Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Clearly this judge's ruling was influenced by his personal investments.

Judge in oil spill case sells energy stocks - Disaster in the Gulf - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — The Louisiana federal judge who struck down a six-month ban on deepwater oil drilling has sold many of his energy investments, a financial disclosure report released Friday reveals.

U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman's disclosure report, which covers investments for 2009, shows he owned eight energy-related investments including stock in Exxon Mobil Corp.

However, in an attachment to the report, the judge said he sold his Exxon Mobil stock this June when he was hearing the oil spill case.
In last year's disclosure report, Feldman owned up to 16 energy-related investments.

Among the assets sold was stock in Transocean, the Switzerland-based company that owned the drilling rig operated by BP that is now spewing oil into the Gulf.

strange, I read that he had sold that stock over 2 years ago and not in the last couple of weeks.

maybe msnbc just has their facts wrong as usual.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Yea, who cares about the law, when the portfolio is at risk...
How many shares..100 or 100,000 ?

I don't think we're talking Soro's type money and investment here.
You are really stretching. Where's the outrage about BP's contributions to Obama. Why aren't you calling for Obama to give back the BP and other oil industry contributions ?

I think you libs are making a mountain out of a molehill.

How many Congressmen held shares of GM or GS or Insurance Companies and voted FOR the healthcare bill, for TARP, and for other bills that gave bailouts to these companies ?
How many Congressmen bought or sold shares in financial companies before voting on this Financial Reform bill ?

If you are going to witch hunt, at least make the pretense of doing it to both political parties and for issues across the board.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How many shares..100 or 100,000 ?

I don't think we're talking Soro's type money and investment here.
If Soros was a federal judge, then there would be a problem with him making these kinds of rulings. Wouldn't you agree?

PS this is not about a political party. I don't even know if the judge was "R" or "D".

Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Clearly"? I think, based on what Obama is doing, he ruled according to law. The President cannot just shut down an entire industry on a whim, putting millions of people out of work, and putting the entire nation at risk.

I believe his attempts to do this could be considered impeachable, because he is in violation of his oath of office. This is not "promoting the general welfare". That's just for starters.

As for the judge selling his stock, I believe he has every right to do as he pleases. It's his money that is at risk. Anyone else would do the same.

If you are looking for scandal, look at the White House and the current Democrat Congress. You'll find plenty there. But don't mention that.
Entire Industry. Since when is 33 rigs out of 3,600 an entire industry??

Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Who cares. He saved 30,000 jobs, while Obama has lost 10 million.

Impeach Obama and put the judge in his place. He has a better track jobs track record.
Making up numbers again I see.....

Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
He sold his stock in 2008, you are making up facts to suit our own purpose...
yes he sold stock in 2008, and then bought more stock.....

Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 PM

Ahh yes BP donating more to the GOP in EVERY SINGLE ELECTION CYCLE

Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
strange, I read that he had sold that stock over 2 years ago and not in the last couple of weeks.

maybe msnbc just has their facts wrong as usual.
He sold stock in 2008 and then purchased more stock including Exxon in which he held during the case.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Entire Industry. Since when is 33 rigs out of 3,600 an entire industry??
And while you worry about 33 rigs, the administration has approved leases for 400 more. I hope you email your rep and show your outrage.

400 Gulf Offshore Drilling Leases Approved By Government AFTER Oil Spill

"While existing rigs may be out of commission for the near future, the administration hasn't exactly put the brakes on new oil and gas drilling ventures. In recent weeks, the government has quietly approved the sale of more than 400 new leases for vast swaths of the Gulf of Mexico."

Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Clearly this judge's ruling was influenced by his personal investments.

Judge in oil spill case sells energy stocks - Disaster in the Gulf - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — The Louisiana federal judge who struck down a six-month ban on deepwater oil drilling has sold many of his energy investments, a financial disclosure report released Friday reveals.

U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman's disclosure report, which covers investments for 2009, shows he owned eight energy-related investments including stock in Exxon Mobil Corp.

However, in an attachment to the report, the judge said he sold his Exxon Mobil stock this June when he was hearing the oil spill case.
In last year's disclosure report, Feldman owned up to 16 energy-related investments.

Among the assets sold was stock in Transocean, the Switzerland-based company that owned the drilling rig operated by BP that is now spewing oil into the Gulf.
You have no idea what you are talking about stop the oil drilling now you have less oil the price goes up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies