Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the BP being forced to put $ 20 billion in escrow
Agree ( Democrat) 32 25.40%
Disagree (Democrat) 0 0%
Agree (Republican) 8 6.35%
Disagree (Republican) 16 12.70%
Agree (Independent/ Other) 55 43.65%
Disagree (Independent/ Other) 15 11.90%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,053,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You couldnt shut BP down if you wanted to.. Do you really think stopping to buy their oil at the pumps is harming them? You'd have to live in the woods like the Unibomber in order to effect BP..

What gas stations are there, because they own Castooil, ARCO, AM/PM, Air BP, Aral stations, Amoco, Gulf etc.. You'd have to agree to never fly in a plan, ride in a car, buy groceries, etc to effect BP.. Are you willing to do that? If you reply, thereby using up the internet and electricity, I'd assume you arent willing to sacrifice your way of life to put your words where your mouth is..

you asked the question could I quit buying gas from BP. i said I could here on island, not that I would even if they were here on island. we do not on maui have any gas station that you list. I have no intention on bring BP "down" I doubt there is anyone person that could. there business may take more of a hit just by this gusher they have going in the gulf than any boycott could ever do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:39 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,878,364 times
Quote:
Bob, you finally got one right..
I never make a mistake! I thought I did once, about 10 yrs ago, but I was mistaken.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you asked the question could I quit buying gas from BP. i said I could here on island, not that I would even if they were here on island. we do not on maui have any gas station that you list. I have no intention on bring BP "down" I doubt there is anyone person that could. there business may take more of a hit just by this gusher they have going in the gulf than any boycott could ever do
I do see that you have a Shell, a Chevron, and various other stations there...

But Shell owns part of BP, (50% of BP Africa for example), and Chevron shares a training facility with BP and technology to manufacture resin.. While they are seperate companies, all of these oil companies are very connected.

You couldnt stop buying and giving BP your money if you wanted to, unless you stop living in society..

Old 06-20-2010, 05:53 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
Waaaa.. BP should go bankrupt.. Yeah, that'll fix them..

BP WAS doing the right thing were they not? Link me to ONE source which said BP didnt agree to pay for the damages
So far they were. However, from some of the internal e-mails that have been released we know BP took short cuts and cut corners. Quite simply BP has shown little reason to trust them.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I do see that you have a Shell, a Chevron, and various other stations there...

But Shell owns part of BP, (50% of BP Africa for example), and Chevron shares a training facility with BP and technology to manufacture resin.. While they are seperate companies, all of these oil companies are very connected.

You couldnt stop buying and giving BP your money if you wanted to, unless you stop living in society..

and your point? I already said I didn't think a boycott of BP was productive. the omnipresent corps are in every aspect of society. I try not to shop at wallmart either. your point in reminding me again? we all consume what we what. I don't buy my gas from the shell or the chevron either. I use tesoro mostly which I think is independent, but even if they were owned by BP I would still use them as stated in other posts. we all protest in our own way, in this case I want BP to pay for all the damage they caused. so it is my wish they stay in business long enough to do so.

you call paying for the mess they made extortion and blackmail? I call it making right the mess of the worst oil spill in our history.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
So far they were. However, from some of the internal e-mails that have been released we know BP took short cuts and cut corners. Quite simply BP has shown little reason to trust them.
So if you think BP wasnt going to do the right thing, and pay the claims, then tell me under what LEGAL authority the government used to "make BP pay"?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 PM

pgh, do you think BP should pay at all. do you want their damages capped? do you trust them to pay if you think they should. how would you make them pay?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
and your point? I already said I didn't think a boycott of BP was productive. the omnipresent corps are in every aspect of society. I try not to shop at wallmart either. your point in reminding me again? we all consume what we what. I don't buy my gas from the shell or the chevron either. I use tesoro mostly which I think is independent, but even if they were owned by BP I would still use them as stated in other posts. we all protest in our own way, in this case I want BP to pay for all the damage they caused. so it is my wish they stay in business long enough to do so.

you call paying for the mess they made extortion and blackmail? I call it making right the mess of the worst oil spill in our history.
I'm sorry, I thought this was you claiming that the only way BP could stay in business was to pay the claims and clean up the mess.
Quote:
if BP wants to remain in business it will be in their best interest to pay the claims against them and clean up the mess.
Now you are telling me you oppose the boycott, which has me scratching my head trying to figure out how BP would have gone out of business..

Old 06-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
pgh, do you think BP should pay at all.
I'm GLAD BP is doing the RIGHT thing, but they are doing so by choice
Quote:
do you want their damages capped?
Do I want their damages capped, no.. People should be responsible for the damages they cause.. But their damages ARE capped..
Quote:
do you trust them to pay if you think they should.
Yes, if they are doing whats RIGHT, even though the law says they dont HAVE to pay, then I have no reason to think they wouldnt be paying what they already are..
Quote:
how would you make them pay?
You cant MAKE them pay.. The law limits their liability.. Any judge would throw the lawsuit out..

It was the GOVERNMENTS responsibility to purchase insurance to cover the damages in the event of a disaster.. The GOVERNMENT failed.. and I dont think the GOVERNMENT should be let off the hook for their inability to abide by a contract/law they put into place...

Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought this was you claiming that the only way BP could stay in business was to pay the claims and clean up the mess.

Now you are telling me you oppose the boycott, which has me scratching my head trying to figure out how BP would have gone out of business..

I said, I thought BP paying the claims and taking care of the responsibility was good for their business as in the PR it would give them. giving them an image of people who care behind the big corp that they are.

I only oppose a boycott for me as I agree with you in that I would have no effect what so ever on BP with my refusing to buy gas from them. none what so ever. someone else wants to boycott, that is on them.

I doubt BP would go out of business from any boycott, there isn't enough people to take them down willing to boycott them long enough to do so.

they just have to weather the storm. I hope they do the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies