Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:22 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually the governor said it well: I can not be the person to decide this, and this should not be something a legislation should decide, I hope the state can VOTE ON IT , so we can have a VOTE OF THE PEOPLE

kudo's to the governor for doing the correct thing

sorry, but the "popular" vote should never decide on BASIC civil rights.

Rights as guaranteed by the US Constitution is not something that should be voted by the people and decided by the popular vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Ok I have not read every post but enough to give my POV. First I am a conservative and I think gays SHOULD be allowed to get married. Second, marriage is NOT a religious thing, it is a contract between two people that is why you can get married by a justice of the peace or judge, even a ships captain. I will concede to those that do not want it called marriage but civil unions that mean the same thing as marriage I am not sure why people have an issue with that.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Linda Lingle is a heartless, craven toad, and the fact that she's been governor of a state yet is still not considered an up-and-coming star in the Republican Party says a lot to me. I think her talent and intelligence must be sorely lacking.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:51 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Linda Lingle is a heartless, craven toad, and the fact that she's been governor of a state yet is still not considered an up-and-coming star in the Republican Party says a lot to me. I think her talent and intelligence must be sorely lacking.
the loss to our economy is huge. we are a wedding destination island. civil unions would have boosted our local economy not only in air fares to get here, but hotels to stay in, food to eat, cars to rent, flowers, food, cakes, photographers, gift shops, clothing stores, tour activities. the list is endless and so was the revenue.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
What Hawaii can always do is pass a special tax on Linda Lingle, making her pay all of the money that Hawaii would have received through civil unions.

Really, I think the people who are stonewalling gay marriage need to be held accountable. If you say "We can ban gay marriage if ALL people who support the ban are penalized financially" then I'm for it.

Let's remove tax exemptions of all churches that politically campaign against gay marriage" (the ones who are for gay marriage simply have to sit out and let the inevitable happen, as they should also be punished if they campaign for gay marriage)

In this economy we cannot afford to stonewall against gay marriage anymore.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 PM

95 posts, read 141,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
What Hawaii can always do is pass a special tax on Linda Lingle, making her pay all of the money that Hawaii would have received through civil unions.

Really, I think the people who are stonewalling gay marriage need to be held accountable. If you say "We can ban gay marriage if ALL people who support the ban are penalized financially" then I'm for it.

Let's remove tax exemptions of all churches that politically campaign against gay marriage" (the ones who are for gay marriage simply have to sit out and let the inevitable happen, as they should also be punished if they campaign for gay marriage)

In this economy we cannot afford to stonewall against gay marriage anymore.

You must be a divorce attorney.

You do realize that civil unions have the same divorce rate as everyone else. One big reason that their is a massive push to get gay mariage recognized in one form or another, is so divorce attorneys can get a bigger piece of the pie.

Get your civil unions/marriage rights. The joke will be on you. Their is no common law marriage/partner issues for gay people. Their will be the same relationship issues that will end up as a statistic in divorce court.

Chew on that for a while.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:48 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
haha. lawyers want civil unions so they can get more moneY/

what a crock.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep on livin View Post
One big reason that their is a massive push to get gay mariage recognized in one form or another, is so divorce attorneys can get a bigger piece of the pie.
Good god. Another conspiracy theory.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:10 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Real sacred [sic]....when one in two ends in divorce....what do conservanuts think of that.
then why do gay people want it so bad?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
then why do gay people want it so bad?
Becaus gays feel like they should lecture us that homosexuality is a good thing. They accuse us conservatives of trying to indoctrinate our children by saying homosexuality is bad and gays are terrible people. The people under the gay agenda so the very same things they call us hypocrites for. They are pushing the gay agenda onto a population that has wholly rejected. Liberals always talk about respecting the will of the people but not when it comes to gay rights. No we must overturn all laws (especially Prop 8 which was voted on by the PEOPLE) dealing with homosexuality. More double standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies