Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
I can't speak for Calvinists but for me I have a mixture of strong faith along with wonder. God and science go together for me like steak and potatoes. In fact I believe that God is the ultimate scientist. He is capable of using his entire brain while we humans only use about 10% of it. What do you think about that?
I think it's a pretty common point of view and not unreasonable at all. And you might know this already, but...
snopes.com: Ten Percent of our Brains

Quote:
If it turns out that the BB theory is FACT then to me it will mean science discovered how God created the universe.
Unless the BB wasn't the ultimate beginning, and was instead part of a process... I wonder myself if string theory, or something like it, is valid, then God is the ultimate guitarist.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I think it's a pretty common point of view and not unreasonable at all. And you might know this already, but...
snopes.com: Ten Percent of our Brains

Unless the BB wasn't the ultimate beginning, and was instead part of a process... I wonder myself if string theory, or something like it, is valid, then God is the ultimate guitarist.
Dude...God is the ultimate guitarist.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:09 PM

372 posts, read 221,160 times
Quote:
Dude...God is the ultimate guitarist.
He is anything you want him to be since he is fictional.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
He is anything you want him to be since he is fictional.
In your opinion...

Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
And what if those that control the scientific journals won't allow contradicting viewpoints into them? We can only teach that which is approved by certain people that write journals?
No, we should only teach what is proved beyond a shadow of a doubt as scientifically acceptable.

Which is why we teach evolution in science classrooms, and not creationism.

@TrueGritt:

That's an excellent way to look at it. There's no need ot separate evolution from religious belief. Even the Pope recognizes this.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:17 PM

203 posts, read 278,832 times
Schools need to teach students about creationism. Even if it is not taught in science class, it absolutely needs to be taught in schools. How will students be literate enough to deal with the arguments of creationists if they dont know anything about creationism and what it teaches? In my religious high school, we learn about both. It is irresponsible to not teach them about creationism given how important an issue it is not only in this country but also in the developing world. Many Islamic nations and also African nations have large segments that believe in creationism. To be ignorant of the other sides viewpoints makes it more likely that you will be converted into their viewpoint. It also creates a backlash. Some, perhaps many, may find that they like the creationist message and resent the suppression of it. Ignoring and suppressing it is not the best way to eradicate the viewpoint. Let's face it, evolutionists want creationism in general to be outlawed by force of law and eradicated as soon as possible. They didnt even want the creationists to be allowed to have their own museum. Scientists wanted the govt to shutdown the creationist museum. There is no "tolerance" for the creationist point of view. Even though science is meant to encourage different viewpoints, it rarely is like that. Scientists were the people that were the most vehemently against plate tectonics of Wegener and the most hostile to Galileo.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Except the hoaxes that show that supposed "missing links" were not real? Oh..I'm sorry.....we just have no proof of it being REAL. So, really..you're arguing from silence.
Yes, there were hoaxes. Guess who and what exposed them? And since they were hoaxes, they do not count as evidence *for* evolution. They are also not evidence *against* it. I thought you said you were logical?

Citing handful of hoaxes, exposed by proper science, compared to vast amount of legitimate evidence support evolution is a pretty bad argument. It's nifty in that you do, as you have done consistently in this thread, manage to both avoid learning anything about the real evidence and avoid having to address it.

Put down the creationist playbook and start using your head.

Quote:
I honestly doubt you really understand it yourself, to be honest. If you did you'd realize it's a hoax.
Not as much as a professional paleontologist or biologist does, but I'm not without formal education in those topics. As for evolution being a hoax, you have been provided ample evidence to the contrary. It is obvious that you have no intention of addressing its validity, nor can you.

Quote:
Explain it IN YOUR OWN WORDS please!!!!!!!! Can you? you've provided a few links showing a contrived test supposedly supports what? The whole evolutionary theory? Or just one thing?
It's called evidence, and no amount will convince you, because you presuppose your conclusions and reject facts that do not fit those conclusions. That is the antithesis of logic.

[quote[lol....honestly. That's the best you've got? Really? And before that? You just keep pushing the big question back further. [/quote]

I think it far superior to your non-explanation.

Quote:
This is a joke, really. Use the noggin that God gave ya.
Says the guy that posed a hypothetical a page or two back that actually disproved Creationism. Heh.

Quote:
not quite. Show me where the energy came from to create that mass.
The BB.

Quote:
You have yet to answer the most basic question I'm asking. How did it all begin?
Nobody knows yet, which does not mean anything except nobody really knows yet - fully. You do understand what the argumentam ad ignorantum logical fallacy is, right? Because that is what you are doing with your questions. BTW, nice attempt to try and cover that you had no idea what I meant by "branes." LOL

Quote:
And your ability to think critically appears to be very very lacking. All you've done is regurgitate what your 10th grade science teacher taught you.
Says the guy that commits a logical fallacy in just about every post? I'll let the other posters decide which of us is the idiot here.

Quote:
Disprove it then. Please. I beg you to.
There's nothing to disprove, since there is no evidence to debate over. It's utterly lacking in any factual basis. If you disagree, please do post YOUR evidence here. We'll wait.

Quote:
Shall I go find some misguided "scientists" that claimed they had it all? Maybe the last few guys that came up with their "missing links"?
Again, the fact that you are even going to the missing link argument shows that you do not understand paleontology. All forms are transitional.

Quote:
Fine....don't put up and keep on babbling. Your ignorance is on display.
Been putting up evidence all day long, bub, and you've been dodging, ignoring, and evading addressing it all day long. What is the point, really, when you simply ignore the answers to your questions that you don't like.

And by the way, why is it that you don't answer questions put to you? Never mind. We know.

And your "logic"", oh my. It's just bad.

Quote:
Have you? I honestly doubt you could give me the central message to it, or that you could intelligently discuss it. Sorry...you just don't seem to have a grasp on it.
LOL Considering that we haven't even discussed it, this appears to be a pretty limp-wristed swipe. I can certainly grasp that a literal Genesis isn't possible.

Quote:
Yes. I've seen the evidence. I'm a product of the public school system. I think it came up a few times.
Then clearly you didn't understand it. You certainly are trying very hard to avoid addressing it as well. I would, if I were as ignorant of science as you are. Actually I wouldn't, come to think of it.

Quote:
Honestly? You're using strawman arguments. You seem to have no clue on how to actually answer the question I asked. You redefine it to say what you want so you can mock it and pretend to be smart.
And what argument did I make that was a straw man?
Again, when are you going to answer some questions? Why are you afraid to?
Anyone versed in logic (real logic) can see what is going on here.

Quote:
just answer the question. How did it all begin?
With a flash and a bang. Answer the question yourself. Let's see you answer some science questions. That should be a lot of fun.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
If a human was ever born who was able to use 100% of his brain, a person far superior to we mere mortals, do you think he may be considered a God?
You're using 100% of your brain right now.

I'm serious. Don't zap me with a lightning bolt please.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
Schools need to teach students about creationism. Even if it is not taught in science class, it absolutely needs to be taught in schools. How will students be literate enough to deal with the arguments of creationists if they dont know anything about creationism and what it teaches?
Sunday schools and Madrasas? Or, you could make the very same argument of teaching scientific theories at religious schools.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM

372 posts, read 221,160 times
Quote:
In your opinion...
Not a single fact has even been presented to the contrary, while a mountain range of evidence, albeit circumstantial, points to the conclusion that there is none.

If there is one, however, he needs to be hung by the neck for all the misery he inflicted on all living things. A sadistic bass turd if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies