Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should only net payers into the system be allowed to vote?
Yes 29 35.37%
No 49 59.76%
Other 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 PM

744 posts, read 812,221 times

Advertisements

I personally think your should have a financial stake in this country to be able to have the privilege of voting. Some exceptions such as elderly who have been net payers into the system their whole lives. Otherwise it gives incentive for politicians to buy votes from the welfare class. I don't think the welfare class should be allowed to vote for politicians who will give stuff to them from the people it is taken from. It's a screwed up system.

I'm open to arguments otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
This is a flawed poll because everyone pays taxes in some form, therefore everyone with the exception of a few mountain men living off the land have a financial stake in the country.
The criteria for voting should be education. Not formal education, but a comprehensive knowledge of how government works. This could be demonstrated by a test taken in order to acquire the right to vote.(a license) Contrary to popular belief, the forefathers did not intend on everyone in the country voting. Even then they realized that not everyone possessed the interest or the knowledge to make informed decisions on laws and leadership. What we have now is nation of ignorant voters who are easily manipulated by whomever has enough money to produce the most persuasive television commercials. Since the financing for these commercials come from corporate sponsored (PACS) the politicians owe there office, their souls, and any hopes they have of re election to the corporations, and not the public. Voters need to be people who are intelligent and engaged enough to ignore the propaganda, and do their own research of the candidates and the issues. Of course this will never happen as it would return power to the people and remove it from the elite who possess it now.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Luckily it's not UP to you - ever heard of no taxation without representation?

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Just limiting it to bonafide living citizens would be a nice first step in the right direction

Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I personally think your should have a financial stake in this country to be able to have the privilege of voting. Some exceptions such as elderly who have been net payers into the system their whole lives. Otherwise it gives incentive for politicians to buy votes from the welfare class. I don't think the welfare class should be allowed to vote for politicians who will give stuff to them from the people it is taken from. It's a screwed up system.

Would have to disagree with such a concept.
Doesn't EVERYONE......HAVE "some" form of "financial stake" in this country?
You are letting your pre-conceived notions of class disparity, get the better of your judgment.
Except for the part where you said...."It's a screwed up system."
It is.....but your proposal is UNCONSTITUTIONAL and can only serve a purpose that would DIVIDE US further and create even more tensions.....guaranteed.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Luckily it's not UP to you - ever heard of no taxation without representation?

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez
Yes I have, and it did not refer to individuals, it referred to the colonies not having any representation in the British government. Thank you for illuminating my point.

"If you do not know the reasons for the law... you do not understand the law."

Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post

I think only those that have a net worth of over $10 million, own property appraised over $2 million, and can name all seven dwarfs (or Santa's reindeer) should be allowed to vote!

Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I think only those that have a net worth of over $10 million, own property appraised over $2 million, and can name all seven dwarfs (or Santa's reindeer) should be allowed to vote!
NO way.......those folks?
Too many of 'em.
No way that many can truly know what is best for the rest of US poor folks who can't think for ourselves and haven't got a clue what would be best for all.
Poor = Stupid
Rich = Too smart
Why not make it so one must have a net worth of over $1 Billion and own property appraised over $50 million?
Surely, "these" more elite folks can be trusted to vote in the VERY best interest of EVERY American and since they are so well-to-doo doo......they obviously know what's best for everyone.
A Net value of just $10 million = chump change! (No true elitist could live very long with such a paltry net worth).
Besides......a greedy politician has far more opportunities hangin with the snobby, global elite, than your average peon, working stiff.....who's only real purpose to them is......an infinite ability to PAY more and more TAXES, remain bent over, never complain, enjoy the freedom they allow to have and always be a polite, little serf when you say...."Thank you sir, may I have another" while getting the shaft, repeatedly.
ClasSICK....tyrannical, power trippers.

Last edited by Sign; 06-18-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 01:05 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Yes I have, and it did not refer to individuals, it referred to the colonies not having any representation in the British government. Thank you for illuminating my point.

"If you do not know the reasons for the law... you do not understand the law."

Hell, why don't we just go back to only white male property owners can vote - you'd like that wouldn't you?

and btw mr reading comprehension 101 - my post was addressing the OP, not YOU.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:09 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opyelie View Post

Hell, why don't we just go back to only white male property owners can vote - you'd like that wouldn't you?

this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies