Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt, President Obama, his Agenda, and his Leadership is severely being tested right now. As it stands, he's taking a major hit over this oil spill catastrophe and unemployment, and it's not getting any better for the guy. The media has turned on him, conservatives have turned up the heat on him, and even his base is in disarray over his lackadaisical approach to governing.

Of course there are many other negatives that are dogging him as well, such as the debt/deficit, Gitmo, DADT, war, etc.

It seems to me that liberal ideology ala Barack Obama is on its way down the tubes heading into this election season.

Liberals: Can you recover? If so, why do you think so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
I think so. It may take losing the House in November, but ultimately the conservative movement for the past year has been full of rhetoric and I'm not sure they have policy in mind to back that rhetoric up. In addition, a lot of the harshest rhetoric has come from the far right and has been based on lies and exaggerations. I think mainstream America either likes Obama or hates him, they don't see him as Jesus like the far-left or as Satan as does the far-right.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
I don't know about wounded but they are certainly running scared. You can tell by the upswing in personal attacks. When they fear they are losing the masses they lash out out those they fear, the tea-partiers, Christians, anyone with conservative, traditional values.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I don't know about wounded but they are certainly running scared. You can tell by the upswing in personal attacks. When they fear they are losing the masses they lash out out those they fear, the tea-partiers, Christians, anyone with conservative, traditional values.
To me, the real personal attack comes in assuming that nobody on the left can possibly be a Christian or have traditional values.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,873 times
No, I don't think we can recover. I hate the fact that we have an intelligent President and long for the days when the POTUS was a simpleton that knew how to cut weeds.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,157,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Without a doubt, President Obama, his Agenda, and his Leadership is severely being tested right now. As it stands, he's taking a major hit over this oil spill catastrophe and unemployment, and it's not getting any better for the guy. The media has turned on him, conservatives have turned up the heat on him, and even his base is in disarray over his lackadaisical approach to governing.

Of course there are many other negatives that are dogging him as well, such as the debt/deficit, Gitmo, DADT, war, etc.

It seems to me that liberal ideology ala Barack Obama is on its way down the tubes heading into this election season.

The only saving grace is the public's memory of 8 year of the Bush Republicans.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:35 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
I don't know if I qualify as a full liberal, but I probably do in the eyes of most people here since I'm not a hard-core right winger. So I'll bite.

And I would say to you: have you looked at political history in the US?

First the Democrats take control and muck things up...and then some Republican Bush-like dude will come in again and take everything in the other direction and muck things up even worse...and then Democrats will come back into vogue and do a bunch of stuff in the other direction and muck things up...and then it will be back to the other side...

It's an endless back-and-forth cycle. Obama might not have even won the presidency if Bush hadn't been so horrible. So of course the liberals will recover again right after the conservatives in power finish screw everything up.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
No, I don't think we can recover. I hate the fact that we have an intelligent President and long for the days when the POTUS was a simpleton that knew how to cut weeds.
Yes, we do have an intelligent President. I don't disagree. But we also have a dreamer and not a doer in office. If he could come back down out of the stratosphere for a bit, reign in Pelosi and Reid, and connect with the American people, then he might have a chance.

I don't begrudge setting large goals. I do that for myself. Which is precisely why he's viewed like he is by the right. The American people like to judge for themselves how to live their life. No one wants "redistribution of wealth." It's not the American Spirit to do so. That's what the President and the left don't get. And unfortunately for them, there aren't enough liberals at the ballot box to ensure that it happens.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
Yes, we do have an intelligent President. I don't disagree. But we also have a dreamer and not a doer in office. If he could come back down out of the stratosphere for a bit, reign in Pelosi and Reid, and connect with the American people, then he might have a chance.

I don't begrudge setting large goals. I do that for myself. Which is precisely why he's viewed like he is by the right. The American people like to judge for themselves how to live their life. No one wants "redistribution of wealth." It's not the American Spirit to do so. That's what the President and the left don't get. And unfortunately for them, there aren't enough liberals at the ballot box to ensure that it happens.
I disagree.

PolitiFact | The Obameter: Obama's Campaign Promises that are Promise Kept

Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I don't know if I qualify as a full liberal, but I probably do in the eyes of most people here since I'm not a hard-core right winger. So I'll bite.

And I would say to you: have you looked at political history in the US?

First the Democrats take control and muck things up...and then some Republican Bush-like dude will come in again and take everything in the other direction and muck things up even worse...and then Democrats will come back into vogue and do a bunch of stuff in the other direction and muck things up...and then it will be back to the other side...

It's an endless back-and-forth cycle. Obama might not have even won the presidency if Bush hadn't been so horrible. So of course the liberals will recover again right after the conservatives in power finish screw everything up.
I agree with everything you say. I mainly was curious if they thought they could recover in time for the upcoming elections. I may not have been clear enough on that point though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies