Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the BP being forced to put $ 20 billion in escrow
Agree ( Democrat) 32 25.40%
Disagree (Democrat) 0 0%
Agree (Republican) 8 6.35%
Disagree (Republican) 16 12.70%
Agree (Independent/ Other) 55 43.65%
Disagree (Independent/ Other) 15 11.90%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,876,854 times

Advertisements

To my knowledge, BP has never backed away from acknowledging it's responsibility. Certainly, they did try to minimize, in some early attempts to "pay off" some people, to avoid further expense. They stopped that practice quite quickly. Their process to process claims was lacking also. So actually, I think it eases BPs administrative burden, to establish this fund and turn over the processing. The costs will be massive. They know that, they acknowledge that and they accept that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,172,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its amazing that the very same people who whined and moaned while accusing Bush of violating the rule of law, are now pretending like the rule of law is something which should be ignored at will, in order to defend Obama..
Its amazing that the very same people who whine and moan, accusing Obama of violating the rule of law, are now pretending like ignoring the rule of law, which they defended when Bush did it, is something they've always been against

Old 06-20-2010, 05:04 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,335,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Its amazing that the very same people who whine and moan, accusing Obama of violating the rule of law, are now pretending like ignoring the rule of law, which they defended when Bush did it, is something they've always been against
I'm sorry when the rule of law is not adequate it should be repealed. The rule of law when Bush was in office did not benefit the american people, this is a different ballgame altogether. 75 million would not touch the surface of this massive clean up. If you lived in those areas you proably would applaud the fact that it is circumvented.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:08 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,335,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I've read enough here to get the idea that the polarized American political reality is working as planned. Bill Clinton did it, Obama didn't do enough to stop it, we should coddle the corporations or they'll "run away to Brazil", it's all "blackmail", the poor oil companies were "forced" to drill farther out to sea by the evil Bill. This is the result of too much BS getting in the way of everything we do as a nation now. It's all about the party, or it's the other guy's fault because he's in the wrong party. Of course in the revisionist history version the "other" party was just the greatest, nothing wrong was ever done by them, they were sooooo much better at handling the nations troubles etc. etc.

Fact is that corporations are getting away with murder while the low men argue over what they see as the real issues, that's to say the crap they see on TV or hear on bluster radio, they can't learn through reading anymore because they simply don't read. A nation divided doesn't last long, oh there will be responses from those who see this as just the democratic process at work, but really it's the end of civil and informed discourse. Should the people ever go back to thinking for themselves the corporations would be trembling in their collective boots, don't be fooled by their paid for shouters, the truth is, neither party gives a damn about the American people.....
BRAVO!!! Media manipulation of the masses is in effect! Because the vast majority of the american people refuses to research facts and instead get ALL of their information from one source (right or wrong) and run with it

Old 06-20-2010, 05:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
please I don't give a cr*p if a small majority of obama haters think BP putting aside 20 Billion to help take care of the mess their short cuts is extortion or blackmail.
That about sums it up.. YOU DONT CARE about the law, and about people being extorted, or facing blackmail..
Quote:
BP is responsible for thousands of business and people losing their incomes.
No one has denied this... Whats your point other than ranting and raving
Quote:
they need to pay.
No, they WISH to pay.. The law states they do NOT need to pay..
Quote:
if BP wants to remain in business it will be in their best interest to pay the claims against them and clean up the mess. any other tap dance you can give is just that a tap dance.
Yeah, now the truth is a tap dance.. What do you think would have happened to BP if they stopped paying at $75M and said F U to the rest? They LEGALLY could have stopped. Do you think you COULD stop buying oil from BP if you wanted to? How on gods earth is paying $20B, in their best interest instead of the legal cap of $75M.. Explain this to me!!
Quote:
you might want to add up the poll numbers you are way in the minority. or you wanna think the poll is fixed?
I dont give a crap about being in the minority.. Are you going to discriminate against me?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:19 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,051,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That about sums it up.. YOU DONT CARE about the law, and about people being extorted, or facing blackmail..

No one has denied this... Whats your point other than ranting and raving

No, they WISH to pay.. The law states they do NOT need to pay..

Yeah, now the truth is a tap dance.. What do you think would have happened to BP if they stopped paying at $75M and said F U to the rest? They LEGALLY could have stopped. Do you think you COULD stop buying oil from BP if you wanted to? How on gods earth is paying $20B, in their best interest instead of the legal cap of $75M.. Explain this to me!!

I dont give a crap about being in the minority.. Are you going to discriminate against me?

BP is not being extorted or blackmailed
the law may state they don't have to pay but morally the owe big time and it is in their best interests to pay so they can stay in business in the US.

in maui we have no BP gas stations so for me I could stop buying from them. however if I want them to remain solvent perhaps people should continue to buy from them. I have tried to simplify my life so if I wanted to I could very easily only use a bike and be just fine.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
its not enough. BP should go bankrupt
Waaaa.. BP should go bankrupt.. Yeah, that'll fix them..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Ahh yes, she just doesn't think the government should actually force BP to pay and believes that we should count on BP to do the right ting, because afterall noting like a company taking shortcuts to show they can be counted on to do the right thing
BP WAS doing the right thing were they not? Link me to ONE source which said BP didnt agree to pay for the damages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Democrats in lock step , how shocking !
Democrats ignoring the rule of law caused me to switch from a Democrat to a Republican.. This happened during the Clinton years.. I never once thought the majority of Democrats would just say "I dont care if the law is being broken".. I thought they wanted to hold the higher ground because they keep claiming this was their wishes, clearly I was wrong, and they were lying..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Is that what you want?
What we want is not important.. The ONLY thing important is WHAT DOES THE LAW SAY..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Topic isnt Bush.. I know your life revolves around the man but you need to move on with life and find a way to focus all of that childish hate you have.. Bush NEVER violated the rules of law.. I'd agree he came dangerously close but coming close, and outright ignoring it, isnt even in the same ball park.. The non stop excuses of "Bush did it", so can Obama is pretty childish, dont you think?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,876,854 times
Quote:
the law may state they don't have to pay but morally the owe big time and it is in their best interests to pay so they can stay in business in the US.

in maui we have no BP gas stations so for me I could stop buying from them. however if I want them to remain solvent perhaps people should continue to buy from them. I have tried to simplify my life so if I wanted to I could very easily only use a bike and be just fine.
I don't think BP owns any to the gas stations. The people advocating boycott of them, are simply making an idiotic assumption. No good purpose in doing that.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You couldnt shut BP down if you wanted to.. Do you really think stopping to buy their oil at the pumps is harming them? You'd have to live in the woods like the Unibomber in order to effect BP..
Quote:
What gas stations are there, because they supply Castooil, ARCO, AM/PM, Air BP, Aral stations, Amoco, Gulf etc.. You'd have to agree to never fly in a plan, ride in a car, buy groceries, etc to effect BP.. Are you willing to do that? If you reply, thereby using up the internet and electricity, I'd assume you arent willing to sacrifice your way of life to put your words where your mouth is..

Old 06-20-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't think BP owns any to the gas stations. The people advocating boycott of them, are simply making an idiotic assumption. No good purpose in doing that.
Bob, you finally got one right..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies