Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
"Well, they function just like the other weapons that are out"

This works to both sides argument.

"Well, if they function just like other rifles, why not let me buy them?"

"Well, if they function like other rifles, why not just buy the alternative?"

What is the purpose of an assault rifle? Is it to hunt, well there are far better hunting rifles. Is it for home defense, well shot guns are far better at home defense with the spread pattern. Is it for sniper activity and high accuracy shooting, well there are far better guns for that activity as well.

The only purpose for assault weapons, is so someone can play soldier on the weekends, thats it.

However, I don't want to tell law abiding citizens what they can and can't do either. I want to smoke Marijuana without being prosecuted for my choices, I understand if they want to buy assault weapons without fear of prosecution.

What we need is a better way of preventing the activities done with assault weapons that are illegal, and a better tracking system in place to prevent sales to people who can't/shouldn't have them in the first place.

I see it as two choices. Either limit the guns that everyone can own, or limit the sales. How do you limit the sales, by preventing private sales of firearms, period. No exceptions. This would put a lot of private gun salesmen out of business, and only licensed firearms dealers could be "middle men" to sale your gun to your buddy. But then you'd have to register all firearms, and people would claim thats an invasion of privacy.

So I'm not sure where the answer is. We can't just let everyone have whatever gun they want, and we can't continue to allow legitimate people to buy weapons, and sell them to people who aren't supposed to have them, or want them with no tracking whatsoever.

There are no good answers here, someones not going to like the answer. I see no reason why we can't track firearms though. As I've been told numerous times, on other issues (latest one, the Arizona immigration fight "Well if they aren't illegal, they have nothing to worry about"), then I see nothing wrong with tracking the sale and ownership of all firearms. After all, if you're not doing anything illegal, you've got nothing to worry about, right?
The biggest reason the ak is popular is that the ammo is dirt cheap and the gun is cheap. It's perfect for "shooting" even though it's not accurate. Unless you reload shooting any other caliber gets really expensive. Most of the import guns have cheap ammo compared to anything you can buy sold in Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
the assault weapons ban, banned a lot of semi automatic firearms for the sole reason that they looked like an assault weapon. take two otherwise identical weapons, the M16 and the AR15. the M16 is an assault weapon, the AR15 is not. the difference is the M16's selective fire ability, semiauto or 3 round burst fire, where as the AR15 is semiauto only.

the assault weapons ban was feel good legislation only. it made the liberals in congress look like they were being tough on crime by banning those "evil" weapons, and limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds or less. the reality though is that the number of crimes where an assault weapon, or even a rifle, is used is very low percentage wise.

what we need is criminal control, gun control is how many you can put in the ten ring.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:19 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The biggest reason the ak is popular is that the ammo is dirt cheap and the gun is cheap. It's perfect for "shooting" even though it's not accurate. Unless you reload shooting any other caliber gets really expensive. Most of the import guns have cheap ammo compared to anything you can buy sold in Walmart.
I will agree that the AK is popular, but the ammo is not dirt cheap, nor is the gun. It may be more economical than the AR variants but it's not cheap.

And not accurate? I can put a 6" group @ 125 yds. w/ iron sights. That's pretty damn accurate.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
So, when are republican governments in various states passing laws to allow any type of arms to be carried into government buildings?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
And not accurate? I can put a 6" group @ 125 yds. w/ iron sights. That's pretty damn accurate.
that is good for an AK47, but a tack driver it will never be.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that is good for an AK47, but a tack driver it will never be.
Thanks. And no, delicate work it will do. The AK is more for up close & personal (100 yds in) type of demo, not construction type jobs.

My 6.8 LWRC or FN SCAR will be used for those "delicate" jobs.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, when are republican governments in various states passing laws to allow any type of arms to be carried into government buildings?
You mean like European countries such as the Czech Republic allow right now? God forbid a country with an inalienable right to own firearms allow such a travesty to occur.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Thanks. And no, delicate work it will do. The AK is more for up close & personal (100 yds in) type of demo, not construction type jobs.

My 6.8 LWRC or FN SCAR will be used for those "delicate" jobs.
An AK-74 is no slouch. AR like accuracy with AK reliability, for only 10 cents/round. Also AKs are chambered in .223/5.56, such as an Arsenal SLR-106

Old 06-29-2010, 11:03 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You mean like European countries such as the Czech Republic allow right now? God forbid a country with an inalienable right to own firearms allow such a travesty to occur.
I can't speak for foreign countries... speaking about right here in America.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I can't speak for foreign countries... speaking about right here in America.
Well then, government buildings and college campuses make great places for a criminal to shoot up and maximize causalities due to very little to no resistance. Strategically take out the 1 or 2 guards and the rest of the innocents are like shooting fish in a barrel (no pun intended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies