Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 05:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,813,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
My next door neighbor never went to college and has a net worrth about $50 million. My neighbor across the street never went to college and has a net worth about $300 million (that one has a private jet and pilot specifically for thier dog, as they don't like the dog flying in "thier" jet"). Both started buinsesses and were very successful. Both worked thier asses off. There are specific training "schools", like welding, are about a year long and can set up a kid for a decent income. Most of the plumbers and electricians I know did not go to college and do pretty well. We all need these skilled workers who probably do not have an advanced degree (who cares?).

1. People who are unmotivated and lazy will fail whether they go to college or not
2. People who are hard working and are willing to take some risk will probably do well whether they go to college or not
3. If you are planning on a profession- you need college
4. If you are planning on being employed (rather than self employed) you probably need to go to college to make a liveable income
5. Going to college and getting a worthless degree, like sociology, psychology, literature, dance, or art will probabaly be a huge waste of money unless you are one of they very fortunate few that are able to go on, get a PhD, and teach in these areas.

In most instances, hard work trumps education. Lazy people fail regardless of how educated they are.

Excellent Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Those are the people that I love to give a big bill to.

Me too!! Actually I add more to the bill.

Last edited by AzScorpion12; 06-27-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 PM

268 posts, read 454,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Why do these so called "happy" people working those jobs complain about them so much? They are nowhere near as hard as an actual job you get with a degree.

I dare you to start a career in my industry. I swing a sledge hammer for a living. Blood, sweat and tears are poured in to my pay checks.

An actual job? You don't know anything about it, kid.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,181,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezy is BACK View Post
I dare you to start a career in my industry. I swing a sledge hammer for a living. Blood, sweat and tears are poured in to my pay checks.

lol you are so funny!

If you had read my original post I said I respect those that work in construction,oil rigs, mines, factories, but I do not respect or feel sorry for people that work at fast food restaurants or stores and complain nonstop about these so called hard jobs they have.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:26 PM

And you didn't read my post.

I said determination means more than an education. Hence the reason I'm completely satisfied without my college degree.

Try to keep up, please.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,152,615 times
Quote:

I'd be curious, is my job an ACTUAL job? I do corporate training for large corporations training their programmers and developers in several programming languages... I travel about 48 weeks a year. In my spare time, I have to keep up with the latest trends in programming, learn new languages, prepare for classes and market and run my business. I work about 70 hours a week.

But I don't have an actual job because I don't swing a sedge hammer? I wouldn't venture to say that your job is easy, or that I could even do your job. Don't make the converse mistake.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'd be curious, is my job an ACTUAL job? I do corporate training for large corporations training their programmers and developers in several programming languages... I travel about 48 weeks a year. In my spare time, I have to keep up with the latest trends in programming, learn new languages, prepare for classes and market and run my business. I work about 70 hours a week.

But I don't have an actual job because I don't swing a sedge hammer? I wouldn't venture to say that your job is easy, or that I could even do your job. Don't make the converse mistake.
I must have missed where I said that your job wasn't legitimate.

Maybe you can point that out for me.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
The illegal immigration thing is true to an extent. If you don't want to go to college fine, just stop complaining about not having enough money, when you(I mean everyone in general) had the chance to change your life. College takes work, true, but even the most unmotivated people can make it through. I've seen it before. When you begin college, just think how wonderful it will be when your out and that's motivation enough.

My ex friend was griping about how hard her job at the store was as a seafood clerk and then gets on my case when I tell her how stressed I am from college. She said "Pfft college can not be as stressful as working as a seafood clerk" I'm sorry, a seafood clerk is hard? If that's hard, then I doubt they could actually handle a real career.

For someone who has a college education, you certainly do have difficulty imagining the numerous reasons a person may fail to complete college or never attend at all. Did they not cover the issues of the underclass at your school?

"College takes work, true, but even the most unmotivated people can make it through. I've seen it before."

If they have the money!

College costs increase every year far beyond the inflation rate, and since most financial aid is made available based on family income with an expectation that the family's contribution will be equal to what is provided by all other sources combined, a young person whose family refuses to help is doomed. He or she might be able to spend a couple years at a community college, but after that, the cost of attending is prohibitively expensive. If, in your case, your family helped, great, but that isn't everyone's experience. If you have $50K in the bank, great, but the guy at Mickey D's probably doesn't. Some employers help with tuition reimbursement, but they are rare these days. So what's left? Even enlistment in the military isn't an option for everyone.

My plan, after running out of money while attending college years ago, was to develop other skills as a bridge to my ultimate goal. I returned to community college and enrolled in a technical program. I worked for a number of years in the field upon which I settled and even made some decent money. During those years I was able to take a few evening classes, but the selection of evening courses is limited and most of my time was spent working. It went no further than that. So, was I simply unmotivated?

The field I was in is dead right now and, as a result, I'm back to square one. I have little money for anything beyond my basic living expenses and all my plans are on hold. Am I not trying hard enough?

So my question for you is, how was your college education financed?

Did you work at Burger King fourteen hours a day to pay your tuition bill and buy pricey text books? Did you take the bus to school to avoid the cost of owning a vehicle? Or did you spend four years in the Army to get money for school?

Do your ex-friends have money in the bank for school expenses?

Are their parents ponying up the dough for college?

I get the impression you have done little else in life except attend college. Could it be you have lost friends because they are tried of you rubbing their noses in your academic achievements that, according to you, anyone can pull off?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,152,615 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, if this doesn't mean that physical labor jobs, such as yours, are MORE legitimate than professional, white collar jobs that are more often held by college grads... What is the meaning of this post? Please explain...

Old 06-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm sorry, if this doesn't mean that physical labor jobs, such as yours, are MORE legitimate than professional, white collar jobs that are more often held by college grads... What is the meaning of this post? Please explain...

Did you read the quote to which I was responding? It seemed to me that caliguy was asserting that only college graduates have "real" jobs, and everybody else sits around like a lazy idiot complaining about how much life sucks. On top of which, he blatantly stated that "degree careers" are more difficult than everything else.

I was merely pointing out that some of us lazy idiots aren't lazy at all, and live pretty satisfying lives with "real" jobs, and typically work our @sses off in the process.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If education was cheaper, it would be available to more people. Who wants to go into debt just to get an education or a home?

That's the same reason that some people are content to NEVER own a home, because it brings with it a mortgage and debt. The only reason I got MY education is because of the military--and I was able to save the remainder. I can't afford to go into debt--moiney I haven't earned. Don't own any credit cards either.
It's amazing to me that some people will borrow money for a fancy car, but consider it heresy to borrow for college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
A lot of workplaces consider the institution where you earned the degree. Self-education is not as highly considered as a university degree. People find they get to a certain level and then need that degree to even be considered for a promotion. Then to go higher, they require an MBA. At least this is the way it is in Corporate America... "Fair" or not.
Most professions that require a license also require that you have completed an educational program. You cannot self-teach yourself nursing or teaching, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies