Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,193,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
True it never has been proven, and probably won't be in our life time. But let's be serious it's a way better chance that we evolved from animals than some powerful being making all the stuff around us.

God and religion is just like Santa or unicorns for that matter. I was a little kid once and believed in it all, I went to church, prayed, and went to confession. But just like Santa I stopped belivng in "God" and all the other sh*t that was put in my mind...I grew up.
If we evolved from animals, where did the animals come from? Why do we not see evolution today? Have you ever seen an animal evolve from pond scum?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:26 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Oh yea they should teach the kids creationism. And then teach them how Santa and Unicorns are real too.

You want to teach your kids that bull sh*t so badly put them through catholic school.
I asked the question, if you wanted to know what I thought you should have looked at the poll results (I voted no) instead of making a stupid post.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:27 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
If we evolved from animals, where did the animals come from?
You're kidding...I hope.

All Species Evolved From Single Cell, Study Finds Creationism called "absolutely horrible hypothesis"—statistically speaking.

All Species Evolved From Single Cell, Study Finds

Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Lets say, just for Sh's and Gig's, that Humans didn't evolve. We haven't found a "missing link". We have found bones that strongly resemble humans, and can closely determine that we have evolved from them, but then again, we are share 98% of the same DNA as a chimp.

We can study a dog skeleton, and determine that they "evolved" into the canine familiaris species, from the wolf canine lupis. We can also determine that they related to other canine families, and probably share a common ancestor.

We have found lemur fossils that are very old.

So no, we haven't "witnessed" evolution. Just as we didn't witness the meteor impact 65 million years ago. I guess we shouldn't teach that either, although we know that most dinosaurs died, there is a layer of iridium at the KT boundary, which just happens to be about 65 million years in the past.

So yeah, there are lots of things we haven't witnessed, but we know are true none the less. There is, at least, evidence that shows these things are true, and such is the case with evolution. Change happens in species, thats normal, we all know that, and that is evolution. When enough change happens, you have a new species, just as you did with dogs. (notice that all of the human/ape ancestors all start with "homo" in the name, just like dogs)

So if you want definitive proof, we humans have already given it to you. By breeding wolves with the right traits was found, it was breed with other wolves that had the same traits that we liked. After hundreds of thousands of years, we "evolved" a new species. Now, dogs aren't that far off genetically. The earliest accepted homo sapien fossil is about 200,000 years old. Its widely believed we've been around about 500,000 years, we just haven't found the fossils yet (we don't teach that in grade school though, because its a theory with a small t). Homo Erectus was around about 1.5 million years ago.

You see, we are very different from our relatives 500,000 or even 200,000 years ago. Dogs have just been around for at least 15,000 years, but are estimated to be a much older species than that. (Its hard to find dog fossils, we ate them when they died).

So, I hope this little short educational speech helped you understand why Evolution has been proven.

There are no such testable things as related to creation. Sure, you can theorize that creation caused this that and the other, but there is no proof.
I'll get into this more but I want to ask you what everything evolved from. You say man evolved from chimps, where did the chimps come from and why are we not seeing this evolution of humans from chimps happening today?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,873 times
Quote:
If we evolved from animals, where did the animals come from? Why do we not see evolution today? Have you ever seen an animal evolve from pond scum?
Not until today.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:31 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Students can go to Sunday school for that other garbage. Keep superstition and fairy tales out of the public schools.
You do realize that the public schools spend a significant amount of time teaching about Greek Mythology as well as other cultural belief systems, don't you? Why should the belief system of the Founding Fathers; i.e., Christianity, be left out?

Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Peppered moth evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You're kidding...I hope.

All Species Evolved From Single Cell, Study Finds Creationism called "absolutely horrible hypothesis"—statistically speaking.

Please...computer models? And you offer this as some sort of fact? Theory, that's all it is, more unproven theory.

1,476 posts, read 2,025,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You're kidding...I hope.

Where'd the single cell come from?

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
In a religion class, yes; in a science class, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies