Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sarah Palin is responsible for Alaska being named the worst state for business.
Strongly agree 7 18.42%
Somewhat agree 7 18.42%
Neither agree nor disagree 8 21.05%
Somewhat disagree 2 5.26%
Strongly disagree 14 36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Top five:

1. Texas
2. Virginia
3. Colorado
4. North Carolina
5. Massachusetts

Bottom five:

50. Alaska
49. Rhode Island
48. Hawaii
47. Nevada
46. West Virginia

America's top states for business

A lot of conservatives like to bash California as being bad for business, but the state ranks in the middle, at #32.

Should Alaska's ranking at #50 be considered indicative of Sarah Palin's economic leadership?

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 07-14-2010 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Top five:

1. Texas
2. Virginia
3. Colorado
4. North Carolina
5. Massachusetts

Bottom five:

50. Alaska
49. Rhode Island
48. Hawaii
47. Nevada
46. West Virginia

A lot of conservatives like to bash California as being bad for business, but the state ranks in the middle, at #32.
And California would rank much higher on this list if the 'cost of living' wasn't so high.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
MA in the top 5, and NV in the bottom? WTF? And WY at 14?

Not sure how they came up with those scores, and I really don't care enough to bother spending the time looking at the details, but I have to say, that's one messed up list... NV being at the bottom of the list is enough to tell me that they did something horribly wrong. And WY should be in the top 5.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Not sure how they came up with those scores, and I really don't care enough to bother spending the time looking at the details, but I have to say, that's one messed up list... NV being at the bottom of the list is enough to tell me that they did something horribly wrong. And WY should be in the top 5.
Based on what? Your biased opinions?

I love how you totally discredit the rankings, but also say that you're not going to even bother looking at the methodology.

When you come up with some real data, let us know.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Top five:

1. Texas
2. Virginia
3. Colorado
4. North Carolina
5. Massachusetts

Bottom five:

50. Alaska
49. Rhode Island
48. Hawaii
47. Nevada
46. West Virginia

Should Alaska's ranking at #50 be considered indicative of Sarah Palin's economic leadership?
The Repukes here are always bashing Washington state as bad for business too. You should hear them...every election it's the same thing.

Of course, they almost always lose...no wonder, they're not only liars, but according to your link they're wrong too...Washington is ranked 15th, not bad.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

::sign:: Once again, someone else has to do the work, minimal though that may be (as in CLICKING ON THE LINK).

CNBC's Top States For Business 2010—And The Winner Is Texas

"Our fourth annual study of America's Top States for Business puts all 50 states to the test, measuring them on 40 different metrics in ten key categories of competitiveness. We developed these categories back in 2007 with the help of business groups including the National Association of Manufacturers. And we weight the categories based on how frequently states use them as selling points to attract business. That way, we hold the states to their own standards, and tell you how they measure up. The categories and weightings, for a total of 2,500 points, are:
  • Cost of Doing Business (450 points)
  • Workforce (350 points)
  • Quality of Life (350 points)
  • Economy (314 points)
  • Transportation & Infrastructure (300 points)
  • Technology & Innovation (250 points)
  • Education(175 points)
  • Business Friendliness(175 points)
  • Access to Capital (50 points)
  • Cost of Living (25 points)
We use publicly available data on the metrics in each category to score the states, and then add up those scores to rank America’s Top States for Business."

Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Top five:

1. Texas
2. Virginia
3. Colorado
4. North Carolina
5. Massachusetts

Bottom five:

50. Alaska
49. Rhode Island
48. Hawaii
47. Nevada
46. West Virginia

No. Being so remote, having so harsh a climate, having little infrastructure, and the feds owning most of the land, makes it a little undesirable to many businesses.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Under those circumstances no I would say no governnor is responsible for that ranking.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
I would never consider moving my companies to Alaska even if they were a zero tax state. Shipping for example takes to long from the state. If you think that Alaska is doing things which is considered anti business, perhaps you can start by listing reasons for it. There is a reason Alaska PAYS people to live there, it because you cant get people to stay otherwise due to weather, not due to policy..

Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
The Repukes here are always bashing Washington state as bad for business too. You should hear them...every election it's the same thing.
Maybe you can list some examples because I havent seen those things taking place. Or are you again just making this up to find another reason to bash "Repukes".. You discredit yourself with every attacking post filled with lies..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies