Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times

Advertisements

We are in recovery. Slow, agonizingly so, but it's happening. Our economy has been so damaged in the last 4 years that hoping for a quick recovery is, to put it bluntly, pie in the sky.

Note about the author: Stephen J. Rose is a Research Professor at Georgetown University and author of Rebound: Why America Will Emerge Stronger From The Financial Crisis

Morning Is Coming | The New Republic

Morning Is Coming

Four reasons why the economy will roar back to life.

Do a thought experiment: Think back a year ago to what most analysts were predicting for the financial sector and for the state of the economy. In his newspaper column, Paul Krugman repeatedly warned that the policies adopted by the Bush and Obama administrations would have dire consequences. There was talk in other corners about no new business lending, slumping retail sales, and rising unemployment with no end in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
The economy will come back because it always comes back. The real question is how far it will come back, and what are the effects of Washington's policies on recovery.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
The economy will come back because it always comes back. The real question is how far it will come back, and what are the effects of Washington's policies on recovery.

Frankly, I think Gvt' should now be concentrating on reducing the deficit/debt.

If this means we have to raise taxes as well, then so be it. Somebody needs to make the tough decisions.

There is enough waste in Government that cutting budgets should be possible without much pain. Find the redundancies (and I'm sure there are lots, it's government after all.) and eliminate them.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Frankly, I think Gvt' should now be concentrating on reducing the deficit/debt.

If this means we have to raise taxes as well, then so be it. Somebody needs to make the tough decisions.

There is enough waste in Government that cutting budgets should be possible without much pain. Find the redundancies (and I'm sure there are lots, it's government after all.) and eliminate them.
I am not sure I agree with that combinations of solutions. Hoover tried just that and it didn't work out too well. I do think cutting spending is the answer along with cuts in capital gains taxes and business taxes.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
I agree, the economy will recover after the 15 year depression we are going into.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am not sure I agree with that combinations of solutions. Hoover tried just that and it didn't work out too well. I do think cutting spending is the answer along with cuts in capital gains taxes and business taxes.

I agree with lowering the capital gains and business taxes.

Also, tax incentives for business who are hiring. We aso need to make it more attractive to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US. When unemployment numbers a low, people have money to circulate back into the economy.

We also need to overhaul income tax.

What are your thoughts on the fair tax?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
We are in recovery. Slow, agonizingly so, but it's happening. Our economy has been so damaged in the last 4 years that hoping for a quick recovery is, to put it bluntly, pie in the sky.

Note about the author: Stephen J. Rose is a Research Professor at Georgetown University and author of Rebound: Why America Will Emerge Stronger From The Financial Crisis

Morning Is Coming | The New Republic

Morning Is Coming

Four reasons why the economy will roar back to life.

Do a thought experiment: Think back a year ago to what most analysts were predicting for the financial sector and for the state of the economy. In his newspaper column, Paul Krugman repeatedly warned that the policies adopted by the Bush and Obama administrations would have dire consequences. There was talk in other corners about no new business lending, slumping retail sales, and rising unemployment with no end in sight.
Have you seen an administration since Reagan, even he spent too much, stop the spending? You just can't see the forest for the trees and want to pin the blame on just the idiot Bush. We have been supporting these insane entitlement programs for decades now and your pets Freddie and Fannie were instrumental in bringing down the house and they are still in trouble and still being funded. This administration VP included conduct themselves like children and spend far too much energy blaming every one for their lack of clear plan. We won't have a roaring economy as long as we do not honestly address what causes the problem. You will not gain private sector jobs as long as they fear being taxed to death. Housing will not recover until we have private sector jobs growing.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Have you seen an administration since Reagan, even he spent too much, stop the spending? You just can't see the forest for the trees and want to pin the blame on just the idiot Bush. We have been supporting these insane entitlement programs for decades now and your pets Freddie and Fannie were instrumental in bringing down the house and they are still in trouble and still being funded. This administration VP included conduct themselves like children and spend far too much energy blaming every one for their lack of clear plan. We won't have a roaring economy as long as we do not honestly address what causes the problem. You will not gain private sector jobs as long as they fear being taxed to death. Housing will not recover until we have private sector jobs growing.

I don't "just blame Bush" It goes back farther than that. The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act was signed into law by President Clinton, and that allowed banks to trade in investments. The problem with blaming this recession solely on OBAMA is, that it was well under way before 2009.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:

Also, tax incentives for business who are hiring. We aso need to make it more attractive to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US. When unemployment numbers a low, people have money to circulate back into the economy.

What are your thoughts on the fair tax
?
I agree with a tax overhaul, dislike Fair Tax. I'd go with a relatively flat tax, say something like 15% on all income (including social security), with an exclusion of 15K for single folks and 30K for married couples (plus a $5K per dependent exemption).

Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:

What are your thoughts on the fair tax?

I am all for it, although it has no chance of becoming reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies