hackery?

Obama's Curiously Flat Gulf Speech - Newsweek

Quote:
And that, in short, is why his speech to the nation fell so flat even as he delivered it.

Instead, there was far too much of: a dissertation on the inscrutability of the future; a discussion of the commissions and studies he planned to set up; the fine credentials of his advisers; and a partial admission that he had been way too credulous in accepting “assurances” earlier this year that it was safe to ramp up off-shore drilling off the American coasts.
Obama Oil Spill Speech Reax: Epic Fail

Quote:
The few sound bytes I heard on NPR this morning were exceedingly week, even by George W. Bush standards. Moreover, even those on the president’s side were disappointed if not outright angry.

My initial thoughts when I was reading some of the “leaked” previews yesterday were that it sounded like a speech Jimmy Carter would have given. Indeed, like speeches Jimmy Carter give thirty-odd years ago.
Carter redux, on steroids. Anybody taken a look at Carter's "malaise" speech and this one?

Obama's Oil Spill Speech: What Was The Point?

Quote:
I am really not entirely sure what the point to this Oval Office address was!
Quote:
Obama really, really wants to stop the oil spill. And he really, really wants to hold BP accountable for the damage they've done. And he really, really wants the Gulf Coast to come through this hardship and he really, really wants to wean us from our dependency on foreign oil, and oil in general.
Yes, we'd all like to see that happen, at least the first two. Reiterating his desires did absolutely nothing to tell the American people what his PLAN is to contain and clean up the oil. And the reason is - HE DOESN'T HAVE A PLAN, after 60 days, no plan.

Obama's Oil Spill Speech: Running On Empty | Mother Jones

Damn, how many times are his speechwriters going to regurgitate the same tired old cliches, platitudes and history lessons?

Quote:
On Twitter, here was my insta-reaction to Obama's oil spill address from the Oval Office:

What a terrible speech.

This gives pablum a bad name.
Pablum is a great description of what his speeches have been reduced to. I think it's about time beer-pong Tommy Vietor be replaced with a grown-up.

Hot Air » Video: Estimates of flow rate in Gulf continue to escalate

Do watch the CNN video, where even David Gergen has a hard time stomaching the rhetoric.

And one of the gentlemen with Cooper asks a really great question at the end.

"Alternative energy makes up only 3% of all the energy in this country.

No nukes, no oil, no transmission lines for wind and solar, what is it exactly
we're going to do to get up to alternative energy where it can CARRY this country's energy needs."

He's right - nobody ever asks the president that question.

These two local officials are really on point and focused on the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
I think part of the problem is people are starting to get up to speed. These speeches worked early on because they were fresh and new. But Obama hasn’t said anything new since this same stuff was new back when he was the Jr. Senator from Ill.

The other part of the problem is, as per usual, Obama says one thing but does another. Pretty speeches are nice when you’ve been listening to GWB (who I like) say things like OBGYNs practicing their love on their patients.... but eventually we presidents have to do stuff. and the doing of stuff is not matching the speeches.

The good news is, Obama is a liberal and he is ruining their side. Not mine. The bad news is Obama is ruining the part of America I live in and love so much.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Pretty much the same across the board. Pathetic, disappointing, useless, meaningless, playing politics in an attempt to push his Cap&Tax.
Really?

Obama Tells Nation Of 'Battle Plan' To Fight Spill : NPR

White House aides say he still supports a tax on carbon, but he didn't mention it last night, an omission that probably disappointed environmentalists.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I think part of the problem is people are starting to get up to speed. These speeches worked early on because they were fresh and new. But Obama hasn’t said anything new since this same stuff was new back when he was the Jr. Senator from Ill.

The other part of the problem is, as per usual, Obama says one thing but does another. Pretty speeches are nice when you’ve been listening to GWB (who I like) say things like OBGYNs practicing their love on their patients.... but eventually we presidents have to do stuff. and the doing of stuff is not matching the speeches.

The good news is, Obama is a liberal and he is ruining their side. Not mine. The bad news is Obama is ruining the part of America I live in and love so much.
Hi speeches are basically boilerplate tripe, just replace one issue with another and you wouldn't have to change anything else.

FOXNews.com - Obama Draws Bipartisan Criticism for Using Oil Spill to Push Energy Policy

Quote:
"As we recover from this recession, the transition to clean energy has the potential to grow our economy and create millions of good, middle-class jobs, but only if we accelerate that transition," Obama said. "Only if we seize the moment. And only if we rally together and act as one nation -- workers and entrepreneurs; scientists and citizens; the public and private sectors."
Gosh, doesn't that sound familiar? Just replace "clean energy" with healthcare. Same speech, same ridiculous sense of urgency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Really?

Obama Tells Nation Of 'Battle Plan' To Fight Spill : NPR

White House aides say he still supports a tax on carbon, but he didn't mention it last night, an omission that probably disappointed environmentalists.
The words "battle plan" came from obama and his pathetic speech.

Did you see the links I posted? Mainly from the Left. The consensus is clear - a really disappointing, pathetic speech.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 PM

I was responding to your statement about the carbon tax.

I didn't have to look at those links to get an opinion about the speech, b/c I watched it.

I did look briefly at them.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Like NPR is unbiased just like Fox

Old 06-16-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Like NPR is unbiased just like Fox
Feel free to look up a transcript of the speech.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I was responding to your statement about the carbon tax.

I didn't have to look at those links to get an opinion about the speech, b/c I watched it.

I did look briefly at them.
I bet you loved it too.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
It was just another lame, dead end speech.
You can sure feel the CHANGE going on!
A "change" Barry wasn't referring to either.

And a lot of people HOPE November's mid-terms put his pressure cooker on ice.

Can't wait to see how much better, or different, his next pointless speech will be.
Oh, wait.....no I don't!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
As the Grinch would say, stink, stank, stunk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies