Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 PM

40 posts, read 42,490 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Surf On Pensacola Beach Boiling Like Acid

...and this is only going to get worse. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Is there any reason to continue deep water drilling in the Gulf while this problem is still needs to be fixed? The oil industry can’t fix this one yet and I don’t think there’s enough resources to deal with a second disaster in the deep waters.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:09 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Is there any reason to continue deep water drilling in the Gulf while this problem is still needs to be fixed? The oil industry can’t fix this one yet and I don’t think there’s enough resources to deal with a second disaster in the deep waters.
Oh but don't you know, accidents hardly ever happen, BP probably promises another one won't ever come along because they have it all figured out.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 PM

Hurricane season is coming and it’s not looking good. How much of this oil will be picked up and moved inland away from the beaches? Very scary indeed.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Sad to see such a beautiful beach being affected by this ugly thing.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Foriegn countries are drilling all over the gulf and Petrogras is scheduled to drill more than twice as deep as the Deep Horizon's well. How does Obama/Salizar moritorium stop another disaster from happening? Clue, it doesn't because these other nation will keep right on drilling.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Foriegn countries are drilling all over the gulf and Petrogras is scheduled to drill more than twice as deep as the Deep Horizon's well. How does Obama/Salizar moritorium stop another disaster from happening? Clue, it doesn't because these other nation will keep right on drilling.
This may be an odd concept for some of you pro-kill our wildlife people, but how about we worry about what we can control with our own country instead of trying to artificially create problems with other countries, this was OUR well that got ****ed up stop trying to place blame on others because you don't want to recognize that.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 PM

At this point I don’t think any other corporations from “other” countries would want to drill in the Gulf. Call me naive but I believe logical thinking would avoid drilling at this time. I would believe the world is looking at this disaster and it will affect them as well as the entire Gulf area and more if things don’t turn around.

The oil industry isn’t equipped to deal with the failure, BP has no positive answers or fix as yet, and the government has never been part a rescue effort like this before. The military isn’t in the oil business and just simply isn’t able to do much for private oil industries.

Until things are under control with this why drill more holes that could have a failure? There are only 33 exploratory drilling that need to be shut down, the other 1,000 + oil rigs can continue doing business.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
This may be an odd concept for some of you pro-kill our wildlife people, but how about we worry about what we can control with our own country instead of trying to artificially create problems with other countries, this was OUR well that got ****ed up stop trying to place blame on others because you don't want to recognize that.
I am not a "pro-kill our wildlife person". I actually just released a wild animal I rehabbed the first of the week. What hands on action have you taken to protect a wild animal in the past week?

I fully recognize that this well was in US Federal waters. I recognize that BP was allowed to operate this well without the usually licensing requirements by THIS administration. I fully recognize that BP has an abysmal safety record and has had more leaks and violations the ALL the other oil companies operating under US lease permits combined.

I also fully recognize that the Obama administration has under their watch supposedly inspected and passed at least 27 of the platforms it is now trying to place a moritorium upon. Why? Did they not really do the inspections or are they politicizing this for their cap & tax agenda? Really, if he wants to control or minimize the damage why turn away help from foreign countries and the states which would have significantly reduced the amount of oil making landfall in the beaches and estuaries? Why put a halt on all royalties coming into the federal government from oil/gas drilling when that money could be used to help clean up the Gulf. BP doesn't have enough money to do the entire job and the clean up will go on for decades. They may not even get this gusher shut down this year.

You accuse that I artificially create problems with other countries by suggesting the moritorium avoids no further disasters in the gulf while foreign countries continue to drill there. Isn't the truth that Obama is artificially creating problems with other oil companies and 30% of our economy based on BP's shortcomings and failures? Same leopard, same spots.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
I hope whoever took that video was wearing boots. It turns out the chemicals they used to "clean up" the spill have made the water MUCH more toxic. Now scientists are saying this cold be the worst environmental disaster in human history and a toxic rain could develop and kill all the vegatation in the eastern half of the United States. Look at this!

YouTube - Russian Scientists Warn: Toxic Rain Could Destroy North America/ Due to BP Chemical??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies