Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:22 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times

Advertisements

I must say it's been amusing to watch the the tea partiers turn into cannibals. Worry not. These loose leafs have had their bags busted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 04:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
And thats your view and that will always be your view....EVEN THOUGH some blacks have come out and said how ridiculous the accusations from the NAACP are. You just don't like black people...we get it...but for your information, there are people who would consider being in the tea party...if it wasn't for some ELEMENTS of the group that are in fact racist.

here's and article from TheRoot.com and African-American online newspaper that addresses what I just said...but I doubt that you will read it...

Tea Party Hypocrisy and the Whiff of Racism

Quote:
For now, the NAACP should get out of the Tea Party-condemnation business, and the Tea Party should spend some time figuring out why, if they're not racist, so many people think they are
i would agree with this statement.

Good link. I never heard of The Root so thanks for that.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
NAACP Ben Jealous extended an olive branch to Mark Williams in an effort to tone down back and forth unproductive shots.

Mark Williams has given Mr. Jealous his personal contact info, and has removed the parody letter.
That's good. Why'd he remove it if there was nothing offensive in it? Why didn't he defend it to the death?

Old 07-18-2010, 04:36 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Back in Lincoln's time they refered to blacks as colored. Could that be the reason he used that term?

The majority of people who attend the TEA protests are not affilated with the Tea Party Express. We have three new Tea Parties that just started where I live and they have no affilations with any other group.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Back in Lincoln's time they refered to blacks as colored. Could that be the reason he used that term?

The majority of people who attend the TEA protests are not affilated with the Tea Party Express. We have three new Tea Parties that just started where I live and they have no affilations with any other group.
That's just so they can avoid repsonsibility for crap like that letter.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:13 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
i would agree with this statement.

Good link. I never heard of The Root so thanks for that.
You're welcome!!!! Its a good website and so its TheGrio.com

Old 07-18-2010, 05:16 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's just so they can avoid repsonsibility for crap like that letter.
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
This guy is an idiot, without a doubt. Not mildly, he should have some one making sure he can't choke on household objects.

I'm glad they expelled him from the national Tea Party. I love that he says that the Tea Party can't be racist because they are against corporate welfare. So by that reasoning Hitler wasn't racist because of his rhetoric, his segregation of different races, his extermination of millions of people...it was because he supported companies that agreed with his agenda.

That is so insanely stupid it doesn't even come close to a rational statement. I'm not sure if it even qualifies as wrong.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Too bad more blacks don't join Marcus
Oh, he is not alone!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:42 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's good. Why'd he remove it if there was nothing offensive in it? Why didn't he defend it to the death?
He didn't remove it because it's "offensive". Satire is always sensitive or offensive to the target. Basically he just held a mirror up to the NAACP.

The inability for some targets to see themselves in this satirical mirror, and that they deserve to be ridiculed, speaks to the steadily declining American intellect.

He has said many times prior to this that he believes the NAACP's use of "colored people" is offensive. Hence, his parody of the NAACP - which of course was a response, right or wrong - to the NAACP's blanket, unsubstantiated charge.

The article is available for anyone to read. He is saying he removed the letter because Ben Jealous basically apologized for starting the controversy with his resolution. Jealous claimed the NAACP wants to tone down its rhetoric and have open discussions.

Then Williams says he sent Jealous all of his contact information, and wrote this:

Quote:
Following what I believe to be a sincere move by Mr. Jealous I recognize that I have a responsibility to act in kind (just as I did in response to the NAACP’s anti-tea party resolution and what was said about us) and that the continued controversy over this post can only dectract from the discussions.
and this

Quote:
To that end and as a reciprocal gesture I have removed the parody letter you came here to read and urge you to fight those who seek to divide us by race, no matter the color of the racist.
Williams also invited Jealous to attend TP events to gain first-hand knowledge and to meet the members. Gee, I wonder why Jealous didn't think of that before composing his condemnation.

Letter to Lincoln « MarkTalk.com News & Commentary (http://www.marktalk.com/blog/?p=10387 - broken link)

So the ball is in the NAACP's court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies