Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:18 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post

Right, thats what they said in Rome.

VERY unlearned statement,nothing in the universe always has or always will.
Save God.
Speaking of "unlearned", you might want to learn how to insert a quote in a post.

It's fine for you to disagree with me, but insulting me is not productive.

Maybe it's the way that I said it that unnerves you, but the fact is that there are certain things that DO stay the same. There are ebbs and flows in the universe, what goes around comes around, etc., and so forth.

My suggestion is that no one man and his entourage can take down this country in 2 years or even 4 no matter how hard he tries ... and he is trying.

Rome wasn't built in a day and it wasn't destroyed in a day. You can disagree with that, but to suggest that my statement is "unlearned" simply insults me and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 AM

507 posts, read 879,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Speaking of "unlearned", you might want to learn how to insert a quote in a post.

It's fine for you to disagree with me, but insulting me is not productive.

Maybe it's the way that I said it that unnerves you, but the fact is that there are certain things that DO stay the same. There are ebbs and flows in the universe, what goes around comes around, etc., and so forth.

My suggestion is that no one man and his entourage can take down this country in 2 years or even 4 no matter how hard he tries ... and he is trying.

Rome wasn't built in a day and it wasn't destroyed in a day. You can disagree with that, but to suggest that my statement is "unlearned" simply insults me and nothing more.
Your'e right, the use of unlearned was unfortunate, I'm sorry.

Its just the use of "always" in any statement in any statement concerning history is both illogical annd ahistorical to such a degree that it renders said statement meaningless.

You have every right to adopt a mystical view of human affairs if you wish.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:42 AM

956 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Your'e right, the use of unlearned was unfortunate, I'm sorry.

Its just the use of "always" in any statement in any statement concerning history is both illogical annd ahistorical to such a degree that it renders said statement meaningless.

You have every right to adopt a mystical view of human affairs if you wish.
Oh, SO much better. LOL. So much less insulting to say illogical and ahistorical (is that really a word?).

Look ... we disagree. So be it. And I will give you this. In this tough world where reality can sometimes be beyond depressing, I do try to see the silver lining, look at the bright side. I don't have enough years left on this earth to spend them in misery. So forgive me for believing that good will out and we, as a country, will actually survive these extremely difficult times.

All that said, nothing I say is meaningless anymore than what you say. Everyone on this earth has a right to their opinion however formed.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:00 AM

507 posts, read 879,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Oh, SO much better. LOL. So much less insulting to say illogical and ahistorical (is that really a word?).

Look ... we disagree. So be it. And I will give you this. In this tough world where reality can sometimes be beyond depressing, I do try to see the silver lining, look at the bright side. I don't have enough years left on this earth to spend them in misery. So forgive me for believing that good will out and we, as a country, will actually survive these extremely difficult times.

All that said, nothing I say is meaningless anymore than what you say. Everyone on this earth has a right to their opinion however formed.

Whats true is, what isn't is not.
There is no reason to be "miserable" about the state of the US unless you have made it your God.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
We are in recovery. Slow, agonizingly so, but it's happening. Our economy has been so damaged in the last 4 years that hoping for a quick recovery is, to put it bluntly, pie in the sky.

Note about the author: Stephen J. Rose is a Research Professor at Georgetown University and author of Rebound: Why America Will Emerge Stronger From The Financial Crisis

Morning Is Coming | The New Republic

Morning Is Coming

Four reasons why the economy will roar back to life.

Do a thought experiment: Think back a year ago to what most analysts were predicting for the financial sector and for the state of the economy. In his newspaper column, Paul Krugman repeatedly warned that the policies adopted by the Bush and Obama administrations would have dire consequences. There was talk in other corners about no new business lending, slumping retail sales, and rising unemployment with no end in sight.
When the tax cuts expire next year, once again the economy will tank. There are plenty of people talking about how this will affect the economy and how it is painting and much too optimistic picture of what is happening in 10'. The worst is yet to come according to many economist. Hang on tight!

The economy will recover when we have people in DC that know what they are doing.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
When the tax cuts expire next year, once again the economy will tank. There are plenty of people talking about how this will affect the economy and how it is painting and much too optimistic picture of what is happening in 10'. The worst is yet to come according to many economist. Hang on tight!

The economy will recover when we have people in DC that know what they are doing.
I guess you think having the people who put us in this mess, are the ones able to get us out of this mess.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I guess you think having the people who put us in this mess, are the ones able to get us out of this mess.
Percieved blame. That is what makes a liberal happy. No solutions, just blame.

Bob, do you realize that we are in a very bad financial pickel? Spending massive amounts of money and insuring insolvency is like throwing gasoline on a blaze.

We HAVE TO CUT SPENDING DRAMATICALLY to survive as a nation. No liberal can face up to this fact and prefers to hide thier heads in the sand and wait for disaster to strike. Another posted the link that shows that tax increases alone cannot even erode the deficits, let alone the accumulated debt.

It is hard to accept but-

1. Social Security will have to be dramatically cut
2. Medicare will have to be dramatically cut
3. The military will have to be dramatically cut
4. Obamacare will have to be repealed.
5. Taxes will rise- for everybody, not just "the rich"

The next president will have a huge mess to clean up after Obama leaves office and it will be a bitter pill for the nation to swallow. It will probably take over a decade to clean up this mess, but we must do it, or cease to exist.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/25984 (broken link)

Old 07-04-2010, 07:41 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Percieved blame. That is what makes a liberal happy. No solutions, just blame.

Bob, do you realize that we are in a very bad financial pickel? Spending massive amounts of money and insuring insolvency is like throwing gasoline on a blaze.

We HAVE TO CUT SPENDING DRAMATICALLY to survive as a nation. No liberal can face up to this fact and prefers to hide thier heads in the sand and wait for disaster to strike. Another posted the link that shows that tax increases alone cannot even erode the deficits, let alone the accumulated debt.

It is hard to accept but-

1. Social Security will have to be dramatically cut
2. Medicare will have to be dramatically cut
3. The military will have to be dramatically cut
4. Obamacare will have to be repealed.
5. Taxes will rise- for everybody, not just "the rich"

The next president will have a huge mess to clean up after Obama leaves office and it will be a bitter pill for the nation to swallow. It will probably take over a decade to clean up this mess, but we must do it, or cease to exist.

The Tax Foundation - Can Income Tax Hikes Close the Deficit? (http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/25984 - broken link)

Exactly where we are headed and agree 100% "a bitter pill to swallow".
Hopefully more people will open their eyes and see what is in front of us.
No free lunch.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The economy will come back because it always comes back. The real question is how far it will come back, and what are the effects of Washington's policies on recovery.
Since FDR we have never had a Pres. as far left as this one. This will have dire effects on the economy.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
We are in recovery. Slow, agonizingly so, but it's happening. Our economy has been so damaged in the last 4 years that hoping for a quick recovery is, to put it bluntly, pie in the sky.

Note about the author: Stephen J. Rose is a Research Professor at Georgetown University and author of Rebound: Why America Will Emerge Stronger From The Financial Crisis

Morning Is Coming | The New Republic

Morning Is Coming

Four reasons why the economy will roar back to life.

Do a thought experiment: Think back a year ago to what most analysts were predicting for the financial sector and for the state of the economy. In his newspaper column, Paul Krugman repeatedly warned that the policies adopted by the Bush and Obama administrations would have dire consequences. There was talk in other corners about no new business lending, slumping retail sales, and rising unemployment with no end in sight.
Wonder what bankster wrote that one. The economy is not going to "roar back to life". It will have a tepid at best recovery because there are no more bubbles for the banksters to blow up. The USA is in a permanent state of decline in both living standards and prestige. We are a mature economy that is losing our industrail base at an alarming rate. Kia cannot build enough car plants and Apple cannot sell enough Iphones to make the economy recover to what it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies